ANTLERS

EHD outbreak in NY?

Yes, from everything I’ve read, the midges breed in warm shallow stagnant water, With muddy banks being prime habitat. Orange County is full of shallow muddy ponds, probably why it’s so prevalent right now.

but, couple areas found dead were mountains with little feeder streams, Or creeks with good running water, so I think really can happen just about anywhere, there’s a concentration of deer. 

If this is centralized to certain areas , I would think they could treat the water sources/muddy banks where those bastids breed. I remember them spraying from planes during some mosquito disease (encephalitis )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered moving the cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...Especially with deer potentially having new travel routes due to down trees from storm?

Guy went to the dr with pain all over and said, “Doc when I touch here it hurts, and when I touch here it hurts and when I touch HERE it hurts.
Doc: “you have a broken finger!”

Have you considered moving the cams?

...Especially with deer potentially having new travel routes due to down trees from storm?

Guy went to the dr with pain all over and said, “Doc when I touch here it hurts, and when I touch here it hurts and when I touch HERE it hurts.

Doc: “you have a broken finger!”

I still have the normal 10-14 different bucks on camera like a typical July - September, just less action day to day, and for whatever reason no 8pts this year. Considering no water on the property and no acorns with the drought could be why. Also we killed 7 bucks in the past 4 years.

And if EHD is present, then it’s actually been a great year

So  a friend sent me a video of a rabbit in rock tavern . Starting to wonder if it is just whitetail. Head is shaking wobbly  spinning in circles  . The person was boxing up for the dec 

Screenshot_20200926-093552_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20200926-093548_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20200926-093556_Messenger.jpg

There have been a number of cases of EHD in rabbits reported across the country:

A deadly virus is spreading quickly among wild rabbits in southwestern North America, threatening populations and possibly endangered species. Last week the virus, which causes a hemorrhagic disease, reached Southern California.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/deadly-virus-killing-wild-rabbits-north-america

59 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

So sad. Dec coming to end its suffering 

Screenshot_20200926-093049_Facebook.jpg

Sad to see this Cynthia. When we were out at Stewart last Wednesday and those 8 Deer were found-- well, I never smelled so much of that " Death" smell before.

I guess the Bowhunters will find a bunch more at Stewart this Oct 1st unless that area gets closed to Deer Hunting..

I wonder what effect, all the  dead deer polluting the water ways, has on Wildlife? I imagine the bacteria levels must be off the charts in a lot of these swamps and streams.

the day after we went to Stewart I found 7 in a small wood lot in beacon. Mostly fawns and yearlings, one pretty nice buck.

5 minutes ago, Yorehntr said:

I wonder what effect, all the  dead deer polluting the water ways, has on Wildlife? I imagine the bacteria levels must be off the charts in a lot of these swamps and streams.

the day after we went to Stewart I found 7 in a small wood lot in beacon. Mostly fawns and yearlings, one pretty nice buck.

Right-- other Wildlife could be affected.   No Dead Deer in my part Of Orange County yet.

As a big fan of shed hunting(finding dead heads is a big part of the game too) I would have a real hard time leaving those racks there. I know the DEC releases tell you not to handle them but......what if I just cut of the sheds?!?
Are all dead heads found after the season to be left alone?

“Technically” I think, supposed To get a possession tag from DEC. Not really sure if they’ll bother going out of their way,  to get someone for a couple dead heads, but never know.

My taxidermist almost had a finger amputated, by cutting a rack off a rotting deer. Bacteria went in, through an open cut.  so if it stinks, best to wear gloves. 

• Like 3

Coworker found 8 kayaking the Wallkill in 3M today near scotchtown.  So much waste, sickening 

5AD0A0B6-1671-4474-9703-C1DA312C956F.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Sad 4

Coworker found 8 kayaking the Wallkill in 3M today near scotchtown.  So much waste, sickening 
5AD0A0B6-1671-4474-9703-C1DA312C956F.thumb.jpeg.7d91d0c32454618cde5381f93f1ea6d5.jpeg
Wow....that was a stud.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Idk that rabbit for some reason looks like it’s odd for a cottontail. Not cause it’s sick but looks odd besides that

Wish I could up load the video . 

13 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Where, I live, I have never seen the Creek so Low!   No Problem with the Deer yet.

The creek where we hunt has been bone dry for weeks ,ive never seen it like that. 

• Sad 1

f2d186ee035e23da0b118802a866092c.jpg

If EHD was around one of the properties I hunt in 3S it would come from here. This pond is down a ton of water and was swampy as hell. Thankfully no dead deer found or smelt

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Drought!

Seriously ,somehow i  managed to find fresh tracks  today ,thats right where we moved that ladder stand to. 

• Like 1

Can’t confirm, but heard from a pretty reliable source today, that the DEC is evaluating Stewart forest , for whether or not to allow deer hunting this year.  That would be a great help to the herd there!

• Like 4

Can’t confirm, but heard from a pretty reliable source today, that the DEC is evaluating Stewart forest , for whether or not to allow deer hunting this year.  That would be a great help to the herd there!
I am sorry to have doubted you. Also looks like you guys had a nice GTG aside from all the dead deer

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

On 9/24/2020 at 7:34 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I still have the normal 10-14 different bucks on camera like a typical July - September, just less action day to day, and for whatever reason no 8pts this year. Considering no water on the property and no acorns with the drought could be why. Also we killed 7 bucks in the past 4 years.

And if EHD is present, then it’s actually been a great year

Your oak tree must be the only one in NY with no acorns cause every one I’ve seen is loaded 

• Like 1