How did you do

Lunkerbass21

I saw 2 doe late in the day before dark but my 17 yo son who I'm trying to get out of bed right now (5:53am Sun) saw a few. In the am he saw 4 doe and passed on 5pt. Afternoon hunt he saw 5 doe, a huge spike and a 4pt. Gotta try one more time to get his ass outta bed now. Headin' out at 6:15.

Woke up yesterday AM @ 5:45, ate breakfast, started to get ready to go out, came to my senses and went back to bed...thumbs_down.gif. Put a stand up later in the AM and headed out for the evening hunt around 4:00 despite the wind/rain. Had this little yearling 8-pt. come out around 5:30. He just showed up one my cams for the first time a couple of days ago. Real nice young buck, hopefully he can make it through a couple more seasons:

IMG_0730.jpg

IM000077nb.jpg

He bedded out in the field and I climbed down and snuck out without spooking him. I ran into a spike on the way out...we had a staredown @ 40 yds...I got within 20 yds...he just kept staring and finally let out a snort and spooked. He stopped at the edge of the woods and then started following me for a little ways as I walked back to the truck!!!

Heading up to the stand in a few minutes, the weather is a lot better this AM...

Sounds like you guys that were east of here had a decent day, probably better than most of us. This morning is gorgeous out, and what do you know? Im stuck in the house watching the kiddo. Ill be heading out this afternoon though, around 2:30 or 3pm. Good luck out there guys, I want to see some pics of deflated deer in the success thread today! B)

I hunted yesterday afternoon, in the Ithaca-Cortland area, and the weather was down right nasty, although the deer were moving from about 5pm until dark. I saw six doe all moving to their feeding area, and between the 3 of us hunting the 90 acres we saw 18 deer. Driving back to the Rochester area, I counted just over 30 deer along the road feeding. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight when I get back in the stand, and see where the wind is coming from. Good luck to all.

Opening morning I didn't see anything. Hunting partner jumped a nice buck about 40 yards from his stand.

Afternoon, the weather was horrible, but I sat out and saw 9 deer with one of them being a 1.5 yo...he was bumping the does off of the field about 40 yards away. Had one of those "moments" watching the deer in the field about 5:45 or so when two doe snuck by me at 10 yards and before I even knew they has stepped into tight cover...I got as far as clipping the release. I should have known better. To my defense, it was wet (quiet) and I could not see them approaching due to a cover screen of 8' saplings as thick as a multi-flora thicket. Certainly got my heart racing when they "appeared" out of nowhere.

Jumped does this a.m. on a hedgerow walking in the smart way (wind-wise) and paid the price as they blew and blew and blew for as far as the eye could see. Nothing while on the stand and then saw a nice buck returning to the lot I just left as I hit the truck at 10:00.

Such is life.

Things are looking pretty dismal here so far. I'm going to have to check the cameras just so I can say I saw a deer....lol. This was another tricky weather day. It started off pretty darn good and then all of a sudden I realized that the wind had snuck up again. Then the sun disappeared and it started drizzling. I bailed out about 11:00. The wind died down pretty good and the rain tapered off to a very light sprinkle, so I headed out to see what I could see this afternoon. The wind behaved, but this ugly heavy drizzle set in and soaked me up pretty good. Being a bit stubborn, I made it through til almost quitting time and then headed for home.

I didn't hear any details, and I'm not really sure exactly where all they were talking about, but the weatherman mentioned something about high wind warnings tomorrow in counties just west of us. So it sounds like tomorrow will be blowing away too. The only day this week that is supposed to be dry is going to blow the deer under cover. Can't catch a break with this stinking weather this year.

Headed to my lease this afternoon...first time ever hunting there. The wind was blowing wrong at the first stand, moved to another one but had to abandon that one too due to the rain. Ended up sitting underneath a cabin (front is raised up on stilts), had this little guy come by @ 15 yds, also drew back on a small doe @ 30yds but decided to pass. Saw 6 deer total...

IMG_0743.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

Another awesome day. Morning was slow but had a 6 chase a doe right past my stand. The PM rocked.. Three 3.5's and something special thats staying a secret . Neighbors might be buggin this site. LOL Think he might be special !! Great weekend over all. 13 total bucks, at least five 3.5's and mister special who know has my attention.

