You've gotta see this...

bleonard

Last season, I was watching Wild Outdoors (w/ Jay Gregory). He was hunting from a ground blind and filmed a couple of coyotes taking down a nice healthy adult buck. Some claim coyotes can't take down healthy adult deer, but thats BS!

Zemmer18 - Congrats! That is a BIG coyote!! Did you weight?

Edited by Cabin Fever

Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. ( Flame suit on ) I don't understand why people get so upset over the natural predation of deer by coyotes. It's nature's way. Predators and prey animals. Imagine how overrun with deer we would be without the coyotes killing their share. People see deer as " THEIR deer", and not as the natural resource that they are. It's kinda hypocritical of us as hunters who KILL DEER to get mad at other animals for killing deer- and the predators HAVE to to survive! I know they kill fawns, but to me, it's just the natural order of things.

Edited by gunner1
  • Like 2

Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. ( Flame suit on ) I don't understand why people get so upset over the natural predation of deer by coyotes. It's nature's way. Predators and prey animals. Imagine how overrun with deer we would be without the coyotes killing their share. People see deer as " THEIR deer", and not as the natural resource that they are. It's kinda hypocritical of us as hunters who KILL DEER to get mad at other animals for killing deer- and the predators HAVE to to survive! I know they kill fawns, but to me, it's just the natural order of things.

And personally I think DEC wants the yotes "help". I thik the population of yotes is very high in certain areas of the state (it is in 8H). Over the last two years I can't even tell you how many does I see in the summer eating in the bean fields and very very few fawns. I really htink they are counting on the Yotes to take a heavy toll. That is the only reason I can see why they haven't lenghtened the season or impose a 12 month season.

Because coyotes, in all realities, are NOT originally native to New York. Any info I've dug up on it, indicates they started migrating here in the early 1900's. Any other species that is not native, is considered detrimental, and is pretty much shoot on sight. Why coyotes are not, is beyond me. There's no question they take a toll on native game species.

I was always on the side of "if you can't stand the comepetition, shoot your hunting partner". But, just as NOAA protected the dogfish population to the point where they eat everything that swims near them, and the seals that eat anything that swims and, both their populations have boomed, I think the coyote population has grown out of proportion to the game they live off. Coyotes in the Bronx, Central Park, something has gone out of whack. We noticed in 3A, years where you hear coyotes howling, you don't see turkeys or small game. When they move out you get the small game back. I've passed on the coyotes I've seen until now. One coyote that was filmed, brought something like 15 fawns back to its den. That's an eye openner when you add this film to it.

Because coyotes, in all realities, are NOT originally native to New York. Any info I've dug up on it, indicates they started migrating here in the early 1900's. Any other species that is not native, is considered detrimental, and is pretty much shoot on sight. Why coyotes are not, is beyond me. There's no question they take a toll on native game species.

That is true, but we are the ones who eradicated the wolves and cougars from this area. They were the ones keeping the deer in check before us. Now that they aren't around, the yotes moved in.

It seems obvious that the buck had something wrong with it, whether this was a car accident or some form of disease. Sad to see a buck of that magnitude taken down by yote's but looking at the pics it looks like he was gonna go down anyway. Still love shooting them but they're getting a bad rap here, this is what they're supposed to do; take out the sick, lame, and diseased.

• Like 1

I agree with Ox108 the deer is not in good health for some reason and the yotes are just doing whats natural. I still don't like them and will take them out as I have seen the results of predation 1st hand... I think yotes take a larger number of fawns than people know...

well yotes were native to ny.. they were called brushwolves by the early settlers and were eradicated. As for the taking of deer i saw a red fox take down a 2 day or less old fawn this past spring so i guess its time to kill them too.. Everyone should buy fur coats for their wives and driv ethe price of fur back up!!! help the economy and the predator population control all in one fell swoop!!! ;)

• Like 1