Gun advice please

Good Day Gents, and Ladies.  First time poster long time lurker.  I am a second year hunter looking to pick up a riffle for the upcoming season.  Last year I believe I used a Reminigton 700 or 770 30-06.  Yesterdays dicks ad had a whole page of arms for sale and what caught my eye was a Browning A-Bolt Stalker for $499 and a Savage 111 Combo for $379.  I was looking for a little advice on what's a better bang for my buck.

Also, is a remington 11-87 Sportsman for $499 a good deal for an all around shotgun for trap/sporting clays, turkey, and the like? 

thanks!

If this is going to be a rifle you intend on keeping for your whole hunting lifetime I would suggest looking at the above mentioned 3 companies better rifles as the Browning A Bolt Medalion,Rimingtion 700 BDL,and Savage better grade of rifles.do some research you will find they are a better quality firearm then the cheepies.The shot gun I would go for the Rem. 870.You are going to see many so called sales and bargians for the next few months.The 30-06 is a good all around caliber you can get anywhere from 110 grain to 220 grain factory loaded ammo.The 870 you can get a very good selections of barrles for it.

I'm also a second year hunter so take my advice with a grain of salt but here's my points:

1. Best advice I heard from this forum is get the one that feels the best in your hand.  When I was deciding on my rifles, I eliminated certain ones just because their handles were too skinny, the forend didn't feel sturdy, it felt too light/cheap, etc.

2. The prices you've quoted are significantly lower than the listed MSRP.  So much so that it seems fishy to me.  Are they used guns?

3. Add me in with the Remington 700 camp.  I bought the 700 VTR in .308 and can't be happier.  The only thing I wish it had was a box magazine but I just didn't like the look of the 700 BDL.  Yes, the way a gun looks factored into my buying experience as well.  Sue me.

4. Everything you've quoted was in the $500 range so I'm assuming that's your budget.  Check out the Thompson/Center Venture.  I heard so many great things about that gun.

5. Why a semi-auto shotgun?  If money is an issue, you can get a pump action for much less than the semi-auto counter-parts.  If you really want to dig low, a lot of gun shops that are affilliated with law enforcement has used Mossberg 500's for sale.  I have been told that semi-auto has extra moving parts that can go wrong and thus not as reliable as simpler guns resulting in more jams (particularly in colder weather) if not properly maintained.  Again, take my advice with a grain of salt.  This was something that was advised to me from multiple "experts" and it seems to make sense.

Another option is used guns on online auctions.  Here's my experience with used online auctions.  I used auctionarms.com

My first bid was for a Savage Model 12 FVSS with a Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock chambered in .223.  I won the bid at $400.  The next day, the seller and I exchanged emails and agreed on payment process and a FFL.  I mailed him a bank check.  I emailed them back a couple of days later to see he received my check.  He emailed me back saying he was at a shooting competition in San Diego but he'll have someone in the shop call me.  I received a call an hour later from someone at the shop and they told me that the mail man just dropped it off and so they're going to ship it out immediately.  I received the rifle two days later.  I called Savage Arms and gave them serial number to the rifle and they confirmed that it is indeed the rifle the seller claimed it to be.  Everyone I show the gun to told me how great of a rifle it is (FFL, the range master).  When I told them I only paid $400 for it from an auction site, their jaws literally dropped!  Great product.  Great service.  Great experience.

Second experience with online auction.  I then won a bid for a scope to go with that gun.  I ended up winning at pretty much as much as the scope is worth so I didn't really save anything but it still is a brand new scope and not used.  I sent my payment the next day via PayPal.  After a week, I never heard from the guy so I sent an email.  No response.  I called and left a voicemail.  No response.  I called again and left another voicemail.  No response.  I emailed again threatening to ask PayPal to recover my payments.  He replied that he's sure he had already sent my scope but he can't check until he gets back in a week because he's on vacation.  I waited slightly more than a week and emailed him again.  He a couple of days later saying that it had indeed been sent and gave me the tracking number which I demanded.  I checked the tracking number, it was sent the day of his last email.  I ended up receiving the scope 5 weeks after I had paid for it.

Both the Remington and Savage are fine guns. Within the money you are talking, you wont have any problem finding a good rifle. As mentioned, T/c also has a fine bolt action. I prefer Rugers, which you might want to look at (I am not sure of their current prices). I also agree the package deals scopes tend to stink . I recently sighted in 3 different rifles purchased as a package, with their scopes. ALL 3 had defective scopes out  of the box, and were replaced. In each case, we put Nikon Pro staffs on (a relatively inexpensive, but excellent quality scope). I agree that the best thing you can do is handle each rifle side by side if possible, and compare features and fit. Functionally in the field, most likely you wont know the difference in firing or general dependability. The Weatherby I had (sold) was far from the most accurate or dependable arm I have owned. Thus it is down the line. Brownings are also expensive, but they also produce a lower end line than they used to, and fit and finish I have found to be no better than many other guns for less money.

