NYS Hunter Education Classes

grampy

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Not surprisingly, NY DEC has canceled all Hunter Education classes, until further notice.

Just an announcement I wanted to pass along.

When they restart, please let me know if you have a single day class. I will drive up with Natalie!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mowin said:

That's too bad.  Some disappointed kids that won't be able to chase those gobblers around. 

It really is. I had a forum member coming with his son, so that they could spring turkey hunt together.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

When they restart, please let me know if you have a single day class. I will drive up with Natalie!

I will make you the first person I call, when we reschedule the next class. I would be honored to have Natalie attend, and sign her certificate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Maybe someone will figure out how to do that on-line.   

This has been talked about in DEC for a few years now. As some states already do the course online. So far they are not changing to that. In NY, you need to complete the online course, and then attend the eight hour hands on instruction, to be certified. 

Not saying this because I'm an instructor. But in every class I've been a part of, there are always a few that have never held a firearm, or have done so very little. Much less be shown how to safely handle one. The hands on field instructions, are a way to actually work with students, with live fire, and the many different aspects of safe firearm handling. And other aspects of hunting too, like tree stand safety, blood tracking, and transporting firearms safely. 

Most people on this forum are more than qualified to be a mentor to their sons, daughters or other young people. But there are some young people who have a strong interest in hunting or shooting, that don't have anyone close to them, to show them the safe way to get started. We do that, and many of us volunteer to take young people out with a parent or guardian, to get them going farther in the right direction.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

This has been talked about in DEC for a few years now. As some states already do the course online. So far they are not changing to that. In NY, you need to complete the online course, and then attend the eight hour hands on instruction, to be certified. 

Not saying this because I'm an instructor. But in every class I've been a part of, there are always a few that have never held a firearm, or have done so very little. Much less be shown how to safely handle one. The hands on field instructions, are a way to actually work with students, with live fire, and the many different aspects of safe firearm handling. And other aspects of hunting too, like tree stand safety, blood tracking, and transporting firearms safely.

My son took his course last summer on Long Island and there was absolutely NO hands on with a gun and no shooting at all.  I sat in on the course with him. The instructor brought a few of his own firearms to show the group and it looked and sounded more like he was just showing them off.  No one got to touch or handle any of them. I'm surely not knocking every instructor out there, I'm sure there are good ones, but I was quite disappointed with the course my son attended. He definitely learned way more by himself with the online course that is require before attending the class than he did in the class itself.  At least from what I saw with the class he attended, I think an online only course would be more than sufficient.

I am just learning this as I am only an apprentice instructor.  Depending on where the class is taught, there may not be a suitable place for a live fire range, or the host facility may not allow live fire or ammunition on site.   (Schools, etc.)  Unfortunately, not every class can be taught at a gun club with  enough room for 30-50 students.

The DEC does provide dummy guns to show proper carry technique and the main parts of the gun as well as the different types of firearms.  Hopefully each student does have a mentor that will show them more of the proper gun handling.

One problem with the online only certification is I believe it leaves too much room for someone taking the online class for someone else.  And as Grampy mentioned, there are other field training covering tree stands, blood tracking, etc.  It is well worth the effort and time for new hunters.    

Thinking of the situation today because of the Coronavirus, I can’t believe that all the schools using “online instruction” will be nearly as effective as Instruction in the classroom.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto said:

Thinking of the situation today because of the Coronavirus, I can’t believe that all the schools using “online instruction” will be nearly as effective as Instruction in the classroom.  

Welcome to the world of online GEDs & BS/BA degrees.

My son and I were scheduled in the class at Dave's club and received notice from both DEC and the club about the cancellation.

Nothing we can do but take it when we all get through the current challenge, but I am disappointed in myself for not getting him through the class earlier.  He just turned 12 in December and having gone with me before on successful hunts, he was looking forward to being behind the gun this year.

I was proud of him that he quickly put it into perspective with all that's going on and people getting sick and understood that in the big picture people's health and welfare were much more important.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 1:43 PM, Billyb6 said:

My son and I were scheduled in the class at Dave's club and received notice from both DEC and the club about the cancellation.

Nothing we can do but take it when we all get through the current challenge, but I am disappointed in myself for not getting him through the class earlier.  He just turned 12 in December and having gone with me before on successful hunts, he was looking forward to being behind the gun this year.

I was proud of him that he quickly put it into perspective with all that's going on and people getting sick and understood that in the big picture people's health and welfare were much more important.

I look forward to meeting you and your son at our next scheduled class Bill. I totally understand, how this is effecting some young hunters who were looking forward to tagging their first spring gobbler. 

We are already discussing making up this class, as soon as we are allowed to do so.

I look forward to meeting you and your son at our next scheduled class Bill. I totally understand, how this is effecting some young hunters who were looking forward to tagging their first spring gobbler. 
We are already discussing making up this class, as soon as we are allowed to do so.

What do ya think grampy....they gonna go online at least for this year? Most places that offer the course down here just y’all at the class it seems(no hands on)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first part of the hunter safety class being put up online is a "no-brainer". Maybe there needs to be a 2nd part, an at-home study session. The attendee should be required to get a cert sign-off by another NYS hunting license holder, R&G club, LEO, etc stating individual has been initially trained in safe firearm use/handling.