Oh I took full advantage of the windy rainy weekend and spent all day saturday out in it and all morning sunday. I used the weather as a tweeking stand day lol. Saturday I seen 9 deer 8 of them does and one dandy 8 pt. After a morning watch on sunday I moved my stand I seen the deer in saturday about 30 yards. Everything stayed out of bow range on saturday as I setup on the wrong trail going into the wild apples grove. I seen deer and tweeked my setup, rain was nice to wash scent away for the last minute switch up. Be back at it tomarrow afternoon through wednesday. I do have to say if I did have any shot opportunities I would of passed on them anyways, somethings you cant control and somethings you can but tracking a blood trail in rain, dont think so. Sometimes the perfect shot goes wrong and not worth the chance. Sure was a blast however you look at it.

Got to my stand Saturday night around 3 pm with 30 mph gusts. While putting up my climber in the apple orchard, something told me to turn around and there are 3 fawns running helter skelter right at me. I froze and they put on the breaks about 10 ft from me then turned tail and split out of there. I climbed up as fast as I could and got settled in. 10 minutes later I had a billy buck and his fat momma feeding within 15 yrds of me on the apples. I tried to convince myself to shoot her because she was one of the biggest doe I had seen in a long time but her billy still had spots down his back. I'm sure he was weened but he still needed mommas care so I let her go. I'm getting soft in my old age. They left after an hour of gorging on apples. After the 3rd tree fell down in the high wind and deciding I couldn't shoot straight with all the swaying my stand was doing I left and headed for a warm bowl of soup. Did not go out Sunday. Sat home and rattled my brain a little sighting in the 0/6 off the back porch.

Dave if you keep having days like that i am gunna start bugging your site and your stand!!! lol

LOL, Those deer were just visiting for the weekend.. All part of the new qdm whitetail exchange program we've implimented in section 8. Its all in the dec sylabus if you want to learn more about it. Not sure who's property they are scheduled to be on this week?? :bye:

Saturday was a bust for me, but yesterday was great! Got in my stand @ 2ish and had a 30 yard encounter with a big mature drop tine buck we named Picklefork. He was in the standing corn and never came out, so even though I could see him, there was no shot. There was a group of does in there that stuck around for a bit after he left.I tried getting one to come out by using a fawn bleat, and got one within the last couple of rows, but she just wouldnt step out. Id call it a great afternoon.

Opening morning, saw about 40 deer on the drive out at 5, saw 2 about 30 yards from my car in the dark, a yote from 10 yards away in the dark, and a BIG set of eyes attack to some rack about 70 yards from my stand. Not going in that way anymore! Bust after that, switched to a travel corridor stand and 9am to 1pm, nothing. Went home. Spooked 2 on the way in to my orchard stand sunday, wind picked up, got out at 9 and saw 2 does in the field. Haven't been allowed to hunt an evening yet, but with the moon as bright as it is in the morning rights now + the wind, the bucks don't seem to be moving during daylight. My 2 target 8's visited my camera around 1am and 2am respectively both nights this weekend. Gotta get out for a dark sit.

Saturday was a day in the woods for me. Saw plenty of squirrels that was it. I think the Full Moon and the high winds on Saturday kept the deer bedded and not moving around all day. But, it's early season yet........

Good Luck to All! Be Safe!

Went out with my son (his first year) Saturday morning. Our first mission (per my wife) is to restock our venison. Not more than 15 minutes after sunrise, two "doe" came up the trail. My son shot at the first, but she ducked the shot and he shot right over her back. She ran a few yards and stopped in some brush. The second deer walked a couple more steps and I took a shot. Meat for the freezer. (More on that story later.) Sunday, we went out and about 8:30, three deer came down what we call "the corridor". The first (and largest) doe came right past the stand and provided a great quartering shot for my son at 15 yards. He took his time and made a nice shot. (A little forward, but good enough.) She went about a hundred yards where we found her later. She is the biggest doe I have seen in a LONG time! He is so excited and I couldn't be prouder.

So this is a SZ thread :spiteful: ?

Saturday morning before shooting light I'm in my stand and a huge deer is 15 yards behind me, fairly certain it was a doe but it didn't stick around for enough shooting light so could see any twigs or branches, at one point it was 25 yards broadside - it walked. Before 8am a pair of does passed 40-50 yards out then spooked up on something and reversed course.

Sunday morning I passed on a 4pnt, Sunday late hunt about 6pm I let the wind out of a nice doe.

Edited by Fantail