Cabela's / BassPro going to crap

UpStateRedNeck

I'm not a fan of Bass Pro, never have been.  When they bought out Cabela's 5? years ago, could see the writing on the wall.  Now I've had that opinion confirmed with the absolutely CRAP customer service.  Trying to return something, spent 40 minutes in an online queue that kept getting bumped back and back, only to have them disconnect me when I didn't answer immediately because one of my kids was having a fit.  Now I'm sitting in the customer service phone line, no wait #, no queue time, just the same obnoxious message every 10 seconds.  Haven't been impressed with the quality of their stuff of late, either.

Whenever I used to call Cabela's, when it was still Cabela's, I got an American on the phone within 3 minutes of calling, even on the weekend.  And it was straight forward and quick.  I swear if I get "Dan" from "Indi(ana)" when someone finally picks up I'm going to tear into somebody.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

I’ve toured our local location mid April the last 2 years looking at turkey stuff but I didn’t need anything. No turkey ammo , no vests , no gloves , no headnets, no splatter targets to check guns. Calls were nil as were decoys. I thought about adding another dsd lead hen to my existing upright hen and Jake. No gots either 

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve toured our local location mid April the last 2 years looking at turkey stuff but I didn’t need anything. No turkey ammo , no vests , no gloves , no headnets, no splatter targets to check guns. Calls were nil as were decoys. I thought about adding another dsd lead hen to my existing upright hen and Jake. No gots either 

I just got an Avian X Jake from 'Zon earlier this week, pretty cheap too, like 55$.  I think I'm done with Cabelers permanently.  Their gear, better quality available cheaper elsewhere.  I used to really like their Cabela's brand stuff, pretty decent for the $.  Especially if you could find something like a base layer at the actual retail.  Now, nope.

Hey KUIU, would you like some $$?

• Like 1

I agree, Cabela's is definitely NOT what they used to be.  Luckily I haven't needed their customer service, but I know that you rarely get any good deals online anymore.  You used to be able to find some good stuff discounted in their bargain cave, but now there is hardly anything worth buying.  Everything is way over-priced on everything the sell. 

I’ve never really shopped at Cabelas but if your basing your opinion solely on their current customer service I hope your taking into account that their is currently a world wide pandemic going on and I’m sure their work force is greatly reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been a very long term Cabelas customer, both on line and in their retail stores. Their customer service used to be the best imaginable. Bass pro wasn't horrible, but Cabelas still was much more responsive. Cabelas was known for having generally better quality clothes, if not all hunting then certainly their casual /street wear. Their hunting/ reloading department is a fraction of what it was.

The last few times I went to a Cabelas store, the merchandising was thinner with fewer selections, and much of it was Bass pro brand (we do generally go the same time of year).  Cabelas is simply no longer as much fun to visit as it used to be. What I used to buy at Cabelas I do NOT now buy at Bass Pro. They don't carry what I want. I am sure that in the foreseeable future, all Cabelas locations will simply be a Bass Pro shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I have been a very long term Cabelas customer, both on line and in their retail stores. Their customer service used to be the best imaginable. Bass pro wasn't horrible, but Cabelas still was much more responsive. Cabelas was known for having generally better quality clothes, if not all hunting then certainly their casual /street wear. Their hunting/ reloading department is a fraction of what it was.

The last few times I went to a Cabelas store, the merchandising was thinner with fewer selections, and much of it was Bass pro brand (we do generally go the same time of year).  Cabelas is simply no longer as much fun to visit as it used to be. What I used to buy at Cabelas I do NOT now buy at Bass Pro. They don't carry what I want. I am sure that in the foreseeable future, all Cabelas locations will simply be a Bass Pro shop.

Well put.  And TF is spot on too.  We stopped there quick before a buffalo game last fall, lots of non-hunting goods, the Cabela's brand stuff was minimal, and cheaper looking.  The prices on their Sitka gear was laughably high.

I can't recommend the KUIU stuff enough.  It's pricey, but super well made.  

Have to say the bass pro in Utica is stacked with fishing lures.  Rows and rows .  Also lots of guns and bows etc.  I don't buy much hunting clothing there as it's expensive.  But still a good store that's worth the trip a couple of times a year for a 30 min drive for me. Bought my boat there as well at the tracker center. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Have to say the bass pro in Utica is stacked with fishing lures.  Rows and rows .  Also lots of guns and bows etc.  I don't buy much hunting clothing there as it's expensive.  But still a good store that's worth the trip a couple of times a year for a 30 min drive for me. Bought my boat there as well at the tracker center. 

Utica is where I go too. Usually in the spring for fishing stuff. And late summer for hunting stuff. You're right about the fishing lure section! Most anything you'd want is there. Always seems well stocked for my needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I miss ordering from Cabelas as a kid with my dad via catalog only. Those catalogs were so thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to get a pad and pen and make a list of all the things I wanted. I would have the page, the item name and catalog number all written down and ready to go.

• Like 1