Live from the stand 2011

WNYBuckHunter

Went to West Point for a late afternoon hunt today. Place was pretty much empty. I asked the check-in station if it's been like this all day and he told me that there were a few more hunters in the morning but they left already. (We checked in at 1PM) Went to our spot and realize why. Nothing but ticks. It was so warm, I ended up hunting in a t-shirt and my blaze orange vest over it.

We climbed over the top of this mountain and went half way down the other side and decided to play with the electronic caller a bit with no true intentions of succeeding. But we just wanted to see if the caller really works. We set the caller 20 yards uphill from us and 30 yards south. First we tried Squirrel calls by a nest we saw squirrel hide in but no response. We then pulled the Doe Estrous call and then 20 minutes later we pulled the Fawn Distress call just for the heck of it. Nothing. So we went back to grab the caller, climbed another 10-20 yards back up the hill and over a ledge and we immediately saw two white butts running up the hill. We decided to follow them and caught a glimpse when we got back to the top but that was it. Never saw them again after that. The other hunters checking out at the end of the day also expressed the same frustration. They said at least we saw something.

I still don't know if we've actually called those does in successfully or if it was by chance we bumped into them. if we did call them in, then I can't believe I we kept looking downhill and never looked behind us.

PS: Antlerless deer is off limits after the 1st week at West Point.

Edited by Elmo

Always do..was waitin on my partner..but his battery is dead..is that an open opportunity for me to clean up?..i aint waitin all day..ive been sittin here waitin 20 min..had allready done some rattlin a coupla hills over..nothin movin..thats why its bedroom bustin times..get out the foghorns and whistles...yeehaw..

Was back in the stand yesterday for the first time since I filled my second tag on the gun opener (8 days, longest hiatus of the 2011 season), none seen.

Back at it today @2:00, calm, cloudy, warm.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Ugh, frustration sums up my whole season. I trimmed up a new path to my old stand, went home to change and to grab a quick bite. Well, upon my arrival back at my stand I see fresh foot prints in my boot prints and a freaking brand new rub under my stand!! Wtf!

None seen last night.

Today i took my gun for a long loop walk to my stand dragging the tarsal from my last doe...took about an hour....made to my stand about 2.

First time using tarsal....got the deer from this stand 11 days ago.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Well finally some action, had some time to burn before work so took a quick walk into my stand to check my camera, well and to hopefully see something. I did, a nice 8 about 80 yrds out. I bumped him as I was walking around the corner and he bounded off. I turn and there is a doe 10 yards behind me on the otherside of the creek, staring at me, she turned and ran back towards their bedding. Excited again and will be back in later. Sorry for the long post but finally some action!

Grabbed good binoc's at 10:30 and hit the ground...nothing on us...nor any of the neighboring properties I could see from us...which is a lot of land...nothing on cams and the one neighbor has had nothing as well...hoping to catch whom ever left a folded 5spot at the base of one of their stands

I did come across one fresh pile of droppings and a few fresh tracks