Need advice quick lol

ejp419

Just shot a 10 pointer. He was moving so I hit him probly half way back about heart level. He trotted about 30 yds and stood there for like 15 minutes. No blood where I shot him but where he stood blood was coming out of both sides. I could see good blood from there on. Didn't follow it tho. Arrow was a pass thru but had slimey brown blood on it. What would you do?

Stomach - give him till morning and start looking from the last place you saw him. Give deer search a call before you start to see if they could assist. I called the morning of when i was looking for mine and it took them two days before they were able to return my call = they are busy right now.

wait .... go slow tracking in the morning... 2 people 3 at most.. bring your bow!! one person should be on the trail following blood the other 5 yrds or so off the trail scaning the woods ahead looking to get a shot if it isn't dead!! tough to track and scan at the same time let alone get off a shot...

If you got out quietly and did not spook him it should be a good day for you tomorrow. Do not go in before light! Wait until good light and I would have two of you if possible. Go slow and quiet and as one person above said one on the blood looking down the other focuses out front and to the sides ready to shoot. Sometimes gut shots can take more than 12 or 14 hours hopefully you clipped some other stuff as well and he is already stiff. Plenty cold out. Hope you do not have a lot of yotes as well.

I have never seen a gut shot deer bleed from both the entrance and exit wounds. My guess is that you hit the liver. You also said the buck was bleeding dark blood which is also an indicator of a liver hit. Wait until the morning before you start your search. If you didn't push him after the hit, you should find him dead in his bed within 200 yards of where you last saw him.

Let us know how you make out, Good Luck!

Edited by catskillkid

Paunch blood is darker than liver blood and usually consists of stomach material that is light brown in nature. What you described sounds like a paunch hit. You did the smartest thing you could have done and not go after the deer at all. It will not be an easy tracking job but more than likely you will find him dead in his first bed if you wait 6-8 hours.