snipers shooting deer in East Amherst

goosifer

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The do it in Cornell area ..took a bit but now it's the norm

I'm sure if the public pressures the town to do it, it can happen, but it would take a lot to educate the public on why it's a better idea.  I agree people should be pushing for it, but i rarely see it happening.

What I don't understand is why the DEC doesn't educate the masses for us.

Edited by Rattler

There are lots of places that don't want hunters near there homes . But they will  trust the cops to do the job of getting rid of deer near there homes   . Some people especially in wealthy suburb areas , They don't like seeing anyone except a cop With a weapon in there hands .  Definitely hunting could be just as effective as cops at doing that . Just for the fact there are many more hunters .

I really don't like saying this but   Some people just don't like hunters or trust them , big reason I wish  i had a take down hunting rifle that fits in a pack just so I can go in and out of the parking lot at some of the locations I hunt with out getting the occasional dirty look from a jogger  ,hiker or neighbor when walking from the car to the woods with a weapon  .  It is what it is .

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, kpkot said:

It's that our police are Walmart security.  Amherst put in that super Walmart at bailey and Sheridan- cops are there all day. I wouldn't doubt if they take 10-20 calls a day there. 

Each Walmart on average generates 1,000 ,911 calls per year , one like yours could well be very much higher .

22 minutes ago, Rattler said:

that can happen now with cops shooting at them, especially when they make a poor shot.

Since they have been doing it for 25 years, they have gotten pretty good at it.   A trained police officer, with a scoped rifle, is far less likely to make a poor shot than a "recreational" bow-hunter.   Imagine the outcry, if a deer with an arrow thru its neck, was to appear in a school yard just as the kids were getting on or off the buses.   

The Amherst police are doing an exceptional job.   The fact that the venison is being used by food banks makes a big difference.  It is easy to take pokes at this situation, from a few hundred miles away, but if you had to drive thru that town every week day to get to work like I do you would appreciate it more. 

The hunting on my side of Transit road (in a town where hunting is still legal) was a bit easier back in the days when more of that " Amherst overflow" spilled over.  I don't mind having to hunt a bit harder and travel a bit more in order to fill the freezer these days.  If it were not such a fun activity, it might bother me more.   I love not needing to pay collision shops and insurance agents to fix up my car, and my wife loves the looks of all the pretty bushes around the house.       

Edited by wolc123

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Since they have been doing it for 25 years, they have gotten pretty good at it.   A trained police officer, with a scoped rifle, is far less likely to make a poor shot than a "recreational" bow-hunter.   Imagine the outcry, if a deer with an arrow thru its neck, was to appear in a school yard just as the kids were getting on or off the buses.   

The Amherst police are doing an exceptional job.   The fact that the venison is being used by food banks makes a big difference.  It is easy to take pokes at this situation, from a few hundred miles away, but if you had to drive thru that town every week day to get to work like I do you would appreciate it more. 

The hunting on my side of Transit road (in a town where hunting is still legal) was a bit easier back in the days when more of that " Amherst overflow" spilled over.  I don't mind having to hunt a bit harder and travel a bit more in order to fill the freezer these days.  If it were not such a fun activity, it might bother me a more.   I love not needing to pay collision shops and insurance agents to fix up my car, and my wife loves the looks of all the pretty bushes around the house.       

I see what your saying but lets not pretend our police force is filled with the off spring of Carlos Hathcock ,most probably barely pass the bare minimum requirement for marksmanship. 

• Like 2

But if I had to live there and pay taxes for them to do it, I'd be speaking out against it, especially since they never gave bow hunters a chance in the beginning.

BTW, why no out cry when kids see a deer that was hit by a car die in front of their eyes?

“  trained police officer “ . Most are not gun guys and not the greatest shots, many the only  “ practice “ is at their once or twice a year qualification, which shows how difficult that must be to pass .

There are exceptions .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rattler said:

But if I had to live there and pay taxes for them to do it, I'd be speaking out against it, especially since they never gave bow hunters a chance in the beginning.

BTW, why no out cry when kids see a deer that was hit by a car die in front of their eyes?

This is actually a "win-win" deal for the taxpayers.  The police get to practice their marksmanship on live, non-human targets, and the taxpayers see some return on their investments in the form of lowered insurance premiums and reduced landscape damage.  The "free" protein for the food banks is a big added bonus.   I don't know of any "loosers" in the situation.   God put deer on this Earth for man to eat and it sounds like that's what is happening.   I always wondered why they served sloppy joes so often up at the city mission.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

This is actually a "win-win" deal for the taxpayers.  The police get to practice their marksmanship on live, non-human targets, and the taxpayers see some return on their investments in the form of lowered insurance premiums and reduced landscape damage.  The "free" protein for the food banks is a big added bonus.   I don't know of any "loosers" in the situation.   God put deer on this Earth for man to eat and it sounds like that its what is happening.   I always wondered why they served sloppy joes so often up at the city mission.     

Actually, if the police were still allowed to do it on their own time, every benefit you cite here exists if bow hunters do the job.  Having to collect taxes to do it is a negative.

This is actually a "win-win" deal for the taxpayers.  The police get to practice their marksmanship on live, non-human targets, and the taxpayers see some return on their investments in the form of lowered insurance premiums and reduced landscape damage.  The "free" protein for the food banks is a big added bonus.   I don't know of any "loosers" in the situation.   God put deer on this Earth for man to eat and it sounds like that its what is happening.   I always wondered why they served sloppy joes so often up at the city mission.     

i-made-them-extra-shhhloppy-for-ya.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rattler said:

Actually, if the police were still allowed to do it on their own time, every benefit you cite here exists if bow hunters do the job.  Having to collect taxes to do it is a negative.

What about Mary and Lizzie watching that doe with the arrow thru her neck cross the road in front of the school bus ? 

3 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I hard someone let about 8-10 shots go when I was at the light on Sheridan and youngs by the golf course a couple weeks ago. Also heard a shot from my parents house by maple and Hopkins just two days ago. Maybe cops shooting deer? 

Either that or Amherst-Williamsville gangbanger turf wars

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I hard someone let about 8-10 shots go when I was at the light on Sheridan and youngs by the golf course a couple weeks ago. Also heard a shot from my parents house by maple and Hopkins just two days ago. Maybe cops shooting deer? 

Private shooting club right there. South side of Sheridan, across from Main Transit substation.  

Trap/skeet for members of Buffalo Country Club. 

• Like 1