Corona Virus Thread

1 hour ago, Merlot said:

Is the 10 % drop, then the markets shut off?

Circuit breakers
Circuit-breaker points represent the thresholds at which trading is halted market-wide for single-day declines in the S&P 500 Index. Circuit breakers halt trading on the nation's stock markets during dramatic drops and are set at 7%, 13%, and 20% of the closing price for the previous day. The circuit breakers are calculated daily.

Level 1 halt (7%)

• Trading will halt for 15 minutes if drop occurs before 3:25 p.m.
  • At or after 3:25 p.m.—trading shall continue, unless there is a Level 3 halt.

Level 2 halt (13%)

• Trading will halt for 15 minutes if drop occurs before 3:25 p.m.
  • At or after 3:25 p.m.—trading shall continue, unless there is a Level 3 halt.

Level 3 halt (20%)

• At any time during the trading day—trading shall halt for the remainder of the trading day.

1 hour ago, OtiscoPaul said:

The Market is gonna close, you are fine with that, schools...what wimps. Obviously I understand the difference but shit

This thing is uncontrollable other than in the sense you can easily protect yourself by just avoiding people.

Is it fatal in this iteration...not likely but yeah one of the normal flu at risk groups, immune compromised oldies (50’s on this one gulp) but it’s possible it was 2 strains in China and luckily this “prissy” covid 19 is the common one...

the more it spreads the more chances to mutate again and maybe start targeting another group USUALLY targeted by flu season...I got 2 and now you got 1 yourself, and my brother has a 4 day old preme in an incubator right now so I’ll worry a little if it’s ok

No, I'm not worried. More about stock market than health.

12 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

I think we all are worried . I know I am . I have my elderly mom with copd ,my husband has diabetes, I take care of 4 daycare kids and I work in a store right next to the pharmacy  . People havking and coughing and sneezing  all around me

No, I'm not worried.

8 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Did anyone happen to listen to sirrusxm show about corona? 

This is not quyite an exact link but should be close:

https://blog.siriusxm.com/doctor-radio-nyu-langone-health-launch-24-7-public-service-channel-hotline-for-coronavirus/

The one doctor on there mirrored what Biz has been saying almost exactly and close to what I have been saying. Essentially the virus has been here, its not that bad, he cant understand what all the fuss is about.  The other doctor on the show mostly disagreed with him.  Interesting show I thought. Passed the time on the way back from hunting camp.

@Elmo : very interesting about your family being sick.  It does seem plausible, since JFK had direct nonstop flights to wuhan. Not a stretch to think some passengers had it..

Yea, every doctor i spoke to or through other doctors do not agree with the hype. the media should be selling this as how to protect elderly, etc. this is about them dying, not about healthy people getting sick and dying. the message is all wrong.

• Like 1

This thing is uncontrollable other than in the sense you can easily protect yourself by just avoiding people.

very narrow minded and ignorant viewpoint. Our society relies on interaction with people. There are many elderly and less fortunate that need services, most of our populations live in cities and take mass transit, our entire global supply chain requires human to human interaction.

Sure some of us live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere and live off deer and squirrel meat, but that's not how society works in 2020. "simply avoiding people" is not an option for all of 1% of people. Papist finally got his wish.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Belo said:

very narrow minded and ignorant viewpoint. Our society relies on interaction with people. There are many elderly and less fortunate that need services, most of our populations live in cities and take mass transit, our entire global supply chain requires human to human interaction.

Sure some of us live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere and live off deer and squirrel meat, but that's not how society works in 2020. "simply avoiding people" is not an option for all of 1% of people. Papist finally got his wish.

I don’t mean total isolation mathstranaut

In Italy where at the beginning one group of 5 brits gave it to an alpine resort they now have 16 million on a reasonable quarantine where of course you can go get your groceries but no you aren’t gonna “tough it out” in the subway for the big game.

I’ve considered my wife to be a carrier for many years now ......

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, sodfather said:

The market will be fine . In Jerkman we trust .

Unless he hit the Inverse with SDOW, he's  pawning his fiance's engagement ring in the diamond district right now!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

these always makes me laugh. Someone goes through all the effort to make a good joke and then use the wrong version of Your, or Their etc. 

My wife saw this on FB and I thought it was worth a laugh so i reposted here. A bit of levity for a heavy situation. But please, @Belofeel free to follow the instruction contained therein, lmao. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

My wife saw this on FB and I thought it was worth a laugh so i reposted here. A bit of levity for a heavy situation. But please, @Belofeel free to follow the instruction contained therein, lmao. 

just salty that i'm not going to hawaii. ignore me for the week :)

Prissy Scarsdale closed for a week. Somers has a parent with corona and they aren’t closed.

If most people don’t even have symptoms. And nobody really dying, why is this even a story? The H1N1 flu in 2009 killed 13,000 people. This is nowhere close. This feels like a media stunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keio, a Japanese American school is closing for the year!

I was at a golf coaches meeting with Scarsdale. Keio AND New Rochelle last week....can’t I get a day or two off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Our school district just sent out a notice about the way we rank students by GPA being exclusionary, and they misspelled the word "Survey"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

DEC has a great stocking program here. I'm hoping to post up some big holdover bows and browns soon. We also have brookies but they are usually on the small side. 

My next trip out there will you take me? I have a customer in Bethpage I should go see anyway. I promise I wont shake your hand so we dont get COVID-19

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My next trip out there will you take me? I have a customer in Bethpage I should go see anyway. I promise I wont shake your hand so we dont get COVID-19

parlayed with Bethpage Black?