What type of .30-06 ammunition to use for deer hunting?

mossy725

Wondering what everyone thought in regards to .30-06 ammunition for deer hunting? This is the first year my area is allowed to use rifle, so I was curious.

I've been looking into Winchester Super-X ammo (180 grain).

Thoughts/opinions?

Just looking for a lot of stopping power up to 150-200 yards.

Thanks.

My rifle likes 150 grainers, and I have nothing but good things to say about Remington Core-Lokt ammo. One shot puts 'em down every time.

Have you tried shooting 180 grain?

I'm shooting a Winchester Model 70 .30-06. Have only shot 180 grain. Might be something to look into.

What did you like better about the 150 grain?

Remington 700 BDL and it enjoys a diet of Federal Premium 165gr. I have shot chucks to bear with them and my one buddy borrowed it and took and Elk and a Moose with the same rounds. I have had good expansion and very good retention with them. Check the bullet swap thread if you are thinking about changing and want to try some different ones. I shoot the Corelok out of my 30-30 and they perform very well also.(180's in that)

A deer is not a big challenge to bullet construction, not nearly as much as big heavy boned animals like elk.

Any factory load that groups well in your rifle will perform well on deer from point blank to 300 yards, or probably farther.

If I were shooting factory loads in a 30-06, I would buy the cheapest ones that I could find in 150, 165, or 180 grains that group well in my rifle. Sight them in about 2-3 inches high at 100 yards. Hold dead center on the ribcage anywhere from 20 to 250 yards and squeeze the trigger..Dead deer. That's all there is to it.

I would try Remington green corelocts first.. Chances are you won't have to go any farther.

• Like 1

My father had terrible performance out of one of the winchester rounds...can't remember if it was accubond or silver tips. I think Accubond. they were punching right through. darn near looked like he was shooting a FMJ. I wouldn't use ballistic tips....Have seen crazy damage from them. Pygmy is right on...simple coreloks as long as they group

I completely agree with Pygmy. No need for the premium bullets to kill deer. I had used the premium stuff for years and didn't see any difference in killing performance over the cheaper stuff I started off with on deer years ago. The premium stuff can cost up to 3 times as much over the standard loads and in my opinion they aren't worth it for deer sized game.

A deer is not a big challenge to bullet construction, not nearly as much as big heavy boned animals like elk.

Any factory load that groups well in your rifle will perform well on deer from point blank to 300 yards, or probably farther.

If I were shooting factory loads in a 30-06, I would buy the cheapest ones that I could find in 150, 165, or 180 grains that group well in my rifle. Sight them in about 2-3 inches high at 100 yards. Hold dead center on the ribcage anywhere from 20 to 250 yards and squeeze the trigger..Dead deer. That's all there is to it.

I would try Remington green corelocts first.. Chances are you won't have to go any farther.

Great advice. Thanks man!

• Like 1

I like the Hornady SST. I've been using the 150gr. until this year I tried the 165gr. Superformance and my first group at 100 yards were touching each other. I may give that a shot out hunting. I gut shot a small doe last year with the 150gr. SST from over 100 yards and she ran about 25 yards and died. It tore her up pretty good. I got lucky. No more off hand rifle shots for me.

• Like 1

I have always preferred Federal ammo. I have taken deer with 180gr Federal H/E Nosler Partitions, 180gr Federal classic blue/grey box and Federal 150gr classic. The 180s dropped them in their tracks, but like everyone has said, whitetails don't really need a premium bullet. Now I have handloaded 150gr Hornady Interlocks so I might see how they work this year.

I am not firm on what to carry this year though because I have a bunch of handloads that I want to try out. The .30-06 150gr Interlocks, .30-30 150gr Woodleigh Weldcores, .450 Marlin 250gr Barnes TSX and .45 Colt 250gr LRN!

I use the standard win. 165 grain and love em.And shot placement is all on the shooter im pretty good i have shot thousands of rounds threw my 30-06 so with 5 shots from 150 yards their allways with in a inch and a half.I like to shoot from far away i have made a 300 yard shot with my gun.I know thats now that good but i was impressed lol..Good luck to all.And let us know how them bullets work!

• 3 weeks later...

winchester 165 grain power points for factory in my pre 64 model 70, tremendous power in the '06, you wnat to hold right on the shoulder with it and keep all that energy in the body, dont be holding on lungs and punching smoking fast holes through ribcages, which kills but the 30-ought-standby will anchor anything in its tracks right there if you hammer the shoulder and all that energy crashes thorugh the heart and lungs. You ever see anyone shot with a 308 they fall down but you hit them with a 30-06 and they literally are picked up and SLAMMED on the ground.

One. the critters say, one, thank you, is enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to he world of arguing versatility!!!! I have a bunch of 30-06's. I also handload, here is 30 years of my logic,.... In bolt actions I use a 150 gr bullet of moderate construction and I load it up around 3000 FPS at the muzzle. You can get the similar results in Federal Fusion, and Hornady Customs. I would STAY AWAY from the SST Polymer Tipped Hornady loadings. They are too light construction and explosive at impact when speeds are too high (like they will be under 100 yards). Energy is shed too rapidly and there is very low weight retention. In other words, lost deer can be be an issue. The basic logic being in this simple rap (LOL) A BULLET HEAD WITH EXPOSED LEAD MAKES A DEER DEAD. Thanks for liking it, I just made it up. In a semi-auto where I am more likely to shoot in lighter brush perhaps in a deer drive situation I use a 180 gr Speer Hot-Cor and load it so that I am 2600 FPS out of the muzzle. The rifle cycles great at these velocities and the accuracy is exceptional. The negatives are that it has more of a rainbow trajectory but inside of 200 yards its just fine. The reason for the speedy, flatter shooting loading in the bolt action is my thinking that there is more time to be precise and I have the advantage in my favor. I can take a longer shot and usually have time to line things up better sitting in a treestand or still hunting, than you would driving where action is exploding around around you.

A happy compromise is a 165 gr factory loading. Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

• Like 1