Got Me A Maine Moose Tag!!!

Day 1, rained all day but we saw lots of sign then had a cow call to us from about 30 yards in the woods but it was so thick we couldn't even see her. sure did get the blood pumping though. Day 2 we saw a huge cow right at first light so my guide told me to get ready in case she had a bull with her. well I look through the scope and can't see a thing. it fogged up on the inside. I started to panic but the cow was alone. went back to camp and the guide let me use his rifle. 30-06 browning semi auto. he happened to be bear hunting the week before so he had it with him. went back out that afternoon and stumbled on a small bull about 40 yards away. was incredible just being in the presence of such an animal. Day 3, lots of sign again but didn't see or hear a thing. by this point we all put in a lot of miles but no one from camp got one yet. Day 4, morning was the same. didn't hear or see a thing. all the guides are thinking the rut just hasn't really kicked in yet so we change up our strategy for the afternoon. we sat in an open clear cut and wait to see if one comes cruising through. I'm sitting on a stump and my guide is on the ground. about 3:45pm I start smacking him in the arm saying "Big Bull, Big Bull!!!". he just walked right across us about 300 yards away not stopping once. so my guide starts grunting and racking and for a minute or two I thought he was gone. but then I hear the bull grunting and racking back. for about 15 - 20 minutes we go back and forth with him. couldn't see him but we would hear him come a little closer than get a little further. he goes silent for a minute or two then we hear him breaking branches as he circles around us to get down wind. before my guide even finishes saying "he's gonna come out right there" he was there. perfect broadside at 60 yards. first shot was a little far back but he turned away and looked back towards us and my second shot hit him through the bottom lip and nose. he runs about 20 yards and starts getting wobbly. hit him with a perfect third shot and he goes right down. unbelievable adrenaline rush!!! another guide and a helper come to help us quarter and pack it out. couldn't get it weighed but they all assumed it was over 700, probably closer to 800. 41 inch spread with nice paddles and symmetrical fronts. couldn't be happier with him!!! I spent the next 2 days going out with the guide and helping the other hunters from camp. I helped cut up and haul out another 40 inch bull for a client the next day. that same day another client who was hunting a different unit dropped a 52 incher. was an amazing experience!!! can't thank OMM outfitters enough!!! Hunt of a lifetime!!!

20190926_145451.jpg

20190926_162807.jpg

20190926_162811.jpg

20190926_163321.jpg

20190926_163328.jpg

20190929_091447.jpg

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, 518BowSlayer said:

only 3 years, wish I didn't mention that to some of the guys at camp. some have been putting in for almost 30

My cousin was the sub on his wife's tag he's been putting in 20 yrs for both of them.  He could get drawn next year for his own tag.