Grampy - I can see the hair on your neck already standing up. LOL. Just a thought.

The first part of the hunter safety class being put up online is a "no-brainer". Maybe there needs to be a 2nd part, an at-home study session. The attendee should be required to get a cert sign-off by another NYS hunting license holder, R&G club, LEO, etc stating individual has been initially trained in safe firearm use/handling.

Grampy - I can see the hair on your neck already standing up. LOL. Just a thought.

I don’t understand the “online” part that keeps getting mentioned. There is a reading and homework questions that is available online and in paper form. Is that what you are talking about? Having gone through it again with our Field to Fork classes I can see why they do it. It at leas gives them a basic understanding of terms so they are somewhat prepared for the in person class.

Grampy is the expert! But IRC there is the pre-reading and then two class sessions. Lecture and 2nd part is the practical, hands-on with firearm safety and whatever else instructor feels is appropriate or NYS mandates. Isn't this scenario still being used for both gun & bow safety classes. This 2nd session is what I was referring to as possibly being completed at-home after in-class session was completed.

Calling Grampy...!

Grampy is the expert! But IRC there is the pre-reading and then two class sessions. Lecture and 2nd part is the practical, hands-on with firearm safety and whatever else instructor feels is appropriate or NYS mandates. Isn't this scenario still being used for both gun & bow safety classes. This 2nd session is what I was referring to as possibly being completed at-home after in-class session was completed.
Calling Grampy...!

That’s how I see it. My boys (super busy and engaged in sports that suck up their time-our family choice to commit their time there) have completed the HW portion of the safety program. If somehow the “practical” part can be online that would be great. Especially since the course I attend 100 years ago had no real practical experience involved, nor did the bow safety course 50 years ago. Knowing where they are offers locally, I can’t see much practical lessons that couldn’t be taught online.

I like the idea of a licensed hunter somehow committed to/ verifying the hands on training. I know there are pitfalls to this plan but the limited courses that fill within hours of opening, limited trainers, and then lack of functionality for some courses need to be addressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Calling Grampy...!

home work  (paper form or online) followed by 8 hours of instruction. 

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

home work  (paper form or online) followed by 8 hours of instruction. 

That's it Bob.

Heck, I'm still learning myself! And have learned much from many of you! And add to my learning almost every time I go afield!

At this time, in NYS, right or wrong, a new hunter has to take the eight hour course, after doing the online homework. Do I feel that a modernization, of an online course could be used? Due to long wait lines, farther travel, and ease of use? YES! By all means, make it easier and more convenient. As other states have successfully done. But currently that is not the law here in NYS. So I do what I can now to help, any way possible, to get more hunters and shooters into our ranks. That's what my only motivation is.  My having to go through the long process to be certified to do so, was just a way for me to contribute.

When my grandson took the course, I was told that the number of instructors was dwindling, due to aging, and not enough young people coming in to get certified. Sound familiar? So I asked what I could do to help? Become an instructor I was told. I thought perhaps I could be a decent one, given my experience of years in the field without hurting anyone? Not like the egotistical SOB I took my bow course through, and even some current instructors! Who mostly bragged of his "accomplishments" and "superior" woodsmanship. The worst thing I could possibly do, is to come across like that. As that would surely crush any credibility I may or may not have. Just thought perhaps I could share with a beginner, some of the little helpful things, that may not be learned from a book? Like what does the fingers in a drop of deer blood tell you? Or the most comfortable way to safely carry a long gun in the crook of your elbow. Things that a beginner, with no mentor may not know?

I don't have all the answers, as to if an online course is better or worse. I'm just an older guy, trying to help where I can, given the current NYS hunting laws. 

That being said, I do try to give each and every class, at least one thing to take home, that they may not find in a book. If I do that, then perhaps the circle for me closes just a bit more.

I would like to add, that under the current circumstances, if a young hunter wants to get out there and hunt with their mentor. I feel they should be given the opportunity. With just the online portion of instruction. But I don't see that happening...... yet.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I would like to add, that under the current circumstances, if a young hunter wants to get out there and hunt with their mentor. I feel they should be given the opportunity. With just the online portion of instruction. But I don't see that happening...... yet.

I SO WISH that NY had a Apprentice hunting license like other states. Georgia allows you to go afield without a safety course but you are shoulder to shoulder with a licensed mentor. I think there may even be a requirement that the mentor can't be armed. I'll have to check on that one. 

Thanks for being an instructor. we really do need more of them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I SO WISH that NY had a Apprentice hunting license like other states. Georgia allows you to go afield without a safety course but you are shoulder to shoulder with a licensed mentor. I think there may even be a requirement that the mentor can't be armed. I'll have to check on that one. 

That makes too much sense to happen in NY! 

Jr. hunters at the ages of 14 and 15 can be close to their licensed mentors, to hunt big game here now. 

There is no hunting course out there, that will ever come close to a good mentor!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, from a personal standpoint I am grateful that DEC leaned forward on this issue.  My little guy took the course online and thanks to a very helpful town clerk we were able to get his license and tags.  I do however agree with the folks that feel ther should still be a "live" class.  I think there are a lot of kids that don't get the hands on support or training they should get outside of the class from a parent or mentor.

Will DEC continue the  online class after June?  I think only time will tell but I believe once you spill the water out of the glass it's pretty hard to get it back in there.

• Like 2