Texas Heart Shot

fasteddie

When I pull back the bow and a buck or doe is within 20 yards. I know.

I know when I release the arrow, or when a buck or doe is within 200 yards with my .06, sometimes when in "the zone" I know it is a dead deer.

I know it at the time...of the shot, gun or bow. when you get in that pure concentration zone...it happens.

But sometimes, we choose to shoot when we shouldn't...kind of a "hail mary." Hope and a prayer.

Blast away. What's an arrow?

To me, part of the killing of deer...that part of hunting...is all about making a perfect shot...that is shot selection and knowing our limitations. To me, that is part of what hunting is all about.

Now you may think that there is no shot is a sure kill. But I beg to differ. Telling other hunters...categorically that it is OK to shoot at the butt of a deer going away is bad in my mind.

I understand that a perfect shot, right down the pooper shute, through the stomach, diaphram, and into the heart and lungs can be done. But it is too iffy for the average Joe Hunter to ever attempt and just bring grief and anxiety at the end of spotty blood trail that can't be followed any more.

People have asked me to help find there deer on poor hits...it is an exercise in frustration and certainly not something that we should encourage by saying it is okay to shoot at the butt of a deer.

It is not OK.

say what you want, but until the bullet hits the deer... no shot is a sure kill...otherwise there would be no other need to take any other kind of shot but the so called sure shot... and nobody would be missing or wounding deer... some shots are just better than others but never sure...

... you say a 200 yard shot when you're "in the zone" is a high percentage shot... and I say I'd rather take a 50 yard THS than a 200 yard shot at anything... but thats me.. I know my limitations and I also know that nothing is for sure except death and taxes...

I don't have the time to read all of the messages on this thread but I think there is an ethical message if you read in between the lines.

I arrowed a doe once with a femoral artery shot. Not intentional as I totally blew my anchor point on a chest shot. Anyway, I got a buddy to help and we tracked her down, she was already dead and had traveled about 200 yards. Another time, I shot at a deer coming up the opposite side of a ravine from me. When I found it, within 100 yards, I was surprised that the foster slug had gone through her ham, broke her back leg, and traveled up through the length of her vitals. From my shot angle, I had expected the shot to be similar to shooting down from a tree stand into the chest cavity.

Anyway, the message is, don't take bad shot angles but if things don't turn out as planned make sure to put good effort into your tracking.

Verify every shot you take

Things will go wrong

The fact is the less lousy shots you take the less marginal performance you will find

If you are wondering about shooting up a deer's arse; I am guessing you have other aspects of your deer hunting that need to be addressed first imo

• 2 weeks later...