2018 NFL Draft

sodfather

Taking an RB as high as Barkley might go is like peeing away $100M over the next 5-7 years. Given analytics, that's a lot of money to be better used for ROI metrics. Barkley at #2 will be paid on the level with what McCoy currently makes. Think about that for a second. Getting a QB at a 5 year lock when the elite QBs now go for $25M-$30M per year is a much smarter play...that lock is much less than $25M/yr.

I believe he is the best RB since Peterson to come out, with a honorable mention to Elliott. Still, elite RBs don't cost $25-30M per year, they have a shorter shelf life, and can be reasonably replaced with cheaper and nearly as effective options. Elite QBs get the salary because of the rarity they are in the marketplace.

As much as I despise some of Mayfield's antics and decisions, his skillsets are solid. Question is whether he can simply mature. Allen...he's boom or absolute bust. Reminds of a Daunte Culpepper. Darnold and Rosen - both good, but neither excites me as the next elite QB. I'm sure one will make it though. Darnold's INT rate against collegiate level defensive backs does concern me - average NFL DBs are a big leap above the typical PAC 10 athlete.

Odds are that either Jackson or Rudolph will be a second-tier QB just below elite at some point. The other will be a product of the team's system or college format, and won't amount to much.

Mayfield in NO would be best landing spot for mentoring, but NO sucks for a player with weak off-the-field decisioning.

No idea who the Bills should take - as long as they get their guy, then it is what it is. This GM/HC pairing just might be the beginning of a growing future. I think this year and next year determines it - if they are both here for year four...there will be a dynasty. Not many teams set expectations of regression like they did this year - shows that they have a real grasp on leadership and talent development.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, phade said:

Taking an RB as high as Barkley might go is like peeing away $100M over the next 5-7 years. Given analytics, that's a lot of money to be better used for ROI metrics. Barkley at #2 will be paid on the level with what McCoy currently makes. Think about that for a second. Getting a QB at a 5 year lock when the elite QBs now go for $25M-$30M per year is a much smarter play...that lock is much less than $25M/yr.

I believe he is the best RB since Peterson to come out, with a honorable mention to Elliott. Still, elite RBs don't cost $25-30M per year, they have a shorter shelf life, and can be reasonably replaced with cheaper and nearly as effective options. Elite QBs get the salary because of the rarity they are in the marketplace.

As much as I despise some of Mayfield's antics and decisions, his skillsets are solid. Question is whether he can simply mature. Allen...he's boom or absolute bust. Reminds of a Daunte Culpepper. Darnold and Rosen - both good, but neither excites me as the next elite QB. I'm sure one will make it though. Darnold's INT rate against collegiate level defensive backs does concern me - average NFL DBs are a big leap above the typical PAC 10 athlete.

Odds are that either Jackson or Rudolph will be a second-tier QB just below elite at some point. The other will be a product of the team's system or college format, and won't amount to much.

Mayfield in NO would be best landing spot for mentoring, but NO sucks for a player with weak off-the-field decisioning.

No idea who the Bills should take - as long as they get their guy, then it is what it is. This GM/HC pairing just might be the beginning of a growing future. I think this year and next year determines it - if they are both here for year four...there will be a dynasty. Not many teams set expectations of regression like they did this year - shows that they have a real grasp on leadership and talent development.

There are rookie minimumuns and max. He wont be paid that much till year 3 or 4th or option year 5. Tradable asset def. Vs a maybe qb in 2 or 3 years.. paying a qb to sit the bench and develop.. I'd still take Barkley over an iffy QB draft

57 minutes ago, phade said:

Last years #2 pick, Trubisky, signed for about $29 million.  Barkley's figure, presuming he goes to the Giants at #2, would be in that ballpark.  However, Barkley will be a producer from Day 1 unlike rookie QB's who need time to develop.  Also, I think you left out Todd Gurley as a viable RB comparison to AD.

Drafting Barkley isn't going to put NY in cap hell either.  OBJ wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he will be after all of his antics and injuries.  In fact, he could still be traded tonight.  Think about it: with Barkley as the new face of the franchise, the team doesn't need OBJ anymore.  He's put up some nice stats, but hasn't done jack squat in a playoff game.  No one else on the current roster outside of Vernon is a mega contract possibility.  I say take Barkley and let him take the franchise to the Promised Land.

• Like 1

When was the last time a RB took a team to the SB and won it on his shoulders? And when was it not paired with an elite QB or near-elite QB? How many SBs has Peterson won? Gurley as noted? Bell - even with his QB.

There's been a few QBs who have carried the load to the SB and won. Marshawn Lynch might the closest and most recent high draft pick RB, but he didn't do it with a scrub QB, exactly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Last years #2 pick, Trubisky, signed for about $29 million.  Barkley's figure, presuming he goes to the Giants at #2, would be in that ballpark.  However, Barkley will be a producer from Day 1 unlike rookie QB's who need time to develop.  Also, I think you left out Todd Gurley as a viable RB comparison to AD.