doesnt matter brand of gun. it has to fit you and you need to be comfortable with the position of safety, operation of bolt, hand grip,legnt of pull, ect. if it fits it will be a great gun for you. some people like to pay for a name. This is a fact.. if its a company thats been around remingtion,sako,weatherby,winchester,marlin,ruger,ect its a good gun! A gun that wont last will not be bought and the company will not have any buisness and be forced to close. ill put some of my lest expensive guns against most people's expensive guns and out shoot them every time. what good is a 1000yd glass job and freefloating barrel if your average shot is going to be under 200 yrds? a nice gun  i'm sure but your paying for things you dont need or require for your shooting/hunting experiance.

i recently got a TC Venture in 30 06, and it flat out shoots.  Zeroed the scope in 6 rounds, and the first 3 shot group was .75" off of a sandbag (150gr remington corelok ammo from wally world).  I'm sure it would have been tighter if not for the shooter.  For $425, it can't be beat.  Light weight, handles well and looks good.  I could not be happier.

We can all tell you what to look for,but first find a gun in your budget that feels good in your hands and fits you.You don't need a cannon to hunt deer in NY.I also like Weatherby rifles,but I own Winchesters Remingtons and Brownings. Good luck. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll never go wrong with a Browning. The vast majority of firearms that I own are Brownings and I have NEVER had an issue with any of them. The A-Bolt is an awesome gun and at $500 it’s an awesome value. I have a stainless stalker in 7mm Rem and it’s been flawless for 20+ years. It’s topped off with a Leopold 3-9x40. I’d put that gun up against any gun form any other manufacturer. Having the privilege of hunting with many individuals over the years, Browning firearms have proved themselves over and over when other manufacturers’ products have failed. I’m going to be picking up a Browning X-Bolt for my son this year in 25-06. I can’t wait!

As far as shotguns go, I’m a Browning A-5 fan. They have a little more kick than the new gas operated models, but again they perform flawlessly in any conditions. We just recently purchased a Remington 1100 20 gauge 3” for my son and after shooting it 20 times, the gas operated mechanism broke. I want to be a Remington fan, (heck there made just down the road from me) but I’ve never had nor seen anyone have good luck with them.

I want to be a Remington fan, (heck there made just down the road from me) but I’ve never had nor seen anyone have good luck with them.

I would like to introduce myself then, as the first who HAS had good luck with several Remington firearms. Your Brownings are no doubt fine guns, but they surely aren't the only guns out there that will get the job done and outlive the owner with the littlest of care.

Gotta agrre with you Steve. I have owned about a dozen Remingtons...have 6 of them currently......never had one issue. The only caution I will give on them (and this speaks to their auto loaders)....over oiling in cold weather is a recipe for malfunction. They like to be oiled then wiped off. I don't know if it is the tight machining or just a function of how they operate but heavy oiling and cold don't mix with them...from my experience.

I would like to introduce myself then, as the first who HAS had good luck with several Remington firearms. Your Brownings are no doubt fine guns, but they surely aren't the only guns out there that will get the job done and outlive the owner with the littlest of care.

I know that there are many thousands of Remington firearms out there that have performed flawlessly for their owners. I'm not trying to take anything away from other manufacturers. But everyone that I know personally has had one issue or another with their Remington firearms (mostly shotguns) at one time or another.

JMHO if the Savage is the model with the adjustable trigger you should grab it. I got one in 300 mag in a package and paid more. If it's not adjustable look at the Marlin bolt actions. They do have adjustable triggers. My next gun will probably be a Marlin bolt action in 7-08. BTW I love Remington and have an 870 and 760. Last I would advise you to spend as little as possible because as you gain knowledge your taste will change and that's why I think the Savage is a great deal. If you're going to shoot skeetor trap you want an auto-loader to soak up some recoil. If you want a shotgun to hunt the 870 comes in a package with scope mounted rifled deer barrel and 26 in smooth bore for a good price. BTW am I the only one who saw the documentary about Remington bolt actions firing when taken off safe. Alot of accidents and internal memos acknowledging the problem.

I know that there are many thousands of Remington firearms out there that have performed flawlessly for their owners. I'm not trying to take anything away from other manufacturers. But everyone that I know personally has had one issue or another with their Remington firearms (mostly shotguns) at one time or another.

First off, I currently have 2 Remmys and know alot of others with them. Ive never heard any major complaints.

Second, if you think about it for a minute, a gun is mechanical, and all mechanical things are prone to some degree of failure. There are millions of Remington firearms out there, so theres bound to be issues with some of them. Remington also cannot control breakdowns due to lack of proper maintenance, or abuse.

The Remington trigger issues have been shown to be caused by lack of cleaning of the older style triggers. Deaths only occurred due to unsafe gun handling. If you do a search on this forum there are a couple of threads discussing it. The "documentary" was nothing but a hatchet piece put together by anti-gunners.