chipmunk relocation program

goosifer

So our backyard is wild kingdom this year with rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels. Mrs. Goose read about the horrors of chipmunks and the damage they do, and decreed that we must get rid of them. She bought two small havahart traps and put me to work. This morning we got two squirrels who got a free meal of peanut butter and sunflower seeds. They were released within 15 minutes of capture. They weren't too happy about the cage. This evening our luck was better--two chipmunks. We drove to a field about 2 miles away and released them. Hopefully they won't come back. How many more we need to relocate? I have no idea. Shame it's not squirrel season . . . .

2 minutes ago, goosifer said:

So our backyard is wild kingdom this year with rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels. Mrs. Goose read about the horrors of chipmunks and the damage they do, and decreed that we must get rid of them. She bought two small havahart traps and put me to work. This morning we got two squirrels who got a free meal of peanut butter and sunflower seeds. They were released within 15 minutes of capture. They weren't too happy about the cage. This evening our luck was better--two chipmunks. We drove to a field about 2 miles away and released them. Hopefully they won't come back. How many more we need to relocate? I have no idea. Shame it's not squirrel season . . . .

I had a friend that lived against a large park in Rochester.. he would catch squirrels and chipmunks that were raiding his raspberry bushes and transport them to far end if park.. after a while he realized they were beating him back to his house.. 

.he then decided to construct a  gas chamber off his car exhaust and that seemed to solve the problem

• Like 1

For chipmunks, it's hard the beat the Bucket of Death....

I used it on the property until the bears discovered it....Now  I might get a day or two before they discover it, but after that, forget it, because they come back every day... It's a good option if you don't have many bears around..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

Dad had a barrel that Had hole in the lid that he attached a hose to that ran off his lawn mower , unscrewed muffler and hose had a fitting that screwed on to where muffler was. Have a hart trap went into barrel with critters in it .

I had a cat that pissed all over the house , so cat made a trip over to Dads as well .

Our Beagle goes after the chipmunks , only downside is he chews up the downspouts where they like to hide .

• Like 2

I went with the Havaheart trap for a few seasons .... Until I decided to mark a little fella with Orange paint ( the kind they mark roads with ) and I used to drop them off a mile up the road and across the street by the power line , next day I caught the same little Orange Tailed Chipmonk .  Well I took him/her for a ride to the local Price Chopper parking lot and let him go in the middle of it and sure enough a Hawk swoops done and grabs him for lunch .... Gotta Love Nature !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Did the orange tail help the hawk pick him out?

I went with the Havaheart trap for a few seasons .... Until I decided to mark a little fella with Orange paint ( the kind they mark roads with ) and I used to drop them off a mile up the road and across the street by the power line , next day I caught the same little Orange Tailed Chipmonk .  Well I took him/her for a ride to the local Price Chopper parking lot and let him go in the middle of it and sure enough a Hawk swoops done and grabs him for lunch .... Gotta Love Nature !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1