weather

Dom

In bow season it is the rain. I won't chance a hit and not find. Some hits are perfect and they still don't bleed good. With a gun I will go and sit in a blind in the rain or heavy snow. I won't take long shots if it is raining I want a good clean shot with a gun. I like being out there as much as possable.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't bow hunt in a pouring rain unless I am in a pop-up blind . No sense in getting the gear soaked and have to do a lot of clean up , drying out , etc at the end of the day and have it screwed up for the following day .

If it's a light rain , that's okay . I have taken a few deer this way as they start to move . I used to pack up and leave when it would start sprinkling as I figured I didn't want to get caught in a down pour . As I would drive away , I would see deer out feeding in the fields ...........

Heavy rain/downpour makes it hard to bow hunt. I actually don't mind being in those elements as long as I stay relatively dry and warm. I hate those heavy rains when's it's like 35-38 degrees...it'd be better off snowing...I get cold quick in those kind of rains.

Gun hunting...probably the usual cold winter temps and a blowing wind. I don't usually have a problem with getting up early, but sometimes it's hard in December when it's 15 degrees and blowing wind. I still make it out, but I'm usually cursing everything under the sun in the process. Funny thing is, if that's the afternoon forecast, I don't seem to have near as hard of a time getting out there and toughing it out.

Wind-wise...as long as I feel safe in the stand, I'll hunt. Those afternoons with heavy winds usually have that little period of time where the wind dies around sunset. I find that period, regardless of point in season, to be productive for deer movement.

Edited by phade

I have a 3+ hour drive to my hunting area. With high winds in the forecast, I am staying home this weekend. Typically in the wind they rarely move in my area, so I will save myself some effort getting up there for little to nothing. Plus I was up there last weekend for turkeys and the woods are still very thick for this time in October. Waiting an extra week will let things thin out a bit more also. The high winds should shake the leaves off pretty good.