Pyrography - First Buck, Finally DONE!!!

5.9cummins

I am sure that some viewed this thread for other reasons than what it is.

Just in case you were wondering what i was talking about.

pyrography [paɪˈrɒgrəfɪ]n pl -phies

1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) the art or process of burning designs on wood or leather with heated tools or a flame

This is something i started monkeying with back in college about 8 years ago. I upgraded my tools two years ago and have done a few pieces but its hard to find time to do these. I finally finished my burn of my first buck back in 04.

I forgot how unforgiving the human face is and how much i hate it.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1217537056050407986ODqLpa ----- The original Photo

post-40-0-66271800-1325281600_thumb.jpg

Edited by 5.9cummins

WOW that is amazing you really got the image right down to the bend in your foot,Great job!

Thanks but i am still thinking I need to sand off my face and give it a third shot.

Here is another one i have with me. I got a couple more but they are on my home computer back in NY. I will post those when i get home.

post-40-0-11504500-1325284603_thumb.jpg

They look awsome nice work. Are you doing these freehand or stencilling them then burning?

Both, moose was freehand but in the interest of saving time i transferred the photo of my 04 buck.

WOW, nice work!!! Do you take orders yet? :-)

I have thought about it. I would feel comfortable doing something with an animal at this point but nothing with people. I know of another guy that does portraits on commission and charges anywhere from 200-600 per piece. He usually has 40-100 hours into each one and his work blows mine out of the water.

Thanks again.

Neat stuff, must take a long time to get that right.

I think i have upwards of 30 hours in the 04 buck one.

great work.must be difficult to get it right .what about the learning curve? how long to learn

I have been involved in art since i could walk. I had art every year going through school. Senior year i was in photography and two different art classes in high school. I also took a lot of art in college. I have done probably around a dozen pyrography pieces. I have done a lot of other stuff, line drawing, etching, painting (watercolor and oil), photography (film and digital), pottery and other stuff. I would like to try wood carving at some point.

looks great! makes me remember the days when I used to tinker around with the wood burner. maybe I will pull it out and give it a try when I am bored one of these crummy days.

Keep up the great work!

I started with a cheapo from Jo-Ann fabrics. The one i got now costs about 200 bills. Its got a variable heat source with dual burners and interchangeable tips. Colewood

Here are a couple more i have done. The house / clock / picture frame i did back in 05 with my cheapo burner. The elk was the first burn i did with the new burner last year. The turkey was the second one i did with that unit.

post-40-0-39062300-1325342595_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-50928800-1325342678_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-21463800-1325342732_thumb.jpg

That is great! How about putting that hunters prayer on a slab of wood for me, let me know how much and we can go from there.

A Hunter’s Prayer

0 Lord, I am a hunter

And life I seek to take

But let me not attempt the shot

Beyond my skill to make

For Lord they are your creatures

Given for our use

But each one falls within your sight

They're not for our abuse

And when I loose my arrow

Please guide it swift and true

Or let it miss completely, Lord