tree stand questions....

firehunter48

So i have decided that this year i am going to treat myself to a new ladder stand of some type. the question i have for all of you is this, i want a chair type style stand but i want it to be super comfortable. not lazy boy comfortable, since i would be doing more sleeping than hunting, lol, but i want it to be more comfortable than the standard 1" pad on top of a metal mesh. i like the looks of the summit lock on stands with the chair type seat but would really really prefer a ladder stand. just looking for some opinions and suggestions so i can check some out at the WNY outdoor show in March

I have 3 of the older version of the Summit Single Shot ladder stands.

They have the replaceable sling or hammock style seats.

Very comfortable seats and really secure feeling stand. Newer versions are somewhat bigger.

Not real easy to find at BP and online they cost a small fortune for s/h.

These are around $230 when available at BP.

Also have a couple of F&S (Dick's) single person ladder stands.

Very much like the Big Game, Big Dog or River's Edge ladder stands.

Not quite as substantially made as Summits & of course the hard platform seat.

Extra cushion recommended for those of you w/o a lot of body padding.......

A few extra bolts & straps and they are fairly secure.

Do like them for the ability to maneuver more easily while standing up (larger platform).

Typically your $150 ladder stand.

FYI - I learnt the hard way!

After you've been sitting in an uncomfortable stand for 4-5 hours or when the wind really begins whipping - You'll wish you'd not been such a cheapskate!!!

If you're determined to scrimp on the cost of a stand, you'll definitely need to invest in a good safety vest.

It's tough to say what u will like, body size is the biggest key to comfort. Get out there, look at alot of stands. Going to be tough, beause most places don't even have them set up to test out. You can't stand on the floor and say that one looks comfortable. Got to get in the saddle, so to speak. We have mostly good ones, the others

we use in places where a 10' height is ok.. Was into Gander, the other day, looked and grabbed a few stands. Compare to our stands, which we own many makes, some are approching + years, they felt alot cheaper built. Also, don't reley on the side, seat supports. Most will bend fairly easy., no matter what u pay. Get yourself a good body harness.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Buy one with the largest platform you can! is nice to have a very comfortable seat but is more important to be able to stand and turn around when the buck of a life time is sneaking behind you! Learned that a chair comfort can cost you a nice deer the hard way!! bigger platform to stand on would of been the ticket!!

Ideally both; comfort & large platform!

Proverbial "chicken or egg" question.....

If you can't sit comfortably for extended peroids, you're not going to see deer to be able to shoot (from the stand).

If you're not comfortable, at least for myself I begin twitching or moving around which leads to shortened hunts.

Of course, when you see a deer it's better to be able to maneuver around on a larger platform.

I like the Big Game and Dick's stands, primarilly the 2 man stands, only because I like to be able to take my daughter with me. If it wasnt for that, Id choose the man and a half style Culver mentioned. The seat pads are kinda crappy, but an extra piece of closed cell foam helps out alot. The seats bottoms can be raised on those stands to give you more room to move while standing if need be. Personally, I dont like to be too comfortable, as it tends to make me loose focus, but I dont want to be uncomfortable either.

I would have to agree with the field and stream stand at Dick's. If you get the two person it adds twice as much room and its more comfy cuz you have more room. It comes with a nice cushion too. Great buy at like 120 dollars on sale.

You arent going to get the 2 person model with the large foot platform for $120 on any sale at Dicks. They run @ $250 regular price and $200 on sale if memory serves me correctly. The Big Game brand ones at Gander, which are almost the same, but dont have as wide of a ladder, are $250. You might be able to get the XL single person or the 2 person model with the dinky foot platform on sale for $120.

I have my Dads hot seat, most be 30 years old ! I take a piece on closed cell foam from a sleeping pad and cut it to fit inside my daypack. This pads my back from tree steps and other hard objects in the pack and I always have something to sit on this way.

I agree with the comfort factor as stated above. I would rather spend the extra now instead of sitting hours in a deat thats cutting into you. I am in the market for a new stand for next season. I have had enough with the hand me down I got from my uncle. I feel that if I wa smore comfrotable I would sit in the stand longer, increasing my chances. I have seen many stands with hammock style seats which are nice. My next stand will have a seat with good cushion and a large platform. good luck finding yourself one.

• 3 weeks later...

We have some Field & Stream ladder stands from Dicks. Think they were on sale for $49.We own 8 of these, and are holding up very well. Came with a cheap seat pad, but I have a good quiet seat cushion to use. Good idea on the rachet straps. They add to the strength . I put good ones on all my stands. We use the shoe strings to raise the weapons up and down with.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter