• .35 Rem
    • .243 Win
    • 7mm Rem Mag
    • .300 Win Mag
    • 7mm Weatherby Mag
    • .340 Weatherby Mag
    • .338 Win Mag
    • Other, please explain!

With the Southern Zone Regular Season just a few days away, I was wondering what everyone was carrying into the woods opening day.

(Don't hate me if I don't post your caliber!)

I'll be carrying my trusty 30-30 Win.

Edited by SteveNY
  • Like 1

Southern Tier I usually carry my .30-06 but this year I am thinking about carrying my Mosin 91/30 in 7.62x54 just because I think it'll be neat. Northern Tier I usually carry a .450 Marlin or .30-30 because the levers are a little quicker handling and it is pretty thick where we hunt so shots are fast and close.

Edited by covert

Other 45-70gov lever action.. my woods are thick shots out to 100 are rare. big bullet big hole, like having a multiple shot muzzloader!, not much deflection, will take any game in north america!! and its a great 200 yard gun. And i never have to worry about tracking! :)

First couple days I'll be in Ontario County slinging Parker Bullets out of my 50cal smokeless NULA. If, by chance I score a good buck early in the day I'll grab the XP 100R in 260 Remington and head to another spot looking for a doe.

When I do hunt Wyoming County the first weekend, I'll be toting a 243 stuffed with handloaded Barnes 80gr TTSX at 3450fps.

Lots of variety here; all look like some fun choices.

For long walks in the hills this year an 8x57 with a small red dot.....just over 6 1/2 lbs.

Haven't shot a "big game" animal with the 375 in a while and had some fun with it on woodchucks this summer......so that'll go if I'm gonna sit for a spell. Fun to shoot and accurate, but heavy to walk all day with.

Other..My primary whitetail rifle for the few years is my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm08.

It wears a Burris 2 x 7 and shoots 120 grain Barnes TSX at around 3000 FPS MV. into neat little groups. It drops deer like lightening.

Another rifle that I carry several times each year is an M1 Garand..My 30-06 handloads push a 150 grain spitzer at about 2700 FPS, which approximates the military load that the rifle was designed for. The rifle weighs 10 pounds, but I really enjoy getting the old warhorse out a few times per season. While my old eyes no longer work well with traditional open sights, I can still use the military peep sight on the Garand to good effect.

If I am hunting an area where long ( 300-400 yard) shots are likely, I often carry my Winchester M 70 lightweight in .280 Rem.

It wears a Leupold M8 fixed 6 power, and I shoot 140 grain TTSX Barnes bullets.

Edited by Pygmy

Another choice is a 12 gauge slug gun. I have an older Savage Model 210 with a Simmons Aetec 4-12 scope that I use alot because my main hunting areas offer close shots in brushy conditions. HOWEVER, I did buy a Rock River Arms LAR-8 in .308 this spring that has a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope on it that if I hunt the right areas will totally be going with me!

Very interesting... I am kinda surprised by the diversity of the answers so far

Well I think that comes down to a few things. First is the varied terrain in NY from large open fields to cramped woods and brush land. Secondly I think alot of people have emotional attachments to their gun of choice.

• Like 1

Well I think that comes down to a few things. First is the varied terrain in NY from large open fields to cramped woods and brush land. Secondly I think alot of people have emotional attachments to their gun of choice.

What! The .308 gets no love? Honestly, I prefer the 30-06 but the gun I wanted was chambered for .308 and under 200 yards, they are basically the same caliber.

Elmo..I suspect that is just co-incidence. When I hunted with a 20 member club in the Adirondacks a few years, probably HALF the guys used .308s.

Unless you are talking heavy bullets ( heavier than 180 grain) there is not enough difference between a 308 and a 30-06 to sneeze at.