What would you do?...

growalot

First..PLEASE!!! Don't turn this into a moral /non moral...ethical discussion.....read the ? and approach it simply as I would or wouldn't...I'd call it in or just take it out.....

So the premiss...you live within a few miles of a game farm

Your cams pic up several days of a 200+racked buck...with a tag in it's ear..... no missing deer reports that you know of ...but cams show the tag....

Would you say hey.... fair game and shoot it if chance arose ...?

Would you look at it as live stock and turn in the sighting?

Yes WNYBow...that is the one that got me to thinking...the tag is in the right ear..according to papers...and as you see there were cam pics of the deers right side...she also passed the buck once at 10yrds...so I question the unknowingly part...I give congrats on a very close kill shot...for buck fever caused me to whiff on a super ten this gun season.... but not nearly as big as that buck....so Kudos for that...I personally would have called the farm after first cam pics that showed tag....Can it even be entered into Boone and Crockett?....I also know that I personally would have a hard time knowing I shot livestock...which is only to say that is how I personally would have felt...on another site most of the comments were congrats and sorta good for sticking it to the farmer...so I was curious on just a NY opinion

It would be livestock, report it. It is against the law to shoot someones loose livestock. No pics, loss reports, fair game. After the tag is observed, report it. Just waisted a bullet, I think scorers would check for removed tag holes. I know I, would be really bummed. Maybe if you're lucky, get some meat out of the whole ordeal. Bet this happens quite a bit. Grow, are U saying this happened to U?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Well, nobody is "sticking it to the farmer". When the deer got out, there was no way that he was going to capture him out of the wild and put him back in the pen ........ unless the deer comes when called by name ..... lol. So if someone is able to get and use the meat, I don't think that makes one bit of difference to the deer farmer. He already pemanently lost that deer. And of course as far as intentionally shooting escaped livestock, it would have to be proven that the tag was spotted before taking the shot, and maybe that wouldn't even be enough to prove that the law was broken. The records keeping organizations can disallow what ever they want (who cares), but as far as it being a legitimate target and a good source of some venison, I think it is. What's the option, let it die of old-age and rot in the woods? .... lol. That would be real useful.

I couldn't do it. I used to live near one of these farms and everybody in town knows what these deer look like better than their own extended family. Killing an escapee would do nothing for my hunting prowess(ego) or my reputation with the locals. That's probably most important to me.

... if the rut is close to full swing I'm waiting for a 300"er to hop the fence anyhow when it comes to shooting farm bucks!

• Like 1

I see it as, inside the game farm property the deer belongs to the game farm. Outside the fence he belongs to mother nature and is fair game. The game farm should be alerted though to his escape. That way they can fix their fence. Then again......where is this place??

• Like 2

If it wasn't reported maybe they turned it loose. I would take the shot it would be meat in the freezer. If you shot something like that I am syre it would get back to the game farm rather quickly and then the story would get straightened out.

I would think with the amount of money put into those deer that he would know it was gone and if he didn't say anything then it was fair game.

Also some might not even know that it got out if the guy didn't report it. With people traveling to there hunting camps hours away how would one know when showing up on friday night. That being said I don't think the law could get you on shooting it.

Shoot it an mount it.....forget the game farm....and the record books! It would be very nice to look at on my wall regardless....alhough i may have to get a bigger wall!

just make sure no one sees you mount it. I have a buddy who has an embarrassing video of him mounting a dead deer. he paid me good money to get that video back.

Now back to topic if it wanders to my land, game over. If wild deer get in the fence, I am sure they do not chase them back out. Shoot it remove the tag and put my buck tag in the hole in the ear and watch for pics.

Edited by bubba

I say outside the fence fair game shoot it & mount it ! I have a friend that was asked to go to a game farm & shoot the guys big elk because it was goreing the other animals, his wife shot it & mounted it . He did say it was not a hunt , just target practice.

I must admit... I'd shoot it, tag it, and proudly display it on our wall.

Had a cousin shoot a Red Stag that got loose from a farm in PA.

Looks good on his wall.

Jerry..I remember reading about that in the paper..

As long as the stag was on the owner's land, the animal was considered his property. As soon as it escaped from his land, it was considered an unprotected non native species, just as an escaped wild boar would be, and it was fair game.