Is the a big bear?

Swamp_bucks

Full story is in my public land posts.  So I had an encounter with this guy he was within 10yards at one point.  Sorry about the crappy pictures he had a big head and his stomache was sagging pretty good .   Last picture is him dropping into the stream i was planning on going into when i saw him.  But is he a big bear?

20200726_071048.jpg

20200726_071047.jpg

20200726_071035.jpg

• Like 2

I saw one other one years ago at about 40 yards and this one was a lot bigger than that.  My guess was 200-300 lbs I know it's a big range but I really don't think it's smaller than 200 and deff not bigger than 300.  Wish my phone took a better picture.  But yes by far my best encounter ever in the woods.  If he comes in when im deer hunting I'm shooting at it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I saw one other one years ago at about 40 yards and this one was a lot bigger than that.  My guess was 200-300 lbs I know it's a big range but I really don't think it's smaller than 200 and deff not bigger than 300.  Wish my phone took a better picture.  But yes by far my best encounter ever in the woods.  If he comes in when im deer hunting I'm shooting at it. 

Hope you get to see him in the fall.  I've taken two with the bow in Maine.  I've got a small one raiding my dumpster every other week. I've have to put the bucket loader on the lids to keep it out.  

Edited by mowin

We get some pretty big bears around here, and see them often enough. So I can usually help with stuff like this. But the pictures here don't give me enough to go on? I would 'guess' this to be perhaps a younger bear, it's first year on its own? I say that only for the pronounced ear that can be seen in the pic. With a BIG bear, the ears look very small on that huge head.

I say every deer season, that perhaps I'll shoot a bear if I get a chip shot at a real big one? But have never shot at one for a variety of reasons.

Who knows........maybe this year????

Or maybe just call Moog to come east, and bring home a big bruin?

Edited by grampy

1 hour ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I'm no expert, but I shot a 271# many years ago, and guys in my club have shot a few over the years. I would say certainly well over 200#, but less than 300.

6 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

For you that do hunt bears.  What's the chance this bear stays in the area?  I know they have a huge home range.  Just wondering.

If the bear is on a hame range/travel trail , it will return, kill that bear and another will use trail.  A second pic and that spot will have bear for your life as long as none alters landscape significantly.   I have 3 stands that bear are seen out of regularly.  34 others a bear has never been seen out of. All on approximately 300 acres.. 

Though this has been discussed here many times most bear guides reccomend a 30 cal or larger rifle for bear.  If you have a chance of seeing one make sure you have enough gun. ( smaller calibers work but usually require special bullets / loads to optimize your chances, most are made for deer[thin skinned game]). 

Edited by G-Man

What G-man said!!! and I might add don't hold to what you know about blood trailing with deer. The bears' fur is SO thick and they do run fast, so not seeing a blood trial for quite a while doesn't mean you missed. Their fur is like a sponge and it can take a LOT of blood before it hits the ground. Couple that with heavy fat and blood trailing can be a nightmare. Pay particular attention to the last place you saw the bear before it disappears (landmarks). Last one I shot with the 50 cal ML was a top of the heart shot. Went 75 yards and there wasn't blood on the leaves until I was within 15 feet of where it was laying. That was hardwoods so it is even more important in thick cover to try and anchor them right there.  Guide in Canada I have been with LOVE when guys show up with 12 gauge shotguns (bait shots are usually withing 50 yards). heavy hitting and BIG holes.  

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club