Deer rattling

First-light

Don't hear much of anyone doing this or at least talking about it. There was a time I used to rattle a lot. Back when Peter Fiduccia and Len Lee Rue came out with that video. I bought the synthetic horns and all. In all my years hunting I have rattled in one buck. He was a small 6 pt. Anyone else out there have more luck or experience. It is something cool to do when your having no luck and need to try different.

I've had only one time when rattling almost worked for me. I was in a bit of a thick area and just caught sight of the rear end of a buck exiting the area after he snuck in within 40 yards of me and got my wind (or saw me, I'm not sure which). After a whole lot of other attempts, I decided that my time in the woods would be better spent just being quiet rather than making a whole bunch of noise with rattling horns. I'm probably due to try it again just to see if I can get lucky. I do still hear some occasional stories of where the tactic has worked for some. And of course it is a regular theme of a lot of deer hunting shows on TV.

I've rattled in several bucks and does..but i dont rattle like they do on tv.. i use a rattle bag ..soft quiet grinding or ticking.. no smashing them like its the fight of the century or huffing blowing making a racket like they are smashing thru brush.. Every fight or sparing match ive witnessed has been in an open field./ open area.. so i rattle on the edge of an open field and expect the deer to come in downwind. usually to a partner 50 yards or more down wind of me..

Rattling seems to work pretty consistently for me... I think the key is not rattling to much or to often... I usually wait til about 9am on morning hunts and then ratlle 3 or 4 sequences, with 15 minute intervals.. I always use real horns (not synthetic and not a rattle bag)... I would say that it works 50% of the time...

What I have experienced is that often times smaller bucks will respond right away and the more mature bucks seem to hang back and are more cautious...

Called in a couple of real nice bucks last year and they both came to the 3rd or 4th sequence of rattling..

I agree that the doe bleat is a very good call as well. For me, it seems to work better in the evening

No it doesnt work at all so every one stop doing it ok? lol

We use the real deal instead of synthetic plastic crap, it works given the right conditions and the right touch. What you don't need to do is smash them together like you might see on TV, that may work but I think its done for the screen and not real life. We tickle the horns together lightly to simulate sparring, this has work far better than any thing else over the years. Case in point, my brother shot a 9 with the bow last year that he was able to turn and bring in a little closer by just lightly tapping the tines together.

Same goes for grunt tubes, they can be very effective but not so much if over used.

I hate carrying them ratteling horns because no matter what I do they end up poking and proding me some where around my over hanging gut. Ouch!

Oh wait I only shoot does...right Burt B)

I've rattled in many young bucks over the years... some that have literally come in running.. I use the tickle method and the crashing method.. both seem to work very well on young bucks... I have reattled in 2 bucks for other fellas to harvest but I have yet to kill a buck that I rattled in ... mainly because mature bucks will always come into the wind to investigate a sound that they are curious about... and I usually get busted being on the ground.. I think they must smell my cigar :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

The last week of october into the first week of november will be the "right" time of pre rut (chase phase)...tickle them light (not that BS you see on the shows) but remember that if youre not scent free or concealed you just "flushed that ground"

Peters stuff (inc webpage free vids) is good. Not a fan of plastic horns though and cannot stress enough it is when important but stealth is huge....and this call tactic is playing off testosterone filled bucks...some may not care...some may run

• 1 month later...

I have the pack rack to it never did work for me its small and easy to carry around so i got it threw it in and bad and havn't used it since lol.And the hole video thing to me is over rated they hunt farms full of deer 90% of the time ofcourse a deer is going to come along sooner than later,Thats like fishing in a swimming pool stocked with fish!!The bleet can has worked the best for me!!

I dont think rattling is as productive in areas with high doe to buck ratios (the Adirondacks for example). Why would a buck come rushing in looking for a fight over a doe when he has 20 others at his disposal.

Not to mention.. less competition reduces the number of buck fights and sparring..the deer aren't use to hearing the sound of knashing anthers.. therefore tend not to react to rattling

ive rattled in 3 bucks. won was a monster and was 400+ yds away so i was rattling hard to get his attention and he came in on a dead run just about. ive grunted one buck in blindly, all the other times ive grunted was to steer them into bow range. as for the bleat the deer just dont give a darn about it where im from. ive tried it when they were right in front of me and they just look and ignore.

I have to tell you guys this i seen a 6 point last night and this is no lie my old lady was the one to notice it was a buck,,She said look it's a buck,,lol,,I pulled out the pack rack and tryed it and no lie that thing let off a weexe and it and 3 doe took off running!!lol..I dont know why but he got scared and just booked i think the little guys will run in fear of getting there but kicked but hey who knows!!

My cousin used a bleat in heat can call one time and had a big doe stand up from some thick brush. He was in a treestand and shot the doe.I have no experience with any calls or rattling working for me, but I am sure it is right time-right place.And besides I needed those gadgets to put in my Christmas stocking over the years.

I rattled in two bucks last week of Oct? I grunted, they ignored me, I hit the can, they ignored me. I rattled, they looked at each other and turned right around and walk 100 yards to within 5 ft of my broadhead, no lie. The bigger one stayed 10 ft behind the little guy. When he looked up he cringed similar to a dog getting scolded. He turned around reall slow, then they both ran back down the field. I grunted and can called 1 time each. The larger buck went in the woods, but when I rattled again the spike came back! He was 30 yds away this time and went to the other corner of the field. The neighbor shot him Sunday, but whatever. this is the only time I can say for sure a buck came in to rattling. I've seen some bucks within 20 minutes to an hour after rattling too. It sure is cool when it works.