Opinion on Shotgun for DEER/TURKEY/WATERFOWL

Rev Ev

I bought the Mossberg 500 Field/Security Combo. Comes with a 28" field barrel and a 18" security barrel. Can't remember but I think I paid around $450 for everything (including tax).

You can get the field/deer (28" field and 24" rifled deer barrel) combo which would fit your needs. Guys on this forum will probably tell you the Mossberg isn't that great and steer you towards something that cost a bit more. I find for the price you pay, the Mossberg 500 is as good of a bang for you buck as you can find. Absolutely no pun intended.

http://www.mossberg....0/NEW/54264.jpg

See item 54264

http://www.mossberg....3&display=specs

Edited by Elmo

mossberg 500 a very great gun im 30 years old now and have only hunted with the mossberg 500 up until this year and thats only because i got a new semi auto for my bday but every time out this year the mossberg was in the back seat. 14 years never jammed or failed very reliable and accurate i have 22 deer with mine so far.

I have an 870 Wingmaster that's done it all, from wearing a slug barrel, to small game to goose hunting, never a problem in 20 years. My son has a Mossberg 500 and has used both the smooth barrel and slug barrel w/ no prblems. both seem to be good guns, but I sure love that 870.

As far as utility is concerned, there is nothing wrong with the Mossy 500 or the Rem 870 express. Both are functional, dependable shotguns that will do anything you require of them for hunting deer, turkeys and waterfowl.

However, I could never really warm up to the Mossberg. It looks cheap, feels cheap, and rattles and makes noise when you handle it. The Remington is a little better.

One down side of a pump gun is that they kick like demons, especially with the heavy magnum loads that you use for deer, turkeys and waterfowl.

You seem to favor the Rem 1l-87. Due to it's gas-operated semi auto action, felt recoil is considerably less than with a fixed breech gun such as a pump gun, especially a light one. Example... My Browning Citori, an O/U, gives me a headache after a couple dozen 3 inch duck loads. I can shoot one of my 1100s or my 11-87 all day and not notice the recoil.

I have shot 1100s for 50 years and an 11-87 for 20 years. They are solid ,dependable guns. If you can afford one, you may be happier with it in the long run than you would be with a low budget pump gun.

I have had an 11-87 for over 20 years and can say nothing bad about it other than it's on the heavy side compared to other semi-autos out there today. This probably helps reduce recoil even more, but it ain't a fun gun to carry for a long time. It will cost more than a Mossberg or the Rem 870 pump, but it's still a whole lot cheaper than other semi-autos out there.

First off, what are you looking to spend? That will be the biggest part of your choice. Just about every shotgun out there today has the barrel options for anything you want to do with it. You really only need 2 barrels, a rifled barrel for deer and a smooth bore with interchangeable chokes. Bolt action, break open and pump guns are going to have the most felt recoil, with inertia driven semis next and gas operated semis being the least felt recoil. The gas guns are the dirtiest and require the most maintenance and cleaning though. Really, its all goinf to depend on how much you want to spend.

There's deals out there...We just bought a Mossberg ...used but less than a month...Rifled barrel...smooth bore and 3chokes withe 6 boxes of bird and sabots....280.00...so check around times are tight...I also have a Mossbrg turkey gun ...that I've shot deer with and our Daughter has a Remington for deer and turkey ....all great guns...I like Mossberg for it's thumb safety and bottom eject...like my Browning has...for I'm a lefty

You really only need 2 barrels, a rifled barrel for deer and a smooth bore with interchangeable chokes. .

I have a shorter (24inch) slug barrel with a screw in choke for my 870 as does my brother for his 11-87. That truely is all you need but I do not know if they still make them like that, Do you know WNY? I also have the 30inch bird barrel it came with but I dont use that as I don't duck hunt and it is god awefull heavy and slow swinging with it on. We kill all kinds of stuff from Turkeys to deer and birds, all you have to do switch the choke and off you go.

Well, I was just speaking about what I would need I guess lol. I like using a fully rifled barrel for deer. Im sure some companies still make those types of barrels. I see turkey specific guns with short barrels, rifle sights and screw in chokes all the time.

When I get my new shotgun, I wont be going with the 30" barrel, I like the 28" barrels just fine.

Would love to trade in my Mossberg 28" field barrel for a shorter field barrel.

Elmo..Mossberg makes a 24" vent rib choke tube barrel for the 500.

That is a nice, handy length...Long enough for smooth swinging on ducks or the uplands, but short enough to be handy in a blind or in the turkey woods.

Cabela's lists them for $175... If you check online auctions and gun shops, you may find a used one for less $$...

Elmo..Mossberg makes a 24" vent rib choke tube barrel for the 500.

That is a nice, handy length...Long enough for smooth swinging on ducks or the uplands, but short enough to be handy in a blind or in the turkey woods.

Cabela's lists them for $175... If you check online auctions and gun shops, you may find a used one for less $$...

I think 24" would be the perfect length. My brother has the 20" and that might be a bit too short for proper balance. $175 is almost the cost of a new gun. I might try to sell of my 28" in the off-season to offset the cost.

OK, I'll be a little elitist here and suggest the Benelli Nova. Got one about 5 years ago for around $400 with both the bird and slug barrel. Has been awesome, no missfeeds, missfires, or any other issues. It's built like a tank, it's ugly, and it accepts a recoil dampner (if you need it). Come's apart in about 4 pieces (unlike the Mossberg M500 that we have at work which seems to need a degree in engineering to put back together) and is easy to clean. It's done decent with the sabot's that I put through it and has a couple of deer in the 5 years. Only two shotguns have passed the military's torture test the Mossberg M500 and the Benelli M4. The Army's cheap so they went with the 500, the Marine's the M4.

Dick's has a special right now. Mossgerg 500. comes with vented ribbed barrel and 3 chokes, also comes with a cantilever slug barrel with rings and a scope (scope is very cheap). $279.00 Th stock alsoo has the raised padded cheek pad that is removable. I went with my daughters boyfriend and his father to get one for him. can't beat a deal like that. i had a 500 years ago and fell in the swamp duck hunting and packed the barrel with mud. I unloaded it, removed barrel and rinsed the barrel and action out with swamp water. reassembled it and finished the day hunting. Never had a problem with that gun.

and as a plus. they make a muzzle loading barrel that fits the 500 too