Drafting Barkley isn't going to put NY in cap hell either.  OBJ wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he will be after all of his antics and injuries.  In fact, he could still be traded tonight.  Think about it: with Barkley as the new face of the franchise, the team doesn't need OBJ anymore.  He's put up some nice stats, but hasn't done jack squat in a playoff game.  No one else on the current roster outside of Vernon is a mega contract possibility.  I say take Barkley and let him take the franchise to the Promised Land.

I think the Giants best move would be Barkley and try to win now with Beckham and Eli now Barkley that looks pretty good on paper , plus now a new coach and a declining Dallas team 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, phade said:

When was the last time a RB took a team to the SB and won it on his shoulders? And when was it not paired with an elite QB or near-elite QB? How many SBs has Peterson won? Gurley as noted? Bell - even with his QB.

There's been a few QBs who have carried the load to the SB and won. Marshawn Lynch might the closest and most recent high draft pick RB, but he didn't do it with a scrub QB, exactly.

Lynch might have added a trophy had Pete Carroll not inexplicably called a pass play on the goal line in SB 49.  He was over 100 yds rushing that game.  Career, he averages almost 5 yds per carry in the playoffs.  However, he offers next to nothing in the passing game.  Barkley can do both.  

• Like 1

Just because they're the best of what's available doesn't put them as great QBs.  There are no Peyton Manning's or Andrew Lucks in this draft.  Guys who will step in day 1 and become a star.  Sure, maybe down the line, one of them will work their butt off and become a Kurt Warner or Drew Brees but there's just as much of a chance a guy like you said, Lamar Jackson doing that and he'll be available at the end of the 1st round.
Just look at the Giants backup QB, Davis Webb.  When Jared Goff left school, 2 backups fought for the starting job which Davis Webb won.  The person that lost?  Baker Mayfield.  Baker decided to transfer out.  So essentially the Giants 3rd round pick last year beat out the potential #1 pick this year for a starting job.  Eventually, Webb lost his job to Patrick Mahomes (the 10th pick last year who the Chiefs gave up two first round picks for).  Davis Webb then transferred and in his senior year, put up numbers just as good as the QBs in this years draft.
I know not everyone feels the same way but my strategy is if you have a shot at the next Peyton Manning, you take it.  But if you have a shot at the next Ryan Tannerhill or Joe Flacco...it's better to hit the reset button and try again next year because Joe Flacco will make sure you're stuck in mediocrity for the next 5-6 years.

McAdoo not playing Webb last year was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time

Who goes number 1 is the? Who will the bills get at 12? I think baker Mayfield is another johnny manziel. That's to be determined plus they say he's undersized.

He's so much better than Manziel in every way. It sounds like he's going #1. If he was one inch taller this wouldn't even be a conversation

The hole in that logic is that they aren’t getting a starting QB on a rookie salary, they would had gotten a backup QB on a rookie salary. Plus, people forget that the Giants already have Davis Webb and none of us know how Gettleman feels about Webb. Technically, they may already have a starting QB on a rookie salary. Lastly, when was the last time a QB drafted in the top 10 took their team to a Super Bowl victory that didn’t have Manning as a surname?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the pick love the deal 

A gamble. The next 4 teams all were locked at QB so Bills just need to jump to 10. I guess they were afraid Arizona might have jumped ahead of them.

50 minutes ago, Elmo said:

The hole in that logic is that they aren’t getting a starting QB on a rookie salary, they would had gotten a backup QB on a rookie salary. Plus, people forget that the Giants already have Davis Webb and none of us know how Gettleman feels about Webb. Technically, they may already have a starting QB on a rookie salary. Lastly, when was the last time a QB drafted in the top 10 took their team to a Super Bowl victory that didn’t have Manning as a surname?

Only 9 have made the playoffs in 25 years..a qb is a project for sure

A lot of guys on the Bills site are complaining about trading 2 #2 picks to move up and pick Josh Allen at #7 thinking they should have picked Josh Rosen . Allen has a good arm and good work ethics as well as attitude . There are a lot of arm chair GMs on that site ! :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I like the Tremaine Edmunds pick.  Looks like the Bills might have a good draft.  I preferred Rosen over Allen though.

I also like the Edmunds pick but I don’t think Rosen was the right fit for this town. I think he is good but just not for BFLO 

Problem I see (yes, fasteddie I'm an armchair QB), Buffalo Bills don't have a very good QB mentoring support system for developing Allen. Maybe the Bills should hire Brett Farve as QB coach... Also pretty dismal to think Petersen will be the starter in 2018. Don't quote me if he rises to the challenge.. lol