So much for the DEC burning law......

growalot

This am I decided to take a leisurely walk on the lower part of land...grabbed camera and left...to be assulted by billowing blue acrid smoke...the guy next door had dismantled a mobile home last year...and right their in that spot he has this nasty smoke fire going...and is raking debry into it ...so I called Region 8...they actually called right back...said they wanted a DEC officer to speak to me before coming out ..I said call me I'm on the land....that was at 10:35...am...ya well here we are1:32 no call...hope what ever I brieathed in wasn't to toxic....I couldn't get him to look my way...and pics are into sun...not my best

Edited by growalot

We recycle everything so couldn't add to his stinky mess...but here we are still no call...don't know if DEC ever came out...doubt it though...by the time I took the half mile hike back to house...the entire woods and all neighbors woods between him and us were in a blue haze of smoke....

This is the same guy that called me during hunting season and screamed at me for 38min.... that I needed to patrol my lands better from the poachers illegally shooting near him....He's getting his wish......he seriously got my attention....that section of land will be worked on all summer and 500 ft from him will be a enclosed shooting house built...gathering materials now and have the area pretty planned out.....

The area he was burning on is 60ft up hill from the flow of one of our streams that feeds Hemlock lake

Actually I would have but I took the call as I was getting out of a stand 1/2 mile away....and he not only was ranting about ppl shooting deer in his front yard...He actually lives in Rochester and owns the property out here...but said I and two other ppl were dragging a deer off my land...thus my trying to get a word in edge wise.... explaining I never hunt that area.... where I was and I definitely never hunt with anyone...but he was just off his nut....So I told him to call the DEC...when I said I was saving the # and call on my phone......... he quickly said the phone belonged to a friend with him...ya...

So he's building a new house out here...wants me to patrol my property better...Alrighty then...I definitely will be

But that's not the point...this is a water shed ...our streams feed Rochester water and DEC wet lands by flowing down to hemlock lake...God only knows how much toxic crap he was open burning in an area or what will be in the run off to at least one stream....running full board right now and how much asbestos may have been in that old mobile home he had torn down there...DEC never responded to my knowledge....

PS.... and I won't make false reports and do try to have pics to back up what I say...

Edited by growalot

yes I understand that it was not a massive fire. I didnt say call and say there was a msssive fire. I said call 911 and report a fire. But making one call and no further follow up was enough for you, that is ok. I dont want to turn this into a 38 minute argument. Just saying maybe some more follow up was in order rather than bashing people who did not respond to one call. If you were so interested in the watershed etc, I would have been calling back or go another avenue. Just saying. I realize you need to get the last word. That is how you can have a 38 minute gripe session on a phone. So please get your last word and let it go.

Update...by the way not last word...I PM'd Bubba ;) ...

Got an E-mail from a Lt ....I called the # he gave...we talked and he is looking into this and will be calling me later....he did ask if an office had contacted me yep...had to say no

Just what are you allowed to burn? If anything.

Actually there is a list on the DEC web sight....a camp fire is allowed BUT...I believe they actually give you dimentions allowed with those...you'll have to check....Goat a chicken poo?...why would someone burn that?....got a restricted call while out ...don't know who my cell wouldn't let me dial it back ...other than that no word

Edited by growalot

I am not one to condone breaking the law.. and I don't know exactly how the law is written for the area.. but I just don't see the huge problem here... at least not on a level to start another feud with a neighbor... I had a similar situation with my neighbors when they first moved in next door... I live in the country as well... my neighbor was burning some old building material from a downed barn next door... it was a bonfire and the smoke from smelly old wood engulf the surrounding neighbors... i calmly went over and introduced myself and started making small talk mentioning that he had quite the fire going... he laughed and said "yeah, there is a lot of that old barn".. I then said in a friendly way to him " Just be careful.. there is a burning ordinance in the area... a fire that size might cause a problem with the neighbors... I think I'd keep the fires small so they don't get too out off control"...

then I offered to burn some of it on my firepit that we use for night time campfires.. he immediately let me know that he wasn't aware of the ordinance and would reduce the fire to just a small camp fire size... I helped him burn the remaining wood structure and offered my 12' trailer to haul anything that wasn't burnable to the dump. We cleaned up the area in a weekend and he and I have become good friends and good neighbors... he has always been appreciative of the help and how I handled the situation.

I have since told him that it was my way of telling him that I wasn't happy with what he was doing at the time...but didn't want to create a Hatfield and McCoy relationship with my neighbor... we laugh about it now.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

Let me start this by saying I really just wanted to forget this post .... unfortunatly for the goats...but fortunate for me I have new light bought to the issue...When calling the farm down the road to give heads up about the goats...who's land is directly across the road from our land in question...we got to chatting about things going on around the area.... bingo now I know what is up with the new guy...

So last year he got into it with the ppl that border him to the East...they also border us...inturn the ppl we border had to go and heavily post around this new guy......Thus his screaming I plastered his line with signs...nope..but mine where the only ones with a # to call so he could scream at someone and because none of us had problems I didn't know..... for the new signs only bordered him....

Then this guy decided to put up a new mail box...but not like everyone else...he went several feet into the ppls land across the street and concreted in a mail box...with out pryor consent making a real mess...now yes ppl do have mail easemnets but he way over stepped and a mower was damaged and he never got pryor permission from utilities even though frontier has signs posted of under ground wires...well that resulted in a note and he jumped in his truck ready for a fight...Now the farmer works for the DOT and she knows that mail boxes aren't suppose to be put in BURIED concrete because it can damage plows...and she set him back on his heels sorta speak.....

Well not getting his way to do what ever he wanted on other ppls property ...I believe left him with just one other nieghbor to try and bully in his frustation...Thus that crazy and a bit bizzar phone call during hunting season...accusing me of things that didn't take place ..telling me no one was allowed to hunt my lands and I needed to remove my(LEGALLY) placed stands...also explains why he refused my offer to speak face to face and to call the police my self...

So for those that wanted to think the worst of my actions ...feel free....Now WE ALL have a good input to whats going on there.... little knowledge is aa good thing...any further problems with him...I have 2 other property owners as a back up