Southern Zone bears

Borngeechee

I am stuck out on Long Island these days of lockdown and we've had some severe windstorms. I am wondering about the fallen trees on the bear hunting land I have been to - I would imagine that bears would use the underside as dens in the winter. 

Would they also sleep in them during the seasons? Might these be spots to look for bears going to or coming from?

1 hour ago, bkspyder said:

I am stuck out on Long Island these days of lockdown and we've had some severe windstorms. I am wondering about the fallen trees on the bear hunting land I have been to - I would imagine that bears would use the underside as dens in the winter. 

Would they also sleep in them during the seasons? Might these be spots to look for bears going to or coming from?

Under deadfalls are prime bedding sites and if thick enough will den there for years. Illegal to take bear in den ,but many have run out of brush piles during deer season when hunters have walked up on top of them, bears are very light sleepers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to kill a bear in nys. No baiting means the bears can be anywhere. They are nomadic and dont have a home territory. It is a very beautiful place, and very wild. The catskills are real mountains. You will be in nature. 

Some of the best hunters I have ever had the pleasure to hunt with go to catskills every year.... they have been going for 7 or 8 years, usually at least 4 guys and have never killed a bear unless it was trying to get into someone's dumpster.

If you look at the county numbers, the counties that kill the most bears is still only a couple dozen bears for hundreds of square miles. Go for the experience.  Go forage for wild food. Do some fishing. Enjoy the thin clean air. Get comfortable with going for years and not connecting. When and if the moment happens you will never forget it.

North Maine woods is the spot. Otherwise I stack up a pile of geese this month for the freezer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

801-acre Hooker Mountain State Forest Otsego county, There are other forests close by that have bears.. Its a couple of miles off I88.

I got 3 bear on my place  One poor cub with no mama, 1 medium and this one.  this is the best pic and He is around every 4th day.I'm only 5 miles from hooker mt. The bear sighting have increased dramatically in the last 4 years.  I don't know where they are coming from but they are all over the place (1 got hit on I88 last month)

I don't shoot them as they can scream like people and I had enough of that 50 years ago. 

Good luck

image.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...