2011 Harvest thread

WNYBuckHunter

Awesome buck shawn...Those spine shots sure save the tracking job!!!!

Genesee..... I hunt mostly on the west side and alot of my time is spent around the hogsback!! To say sometimes things get interesting hunting the river bottom is an understatement!!! You know what its like as you have some of the best hunting in ny right in yur backyard. I really like the look on the east side as its much larger and more like big woods hunting!!! I have been hunting the park for like 17 years and i have learned what those whitetails will do to survive the hunting season.Sometimes its almost unfair to the deer where i have learned to put stands. I have had upwards of 30 deer in front of me on that riverbottom at times and unreal to just sit there and watch what they do.Most places i see them they just bed down and listen to all the bangin goin on around them... It would take either a fool or a couple young gun hunters full of piss and viniger to shoot a doe or small buck in those places..But they are there for the taking thats for sure!!!!! Good luck on the park this year...We may cross paths sometime and not even know it!!!!

i do alot of hunting in the river bottoms and the ridges above the river bottoms some great action in these areas but man when you get a deer in the bottom you really need to be prepared for a hard drag but its all worth it the park really is a great place to hunt

So here it is i got to my tree right around 630 i was very excited like always to get in my stand. At first light i had a small 8 and doe come by i watched them for 20 minutes until they dissapered. As the morning progressed i began to get tired when i get tired i begin to think and i remembered i was headed to delhi next week so i made a topic asking about state land. No sooner that i posted to the forum i heard a crash and out of No where i saw the ten point he came out at about 20 yards i new he was walking i figured id let him come as close as possible. But by the time he got to 15 yards i could no longer wait an drew back an released hitting the buck perfect. I heard him crash an he ran no more than 45 yards what a day. Rebound from my 12 point earlier this year.post-1422-0-65334100-1320441481_thumb.jp

So here it is i got to my tree right around 630 i was very excited like always to get in my stand. At first light i had a small 8 and doe come by i watched them for 20 minutes until they dissapered. As the morning progressed i began to get tired when i get tired i begin to think and i remembered i was headed to delhi next week so i made a topic asking about state land. No sooner that i posted to the forum i heard a crash and out of No where i saw the ten point he came out at about 20 yards i new he was walking i figured id let him come as close as possible. But by the time he got to 15 yards i could no longer wait an drew back an released hitting the buck perfect. I heard him crash an he ran no more than 45 yards what a day. Rebound from my 12 point earlier this year.post-1422-0-65334100-1320441481_thumb.jp

Really nice buck.......great job!!!! You took him on the Island I assume??????

Well what a morning. I sat on the edge of a fallow field on an inside corner, the stand has been pretty successful with 2 does taken from the stand as well as some buck activity. Sometime around 710 I had doe come out of the corner and into some 5 to 6 foot oak saplings, worked her way into a shooting lane, browsed a bit, about 10 seconds later I had a decent crotch horn come in on her trail. For some reason he headed up and around going about 30 yards up and then down. Strange I thought, but about 30 seconds after that I heard some grunting and out walked my buck. He was wide as his ears had decent tine lenght was my first impression, looking like a 2.5 year old. He came straight to the doe she bounding off about 15 yards and stopped. He then faced the other buck his ears back... I didnt hesitate grabbed my bow and placed my pin in the boiler room. Let it fly, great hit he ran 20 yards to the south did a half loop and head NW at the turn he started to wobble got to a 10 foot white pine and I same he go down. He made it may be 49 yards after impact. Double lung and got top portion of his heart. Some pics.

photo1.jpg

ec99a642.jpg

photo7.jpg

his brow tines or lack of are little acorns. Kinda of neat. neat to get a 11.11.11 buck too! Good luck guys! Hunt hard, hunt safe!