When and How to use Vocalizations

Northcountryman

Hey Guys , with opening day now just a week away , I’m starting to get my plan together for success , and , was wondering whether I should bring my grunt tube and Doe can with. I’ve used them before many times , but never felt like they added to my success. 
Not sure if I’m even making the calls right , especially with the grunt tube . 

Do you think calls are even necessary Or, effective during rifle Anyway? My Grandfather and Uncle never used them and they had reasonable success Over the years ? Just trying to Figure out if it’s even worth the trouble , Thanks :rolleyes:

I have only had luck once calling,and that was after i saw the buck was going to walk past me. He didnt care for the grunt,but the snort wheeze pissed him off and he came straight at me,which was pretty cool.

Blind calling has not worked for me yet,but doesnt keep me from trying once in a while.

9 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I have only had luck once calling,and that was after i saw the buck was going to walk past me. He didnt care for the grunt,but the snort wheeze pissed him off and he came straight at me,which was pretty cool.

Blind calling has not worked for me yet,but doesnt keep me from trying once in a while.

Cool , ever use the doe bleats can ? Wondering if that works too 

I love the bleat can.  I've called in many bucks with one. Usually it's a buck that isn't in range (bow) and lots of times it pulls him in.

One spot I hunt is a very thick pinch point in a swamp. During rifle I'll use the can and grunts to try and pull bucks out of the thickets.  One time after grunting, I had 3 bucks converge on my spot and a fight ensued.  They were all smaller bucks and there racket drew the attention of a nice 8 pt.  Doesn't work every time, but it's something I use if the conditions are right. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I owe my bow buck this year to the grunt call.  He was headed out and away in the brush and a grunt stopped him dead in his tracks and he came right out into the field.  I have rattled one buck in once and have called in bucks in with a grunt several times.  I tend only to use it when i see a buck that is on the way away and i have no other play than to try to bring him over.  I dont blind call.  Ive had a doe come in once to a bleat but other than that never had any success with those. 

Gun i tend to use it even less obviously because of an extended range but i still take it and have it ready as a last chance shot.  A big one is headed away and no shot its def worth a try . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mowin said:

I love the bleat can.  I've called in many bucks with one. Usually it's a buck that isn't in range (bow) and lots of times it pulls him in.

One spot I hunt is a very thick pinch point in a swamp. During rifle I'll use the can and grunts to try and pull bucks out of the thickets.  One time after grunting, I had 3 bucks converge on my spot and a fight ensued.  They were all smaller bucks and there racket drew the attention of a nice 8 pt.  Doesn't work every time, but it's something I use if the conditions are right. 

Really ,Very cool !  great example btw , when The can would be useful during rifle and , I can see that it would have utility in a scenario like that. There’s a couple heavy thickets and swamps You can’t easily get into it , but , could feasibly setup on the edge and attempt to call them towards you . Great idea , thanks 

• Like 1

Saturday I had at least 5 shooter bucks within 80 yards at different times during the day. I grunted at all of them and bleated at the last one. Nothing I did got them to turn and come in closer. I didn't scare any of them off but nothing worked to change there course of direction. And yes I'm still salty about it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Yes with a can for the bleat. I use my hand to “lower” the volume on the first 2 bleats. I tried one more not covering the top so it would be as loud as possible and still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can blow in the top too and control it better, never works for me though