arctic shield boot insulators

I've been contemplating getting a pair of these insulated boot covers as my feet really get cold when sitting in a stand for hours. I currently use an antiperspirant on my feet to try to control the sweating, wear a light sock and heavy wool sock over it, I bought Arctic pro muck boots this year, and i change my socks for the afternoon hunt. I've even tried toe warmers, still I get cold feet! My concern with these booties is most of the reviews I've read say that they wear them over lighter weight hunting boots. Where i hunt I need to wear 17" waterproof boots. Will these things work over insulated heavy rubber boots? 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/ABSOLUTE-OUTDOOR-ARCTICSHIELD-BOOT-INSULATORS/2811289.uts

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Icebreaker-Insulated-Boot-Blanket-Overboots/748998.uts

• Like 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

I have heard they are difficult to fit over mucks if you have a big foot.   If you can try a size up it may work.   After researching a bit I decided that xl would not likely fit over size 14 boots or at least be way too difficult to put on in stand.  

That's another issue, doing the juggling act while standing on a tree stand!

Just now, moog5050 said:

If you don’t mind a bigger footprint the rubber baffins with the insulated insert are crazy warm imo.   No covers or even heavy socks needed.  

Iv'e got a pair of rubber boots with a removable foam? insulated liner also. they work for a while but I still get cold feet. Rangers I believe is the brand. Bought them at Lockport outdoor supply, they worked  until thorns ripped the sides. 

I had a pair of something similar. Great idea, but wasnt practical for me. They were just one more thing to carry to and from the stand, and they were bulky. Then when I got to stand, trying to quietly get them on was a pain. In my experience, they would be good to keep in an enclosed blind. But if you have access to an enclosed blind you may already have a heater, so boots like this become unnecessary. 

On 2/8/2020 at 12:24 PM, moog5050 said:

I have heard they are difficult to fit over mucks if you have a big foot.   If you can try a size up it may work.   After researching a bit I decided that xl would not likely fit over size 14 boots or at least be way too difficult to put on in stand.  

I broke in the arctic pros that i bought for 99 dollars that you posted the link to . Took them out looking for rabbits yesterday and my feet were perfect the whole time. 

• Like 2

I bought these in a XXL  I can't really get them over the muck boots all the way. I haven't returned them yet so yesterday I tried them out at the ice rink I sat as close to ice as I could . I was only there for v2 hrs but my feet usually freeze there in my sneakers this time they were very warm when I left. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red said:

I bought these in a XXL  I can't really get them over the muck boots all the way. I haven't returned them yet so yesterday I tried them out at the ice rink I sat as close to ice as I could . I was only there for v2 hrs but my feet usually freeze there in my sneakers this time they were very warm when I left. 

What size muck do you wear.  

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

What size muck do you wear.  

I wear a size 12 in the muck boots. I can force these Over them but it's a PIA and I can't zipper them up. I kept them for those rare occasions that I wear my old leather rocky boots or for over my sneakers at the ice rinks.

I looked goofy sitting  with them on at the rink but don't care much about style lol 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, 2012_taco said:

I read the reviews on the heated insoles and most say they don't really work?

They work but are only good for so many steps, fine if you can get close to stand and not walk far.. a day of still hunting would wear them out

The cheap ones are not worth it .

My wife has the boot covers she wears a size 9 woman’s  and she likes them, but yes something more to carry and she has to force her boots into them . I assume your on a metal stand, I would try insulating your boots from the stand, maybe carry a small rug welcome mat to put your feet on. One thing I do is I’ll put a hot hand under my hat on my head, really works well to keep the rest of the body warm. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

I have these, the largest size available whatever that is. I wear size 14 Muck Arctic Pros and they do fit over them, but its NOT EASY, I actually have to slide my boot into a plastic bag so they slide into the cover without friction –  and they don't really work all that well with a heavy boot in my opinion.  You need to use a light boot/shoe to gain the most from them.   This past year I did something a little different that I read on another hunting site and decided to try it.

I bought Baffin camp slippers to wear under the boot blankets. No boots at all.  I walked in wearing lighter rubber boots, I also changed my socks after getting to my spot on one really long hike in. Overall, it worked very well, but is another item to carry in with you, yes they stuff into the boot covers and weigh nothing, but still another item to carry.  I tossed a few hand warmers inside and they were the warmest sits I have ever had. I DID actually do this in a tree stand twice. It wasn't easy, and I probably won't do it again, but for a blind it is very effective and VERY comfortable.  For tree stand sits, I'm done screwing around, I'm getting some warm pack boots next year.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.33.06 PM.png

Edited by Don_C

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:04 PM, 2012_taco said:

I've been contemplating getting a pair of these insulated boot covers as my feet really get cold when sitting in a stand for hours.

I have a similar type from Cabela's but only use them when it is super cold and they help. I only use them on the ground because if it's that cold I am definitely not sitting in a stand off the ground. I bought a bigger size so they slip off and on pretty easy and I can fold them up and stick them in my pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Icebreaker-Blanket-Large-Mossy-Breakup/dp/B0002EET0Q

You can also stick a hand warmer in them to make them even cozier

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1