LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Marion

Worked til 3. Home by 3:15. At Treeguy’s at 3:30 on a ridge. Standing behind a big tree cutting the blowing snow outta my eyes. Scent blowing down along the ridge top , can see down below , what’s coming at me and what might enter the field to my left. 4:39 I see a shooter doe approaching , then another behind it by 20 yards. First is down below me at 35-40 yards. Here we go. Settle the crosshairs on the front shoulder with the ml. Pull back the hammer and ready to send it. Catch movement behind the second doe. Big body buck and well outside the ears.  Ease the hammer down. All I can see now is back half , lots of trees between us. Then I have head and top half of neck. Tempting at the neck but wait for the front half to come in to the clear. Step to side of big tree and use it as a rest. He clears giving me front half. Hammer back , center the crosshairs, boom , smoke . 4:40 and 1 minute of legal left. No idea which way they run. Descend hill , no blood , no hair. Text Treeguy . He comes and helps to look . We find nothing . Swing and a miss on a dandy.  I can’t recollect ever missing one before. Sadly have lost 2 over the many years . So I guess it could be worse. I’ll chalk it up to 2020.  Hindsight I could have shot the first doe as she was clear broadside at 30-35 yards. But those antlers !! He was 50-60 tops. Guess my threading the needle didn’t fair so well.  Now I’m afraid my guns off too though.  Ballz is all I can say. Times a ticking. 

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

A wise man once told me " let it go man...."

Love ya larrbear

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

9 more pages THEN I'll let it go.  :)

If they're good stories, he'll let us know.  If they're not so good...............we get nothing.  :(

• Like 2

LOL, since when don't you want to tell stories?
Come on Tommy, refresh my memory.......

In 2016 and 2019 I removed the lungs and heart when gutting. Funny story- I know a guy (only 1 guy ever in history in all 50 states) who forgot to take the heart and lungs out.

In 2017 I misjudged the yardage on a coyote and missed.

e155258d5e11746cec70e5c91e787982.jpg

45201f83d90be2322d27438abf16c3b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you are in the top 1%, no further explanation is needed Law.  

I’ll pop the next one in Ham for Larry. I had a 10pt at 57 yards in October. Standing still. I think a lot of people on this forum would have flung one into the ribs/guts and hoped for the best. I didn’t think it was the right thing to do.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In 2016 and 2019 I removed the lungs and heart when gutting. Funny story- I know a guy (only 1 guy ever in history in all 50 states) who forgot to take the heart and lungs out.

In 2017 I misjudged the yardage on a coyote and missed.

e155258d5e11746cec70e5c91e787982.jpg

45201f83d90be2322d27438abf16c3b8.jpg

Get back to me after you kill a deer with a bow.

And by the way, the ham shot was a shot made after I pulled the first shot.  Really it was a smart move that only a bowhunter would understand. It was very effective too. 

I bet you'd love to get another shot at that fox to end its suffering.....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Rutting bucks aren’t real concerned with trails.....

Most  Decent buck I’ve killed was a rut  crazed one just running all, over  often in an open woods , after a doe . If I’m lucky he stops near me to take a look see at what the doe is doing .

Joe’s on my spot was the same story this year only 100 yards from me ...

DB55C704-449A-49F5-96A1-DB5FBEEBA93B.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ll pop the next one in Ham for Larry. I had a 10pt at 57 yards in October. Standing still. I think a lot of people on this forum would have flung one into the ribs/guts and hoped for the best. I didn’t think it was the right thing to do.

I thought 60yd shots are the norm for the top 1%.    So confusing.   But I respect your decision to stay within comfortable ranges.  

• Like 2

Get back to me after you kill a deer with a bow. And by the way, the ham shot was a shot made after I pulled the first shot.  Really it was a smart move that only a bowhunter would understand. It was very effective too. 

As stated above, killing a deer to say I killed a deer is all the wrong reasons. Drawing for fun and videotaping is enough for me on does and young bucks. And Yes, that red fox would mean more to me than any doe I’ve killed and most bucks I’ve killed

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Get back to me after you kill a deer with a bow.

And by the way, the ham shot was a shot made after I pulled the first shot.  Really it was a smart move that only a bowhunter would understand. It was very effective too. 

I passed up a ham shot after i high shoulder/spined a doe. I regret that to this day as I never found her after she got up and trotted away. 

I thought the follow up shot was a bad angle,which it was but doesn't matter for a follow up. That was a mistake i will not repeat.

• Like 2

I thought 60yd shots are the norm for the top 1%.    So confusing.   But I respect your decision to stay within comfortable ranges.  

Out west for sure or cut corn type farm fields in NY definitely. But where I hunt, it’s tough to get a clear lane longer than 40-50 yards, so I don’t practice beyond that. But when I decide to burn my PP’s out west and go with the bow I’ll practice out to 60 at the minimum

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

As stated above, killing a deer to say I killed a deer is all the wrong reasons. Drawing for fun and videotaping is enough for me on does and young bucks. And Yes, that red fox would mean more to me than any doe I’ve killed and most bucks I’ve killed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How many of those bucks were taken with archery tackle? 
Hunting for likes seems for your speed . It’s a generational thing we understand 

• Like 2

• fasteddie changed the title to LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!
  • WNYBuckHunter unpinned this topic