LIVE From The Woods 2018 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

burmjohn

I blew it yesterday #fromtheground

but it was fun

Tonight I had to resist the urge to stalk the lone doe who skirted by me at 40...

I almost got down 3 times...then I remembered I wanted to actually harvest one so I sat tight each time...to no avail, boring

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Neighbor said I could sit in one of hisbstands, down in the valley.  Within 5 minutes an 8 goes through some brush at 40 yards.  Lack of shooting lanes for the lose.  Rained like hell and blew all afternoon.  Probably the most uncomfortable conditions I've sat in.  But at least I saw some horn!

Blew it #ontheground tonight.

Walked out of the woods around 4:45 and while walking back to my truck I first hear what I thought was a doe blow and run off thru the grapes but I didn't see anything.....well I walk a few more rows and end up seeing that doe high tailing it down the grape row. No biggie ok only 10 minutes left of shooting time some I continue along. Low and behold as I am just about to my truck I look down the grape row from this little dip in the road that I am standing in and staring at me is a buck(#3 on our property).....now he not only stays put but postures up and starts walking towards me and stomping his hoof. I have my bow but no arrow knocked since the backup release I was using tonight was not opening properly while I was in my treestand earlier so when I got down I put it away. After it sunk in this deer wasn't moving I quickly decide he was around 25ish yards away and I am gonna shoot with my fingers. He now turns broadside I settle right above his heart and let it fly........no dice....arrow falls short and in the weeds under the grape Vines in front of him. He barley moves and starts walking to the next row...I quickly regroup and peak down the next row....he is there and another narrow racked 6 or 8 pops up....the original buck moves to the next row and there she is.....the hot doe he either had locked down or was trying to lock down. He wasn't going anywhere until she blew and bolted to taking him and the smaller buck with her.
On a side note this is a cam pic of that deer I encountered tonight.....he was very swollen and looked to have a chest like an NFL linebacker when he was facing me.

Overall great final 10 minutes....just makes the next few weeks that more fun.
f0d88571f0ec219736b851ac8cf536b4.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Walked out of the woods around 4:45 and while walking back to my truck I first hear what I thought was a doe blow and run off thru the grapes but I didn't see anything.....well I walk a few more rows and end up seeing that doe high tailing it down the grape row. No biggie ok only 10 minutes left of shooting time some I continue along. Low and behold as I am just about to my truck I look down the grape row from this little dip in the road that I am standing in and staring at me is a buck(#3 on our property).....now he not only stays put but postures up and starts walking towards me and stomping his hoof. I have my bow but no arrow knocked since the backup release I was using tonight was not opening properly while I was in my treestand earlier so when I got down I put it away. After it sunk in this deer wasn't moving I quickly decide he was around 25ish yards away and I am gonna shoot with my fingers. He now turns broadside I settle right above his heart and let it fly........no dice....arrow falls short and in the weeds under the grape Vines in front of him. He barley moves and starts walking to the next row...I quickly regroup and peak down the next row....he is there and another narrow racked 6 or 8 pops up....the original buck moves to the next row and there she is.....the hot doe he either had locked down or was trying to lock down. He wasn't going anywhere until she blew and bolted to taking him and the smaller buck with her.
On a side note this is a cam pic of that deer I encountered tonight.....he was very swollen and looked to have a chest like an NFL linebacker when he was facing me.

f0d88571f0ec219736b851ac8cf536b4.jpg&key=4baeb98e4b7cb425e2d6bbf75c20d23477027887eaad8864f16a9d93bbff1343

Damn. Cool experience. Just curious, why did you leave your stand before the close of legal light ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

ALL : I guess you guys were right, I do not have unlimited “likes”. When I go back to posts that I know I liked they aren’t there. How many do you get per day? I probably use them all before 9am

• Like 1

Damn. Cool experience. Just curious, why did you leave your stand before the close of legal light ?

Tried to get home around the same time as my wife and kids to be able to eat dinner with them. Leaving the stand a few minutes early allowed me that opportunity. I referee college soccer from Early August until just last week and family meals are a rarity this time of year.
Hunting is deff fun...but being able to sit down as a family is way better.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

f0d88571f0ec219736b851ac8cf536b4.jpg

Dont beat yourself up, cant hit a home run if you dont swing the bat. At least you got some action, alot of people yet to see a buck, going back a few seasons!

• Like 1

Dont beat yourself up, cant hit a home run if you dont swing the bat. At least you got some action, alot of people yet to see a buck, going back a few seasons!
Agree....it sure was fun. On my way home I called my buddy I hunt with and ended the conversation with....days like this are what makes hunting awesome.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Oh I don't know maybe someone is repeating a less than subliminal mantra...

You've already turned some of us into Manchurian Stalkers...I just woke from a fever-dream of missed ground opportunities...

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

He needs a better title though.  Like #stayinggrounded, or groundnpound, grounded,.......or this will never take off.  Lol

Oh and maybe shoot a deer from the ground too.  Lol

I think the other movement is taking over # blewitfromtheground. Three or four entries for that one yesterday.

20-30 mph winds with gusts of 50.  Rain all day.  I’ll pass 
Same here! Heavy rain this morning and saying wind gusts could exceed 50mph.

I'm fortunate enough that I can cancel and schedule vacation on the fly, so I decided to come into work. I'll use that vacation day next week, when the weather (and hopefully rut action), is better. Works out better for me, because I needed one more vacation day to have the entire week off anyways! I'll work a few more hours today and then be off until the 19th! NICE!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, turkeyfeathers said:

You catch him ? 

There's a trooper substation about .75 miles away from us.  They are waiting for him. I did not make the call. A friend texted me asking if I was out this morning, I said "that was not me" and he told me that the owner wished I was cause they have had issues with someone all week.  I hope they catch him walking the railroad tracks, its another expensive ticket.  

I have some scans today so I'm not hunting.