What’s this?

crappyice

It's hard for me to judge size from the picture but it appears to be something I see frequently around pignut hickory trees.  My guess would be the female deposits eggs into something that burrows into diseased hickories with that spikey protuberance.

1 hour ago, bugsNbows said:

Parisitoid wasps lay eggs into various pest insects (such as caterpillars, beetles, etc) that eventually kill the pest species. They are generally smaller than their prey. They are not interested in humans! LOL

pretty sure these are the ones I just read about researching tomato horned worms. thought the tomato worms were responsible for the black spots on our beefsteak tomatoes but turns out you guys put me onto it's flower rot   Was not aware of these wasps until the other day. Once again you folks schooled me on a few things.

• Like 1

There are some neat videos on youtube about this.  It makes sense about these being attracted to diseased hickories, they always have these large maggots under the bark.  I imagine they are the prey.  If you cut a hickory tree up those wasps will appear in a matter of days, there must be a distinctive smell.  Life (and death) is amazing.

40 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I promise I did not kill it but it is indeed dead
Standard match for size comparison.
9a61b41758632cbe20e62647e260b7cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSI ing this and there is usually more than one match in a package .... I believe Jerkman is right! 

32 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

MURDERER!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1