Round up question

So I have decided to put in a new plot and used roundup for the first time the other day. Before going forward I’ll give a little back story on the plot. My place was logged 3 years ago and i was going to use one of the more thinned out spots that only needed a few trees dropped to make about a acre plot. I went this week to go inspect and see what it would take to clear it out. To my surprise the whole area was over grown at least 3 feet high mostly with wild berries and thick brush. Needless to say I decided not to clear for a plot. That being said there is a over grown logging road that borders this thicket that would make a great plot next to the new cover. I mixed up the round up and sprayed the whole logging road. I went back two days later and could see some browning on the brush but no major die off. Can anyone tell me how long roundup will take to kill waist high brush and ferns ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its the stuff I use at work it may take a week or two....

We use generic round up chemicals called maddog, and ranger pro, with Simazine,  the simiazine is a pre-emergent that prevents regrowth.   I notice that the lower the vegetation that is sprayed, the sooner the results.   We are using concentrated chemicals though.....not sure if it comparable to your products though. 

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Chef, it will take a week or so to really kill it off.  You can seed 10 days after application, not sooner.  Roundup does kill “pretty much” everything, but not 100% everything.  Some tougher plants need either a stronger (or different) type chemical, or a second application. Pulling and tilling work too! 

• Like 1

Chef, it will take a week or so to really kill it off.  You can seed 10 days after application, not sooner.  Roundup does kill “pretty much” everything, but not 100% everything.  Some tougher plants need either a stronger (or different) type chemical, or a second application. Pulling and tilling work too! 

So my plan is to spray again next Saturday and then again the 2nd week of August... after which I will plant clover and radish.

21 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

So my plan is to spray again next Saturday and then again the 2nd week of August... after which I will plant clover and radish.

I’m not sure why you would want to make 3 applications.  Depending on what it is you are trying to kill, 1 should be enough.   As mentioned above, brush will need a higher dose per gallon.  Read the label.

There is no difference in the 18% or the 43%, just the concentration in the container.  when you read the labels you will see different amount per gallon depending on the concentration of the bottle you have.   Again, the best advice is to read the label.  

I think it is a good idea to wait until late August to plant, better chance of getting some rain and helping germination and early development.  So plan you killing of weeds to dates prior to that.  (And adjusted to when your schedule allows) 

I’m not sure why you would want to make 3 applications.  Depending on what it is you are trying to kill, 1 should be enough.   As mentioned above, brush will need a higher dose per gallon.  Read the label.
There is no difference in the 18% or the 43%, just the concentration in the container.  when you read the labels you will see different amount per gallon depending on the concentration of the bottle you have.   Again, the best advice is to read the label.  
I think it is a good idea to wait until late August to plant, better chance of getting some rain and helping germination and early development.  So plan you killing of weeds to dates prior to that.  (And adjusted to when your schedule allows) 

I figured there may be some regrowth after die off and it might need a 2nd spraying.... would you say that is not correct ?

There might be some new weeds,  I would just hit it with 2% mix 10-14 days before you plan to plant.   
Will you be doing any tilling or just throw and grow?

I don’t have anything to till with I was thinking about dragging a log behind my atv

That will work.  Just need to loosen up the top layer of soil.  I like to seed and then drag lightly over it again with a short section of chain link fence.  

That can be done

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I would have read this post before I sprayed my food plots. I picked up round up 18% glysophate mix 6oz to a gallon. I should have looked for a higher concentrate or added less water. I'm not sure if it will kill off all the weeds and grass? I won't be able to get back on it until mid August (I'll be out of town) and I was hoping to disc it up and spread a mix of clover and hog radish then. 

Also, i sprayed it yesterday morning and we got a lot of rain last night, hope it had time to work before it got washed off. Bottle says rain ready in 4 hours, really?

4 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I wish I would have read this post before I sprayed my food plots. I picked up round up 18% glysophate mix 6oz to a gallon. I should have looked for a higher concentrate or added less water. I'm not sure if it will kill off all the weeds and grass? I won't be able to get back on it until mid August (I'll be out of town) and I was hoping to disc it up and spread a mix of clover and hog radish then. 

Also, i sprayed it yesterday morning and we got a lot of rain last night, hope it had time to work before it got washed off. Bottle says rain ready in 4 hours, really?

usually its dry in and hour and will work. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 6:59 PM, chefhunter86 said:

I don’t have anything to till with I was thinking about dragging a log behind my atv

cut down a hawthorn tree and drag it will work amazing just watch out for them spikes..they hurt

First of all... Round-Up is a trade name product (the original) that contains Glyphosate as the active ingredient. The concentration purchased is immaterial... it's the finished / mixed dilution (% concentration) that matters. It won't kill everything, and tank mixing with other herbicides is generally ok (but sometimes issues can develop). It's best to try it on a small area and observe for a couple of weeks. Glyphosate also works better on plants actively growing... in other words if it's droughty or conditions for rapid target plant growth aren't present, your success will likely decrease. Once the original patent expired, many generics flooded the market. I've used a bunch of them and they all did fine. Typically, you won't see much evidence of action for at least a week. 

like everyone has said takes about 2weeks if your mixture was a low precentage due to buying only 16% and adding to much water the weeds where fully grown plus the rain you may not get a really good kill, i buy a 41% concentrate and mow the weeds off wait until regrowth starts then use a little more per gallon like 6oz per gallon and it kills everything, and due it when its hot and dry , maybe 3 or 4 days after a rain and no rain in the future forcast

I have been using Makaze the last few years, its a 41% gly concentrate. I also mix in some Activator 90, which is a surfactant, along with a bit of 2,4-D. This is the same type of mix that many farmers use to treat their fields. I usually get a deal on it, as I get it from the farmers who buy it in bulk. I tend to mix mine a bit heavier than most farmers do. I havent met a plant that this mix doesnt kill. It will start showing signs of working in about a week, and within 10-14 days everything is brown and crispy. As long as it has 1-4 hours to dry, it will work fine.

• Like 1

2 weeks after using 41% glysophate bought at TS (I think 24oz mixed with about 30 gallons of water) on a 1/2 acre or less plot pretty much killed all of the overgrown weeds/grasses in the plot.  I cut it before tilling but not even sure it was needed.  It looked mostly dead after 7 days but by the next Saturday it was clearly crispy.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I mix about 32oz per acre. and with my rig, that equals out to just under 15 gallons. and i have a successful kill each time as long as i make my passes accordingly lol. I get mine fom Runnings GLY-STAR 41% its usually $15-$19/gallon. Im going to start mixing in 2,4-d as well with a surfactant. Just in case, my brother messed with the calibration of my rig this year and i wasnt aware of it, kind of upset me just slightly... 

Since the last time i left a couple green lines, i now turned down the pressure, and hit it twice lightly so i dont miss any spots. going 90* to the first passes. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I mix about 32oz per acre. and with my rig, that equals out to just under 15 gallons. and i have a successful kill each time as long as i make my passes accordingly lol. I get mine fom Runnings GLY-STAR 41% its usually $15-$19/gallon. Im going to start mixing in 2,4-d as well with a surfactant. Just in case, my brother messed with the calibration of my rig this year and i wasnt aware of it, kind of upset me just slightly... 

Since the last time i left a couple green lines, i now turned down the pressure, and hit it twice lightly so i dont miss any spots. going 90* to the first passes. 

Next year I think Im gonna use some of that blue marking dye in mine to make it easier to see where Ive already gone over.

• Like 2