Any opinion? 4 pointer

DanielT

Today was my first hunt and it was good to see deer...passed on a big doe...she had fawn with her...

Then a spike ate...all around me ...

Then a big bodied cowhorn crotchhorn....came by...I chose to pass for today.....could this be an old buck going downhill ....or just a young stud

Sure is hard to let em walk

bbc7ba8fa9b8440437cf0e75750fbb49.jpg828227821ead5dd415f4dac1fd99016d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Still didnt answer my question....just your opinions on what to shoot
Older deer getting less points or young deer with great potential??
And the landowner has asked me to stick to 3 points on one side rule.... but when I showed him the deer this afternoon...he thinks its older and gave me clearance....hence my decision

9 hours ago, DanielT said:

Still didnt answer my question....just your opinions on what to shoot
Older deer getting less points or young deer with great potential??
And the landowner has asked me to stick to 3 points on one side rule.... but when I showed him the deer this afternoon...he thinks its older and gave me clearance....hence my decision

Ok, your question . Looking at the first photo it looks to me he still has a longer nose and doesn’t have that short Roman snout that a older buck would have. If he can make it a few more seasons he’ll be a dandy .. 

• Like 1

Today was my first hunt and it was good to see deer...passed on a big doe...she had fawn with her...
Then a spike ate...all around me ...
Then a big bodied cowhorn crotchhorn....came by...I chose to pass for today.....could this be an old buck going downhill ....or just a young stud
Sure is hard to let em walk
bbc7ba8fa9b8440437cf0e75750fbb49.jpg&key=4d27733f4b7dbdc8b7e4fbf47c3631dc6bd345b60bd678b6206393ce4e87bab9828227821ead5dd415f4dac1fd99016d.jpg&key=f419fe0f76099c848323e62b5802f7de1a77d1e057ba737b89ca3f0cae7077c7

He didn't curl your toe's when you first lay eye's him he walks. 2 1/2yr old. May be bigger, May just be a bigger 4 next year, and then would have one Zipped thru him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 8:34 PM, rob-c said:

Don’t pass on the first day that you would shoot on the last.. 

disagree. Especially on 10/4 and especially on a 4. I can understand dropping a nice 2.5 year old 8 early, but if you want to start lowering your standards a week before halloween is the right time. But 4 days into the season? Man that'd suck to have a booner walk out during the rut while you're doe only hunting. Even if that strategy means tag soup.

• Like 1