2018 Live from the turkey woods

turkeyfeathers

Legal shooting should have been around 5:18am...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on where you're hunting. Here toward the eastern part of the state it was 5:01. Out in Ripley on the western border with PA sunrise was 5:53, so legal shooting was 5:23. That's about the latest shooting time you could have had today and still been in NY though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, whaler said:

One half hour before sunrise is 5:45am for you?

clean, I lifted my head, the bird hardly knew or cared. I need to figure out a better sight in my benelli.

I meant sunrise was 5:45 and still pretty dark so very dark at half hour before ( 5:15) which would have been legal. 

Benelli your dedicated turkey thumper ? Not cheap but look into Burris Fast Fire for optics. 

Thanks yes, it was dark and im sure i just didnt have a good set. He was coming fast, from roost to in my lap 1 minute. Ill look into burris. The benelli is a sbeII with a 28” barrell, its too long especially with the patternmaster code black in it. Its my duck gun which is now basically my turkey gun. Next year im going to get a dedicated 870 turkey gun. 

53 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I saw 5 hens today but nary a sight nor a sound from a tom...With all those hens around there MUST be a gobbler there someplace...Tomorrow is another day...

I saw one hen three times. :)

Never heard a gobble, got pretty darn wet and ate up by bugs.......not unheard of on a spring gobbler hunt.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I saw one hen three times. :)

Never heard a gobble, got pretty darn wet and ate up by bugs.......not unheard of on a spring gobbler hunt.

Bugs not bad here yet, Larry...Had the thermacell and never fired it  up...

Having one one my worst seasons as far as hearing gobblers...

• Like 1

Been trying to scout. Haven't heard a single gobble since youth weekend. Any time I try to roost turkeys for chance I might be able to hunt in the am, it ends up being a group of hens. That doesn't bother me though. What bothers me more is everytime I can hunt it's pouring freaking rain here! Numbers seem to be soo low idk if I should even take a bird.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hunted Sunday up in Columbia county- NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE hunting turkey for me or my “guide”

He bought some dekes and was given a slate caller and we set up off a field where we have seen turkey in the past. Nothing doing until about 8:00 when we were bored and decided to take a walk. (Funny how boredom slip in quickly when you are not confident or knowledgeable about what you are doing).
We decided to walk the edge of his property and just look/listen around. We get about 30 yards from our set up; he hits the call and gets a gobble response! Oh shit - now what! We find some quick cover and see a hen and small Tom start walking a trail to us. Pretty sure he was too aggressive as they make their way to a patch of woods and hi-tail it out of there!!!
Pretty cool though.

Walking out is where I find the first patch of oyster mushrooms and the true hunt was on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Hunted Sunday up in Columbia county- NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE hunting turkey for me or my “guide”

He bought some dekes and was given a slate caller and we set up off a field where we have seen turkey in the past. Nothing doing until about 8:00 when we were bored and decided to take a walk. (Funny how boredom slip in quickly when you are not confident or knowledgeable about what you are doing).
We decided to walk the edge of his property and just look/listen around. We get about 30 yards from our set up; he hits the call and gets a gobble response! Oh shit - now what! We find some quick cover and see a hen and small Tom start walking a trail to us. Pretty sure he was too aggressive as they make their way to a patch of woods and hi-tail it out of there!!!
Pretty cool though.

Walking out is where I find the first patch of oyster mushrooms and the true hunt was on

Awesome isn’t it ?! You hooked now ? 

Awesome isn’t it ?! You hooked now ? 

Honestly I’m not sure yet. Since I have no idea what I’m doing that gobble felt like an accident - a happy accident but I just feel better when I know I did something right, not just lucky- setting an alarm for 2:45 sux by the way

• Like 3

On 5/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bill Schmidt said:

ONION PETE--2 -- OLE BILL-- 0.     I think this is the first Gobbler, I have named. He beat me 2 days in a row!   I called him up to 70 yards. Strutting and white head. Going In circles. Before this he bred one of the 2 hens. First time to witness that. The other hen took him away. If, I had a TSS SHELL, I probably would have shot. 

change your decoy spread. few hens with no jake or set her down bedded in the dirt with the jake over her. move your setup a bit so it's not in the exact same spot. that's what i'd do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Ok so 6:30 pm jake walks across back yard. Two hours till sunset how far away will he be roosting? He was just puttering around feeding.

I’d cook him lol!!

He’s still got a good hour and more. Depends how far he waddles and how fast 

Edited by turkeyfeathers

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

Scoring at a golf tourney today (1 of my golfers is tied for 1st; another in 2nd) and three turkey SPRINT across the fairway.

Is that what they call a " Birdie". 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had three longbeards roosted last night. It was raining pretty good at 4:30 so I went back to bed. Drove up to the spot this morning before work at 6:30 and sure enough...three strutters were in the field with two jakes and three hens. One of the jakes kept get harassed and run off. Can't wait til tomorrow morning. I'll be waiting for them with the jake deke. Hopefully, they'll be back. They never do what you expect them to...we'll see what happens.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

turkey's walking across parking lots here in Albany and no rain looking out the office window. go figure.

Highfalutin Lebrun Rd jake was walking down the middle of the road in front of me this morning.  Lebrun Rd is a VERY high rent district here in Amherst. 

That's one smart bird to be hanging out there.......probably is fed somew high end grub and swims in only the best pools. :)

BdAv0Jx.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Highfalutin Lebrun Rd jake was walking down the middle of the road in front of me this morning.  Lebrun Rd is a VERY high rent district here in Amherst. 
That's one smart bird to be hanging out there.......probably is fed somew high end grub and swims in only the best pools.
BdAv0Jx.jpg&key=73c9c3ede36e8ae18fc7309a704f6862862c33d260db707988d5eb0c8ad83b5f
These were right outside "gun free" Starbucks in the grass. I doubt they wanted some fancy latte with soy milk. Maybe I underestimate these birds' intelligence.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Alright is this a jake or bearded hen?

ffc98c7fe15170e2e60883944feb9ba4.jpg

8bb7f5834a4313d2215f5687efa197ce.jpg

It roosted out back tonight and I was thinking of giving it a shot in the am but would rather not take a hen. Jake no problemo lol.

Hard to tell looks like a Jake to me  getem good luck

Edited by silent death