2011 Harvest thread

WNYBuckHunter

Now heres a story for the recors me and my buddy went into the woods around 6 yes very early but i had a feeling this cold weather is really going to kick things up a lil>so we sat there and after about 3 hours we started to gget cold and wet and we were going to leave,,So my buddy lights up a cig,,and i tell him man you blew are chances of getting a deer they can smell that blaa blaa blaa..well before that smoke even went out a little 3 pointer lol come crashing threw the thicker parts of the woods,,And my buddy shot it i didnt really wanna take em but he did we were on his land so it was out of my hands..It just got me that every one spends all this time and money in keeping there hunting gear clean and scent free and my buddy never really cared about it he gets a deer before me..But i did let a bigger 4 walk because im still hoping to get something better but hey cool story and it was his first buck!!

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas! Dropping his head off today to get it a european done on him. I only have one other european and its the do it yourself one with the plastic skull. Looks OK but difficult to get the spread and antler angle correct.

A friend use this guy in Dansville, NY $45 for the cleaning,, you pick the mounting board ranges 10 to 45, he can also bronze and do camo. I dont think he uses bugs.

I shot this 8 pointer yesterday morning. It was about 31 yards. I hit him right behind the right shoulder but didn't hit the heart. Somehow the arrow snapped off inside him and made it's way up through the left lung and stuck in the left shoulder blade. Tracking him was a nightmare since we had very heavy snow coming down and he wasn't bleeding well. He ran about 400 yards and started bedding and getting up every 5 yards. Then we found some stumbling tracks which led us to where he died in a small creek. My first buck ever. I'm usually a doe magnet.

post-767-0-33256500-1321155537_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I shot this 8 pointer yesterday morning. It was about 31 yards. I hit him right behind the right shoulder but didn't hit the heart. Somehow the arrow snapped off inside him and made it's way up through the left lung and stuck in the left shoulder blade. Tracking him was a nightmare since we had very heavy snow coming down and he wasn't bleeding well. He ran about 400 yards and started bedding and getting up every 5 yards. Then we found some stumbling tracks which led us to where he died in a small creek. My first buck ever. I'm usually a doe magnet.

good job

Thanks Fellas! Dropping his head off today to get it a european done on him. I only have one other european and its the do it yourself one with the plastic skull. Looks OK but difficult to get the spread and antler angle correct.

A friend use this guy in Dansville, NY $45 for the cleaning,, you pick the mounting board ranges 10 to 45, he can also bronze and do camo. I dont think he uses bugs.

Sent ya a message WNY - but who's the guy in Dansville? That's where I grew up.

Here's one NY and one Ohio kill.

I ended up shooting a small buck right before leaving for Ohio...it's was essentially my last day to bowhunt here in NY and was actually the first rutting action I saw all season. I rarely get to the "anything goes" point for my buck tag...but it was a tough season here in NY. Passed a ton of bucks but never had a bonafide 3.5 or older within shooting range. He'll do just fine for the tough season.

Ohio was a challenge based on the amount of corn still up and the weather. Passed on a 2.5 8 and kind of regret it as the back end of the week that looked real good weather-wise turned out nice and cold...but with 25 mph winds gusting to 35. It kept the deer in the corn for much of the day. The game cams revealed a ton of nice bucks at night...an unreal b:d ratio on unmanaged private ground.

My hunting partner/mentee took what is his biggest bow buck...a real nice hard quartering double lung shot. Shot looked bad at first when I saw it, but the angle was actually perfect. You can see the type of corn we had to deal with. I actually hunted in the tree on the other side of the lake to the left of his head...3 acres of woods around that lake and corn as far as the eye can see from 20 ft.

post-575-0-63274300-1321394119_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-07321500-1321394139_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-83962100-1321394152_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I got mine at 7:50 am. My first deer. I was in my stand and I knew the deer hung out near the manure pile by the barn. I called my buddy JP around 7:30 and asked him to take a walk out to the pile. This guy came up to my stand sniffing a little doe estrus. 40 yards broadside. He's skinned and hanging with three bags of ice in him.

post-1707-0-88190300-1321731354_thumb.jp

Filled my second tag of the season first thing this morning from my #1 stand, 40 yards quartering towards, up a severe slope about 35 ft below my tree stand, blew the lungs through a small section of guts.

She ran farther than my archery doe, about 60 yards then crash, crash...dead. This pic stinks because I use a waterproof (bloodproof) case for my iphone.

post-1622-0-87705500-1321745246_thumb.jp

Quite a bit bigger than my archery doe, 2.5 years thunder thighs and a big ass.

Anyway, still loving the county land, providing plenty of meat! Congrats to everyone filling tags today and all season.

18 inch 7 pt at a few minutes after 7:00. 95 yards with my smooth bore Browning. Dropped in its tracts . Let it lay for an hour as another guy was on stand watching same field, figured I let him have a chance at anything else that may come by.

Saw 14 plus deer today, another guy I was with took a big 8pt.

Just a cell phone pic. I'd have no idea how to post it .