Best maintenance free food plot?

phantom

I assume you mean after the plot been planted and established.   Most will benefit from fertilizer but most will also been fine without it for a season.   If you are looking for a plot that will last multiple seasons, clover is the only one I can think of but it should be at least mowed a few times a year to last longer - 3 to 4 years.    It will last a few seasons without mowing but weeds grow in and it’s less palatable to deer as the clover grows without mowing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I assume you mean after the plot been planted and established.   Most will benefit from fertilizer but most will also been fine without it for a season.   If you are looking for a plot that will last multiple seasons, clover is the only one I can think of but it should be at least mowed a few times a year to last longer - 3 to 4 years.    It will last a few seasons without mowing but weeds grow in and it’s less palatable to deer as the clover grows without mowing. 

Thanks, what but that stuff advertised as throw and grow ? That you can supposedly just toss on the ground with out doing nothing or is that BS ? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thanks, what but that stuff advertised as throw and grow ? That you can supposedly just toss on the ground with out doing nothing or is that BS ? 

May or may not work depending on light, soil quality, etc.   sounds like you are asking what is easiest to grow.  Winter wheat and rye grow on almost anything with sufficient moisture. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Question :  Would Tractor Supply have Winter Wheat and Rye ?

Unless you know a farmer, they seem tough to find in small quantities without paying expensive shipping,, at least for me.    Maybe a local seed shop.  Our local agway carries very little but it’s geared towards suburban homes, not farming.  

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

was just there less than 10 minutes ago, and i bought some food plot mixes on clearance for next season. But didnt see any winter wheat or rye

Good idea.  Some of the leftover seems to grow fine the next season.  Likely lower germination rate but who cares.  Plant a bit higher rare. 

Just now, moog5050 said:

Good idea.  Some of the leftover seems to grow fine the next season.  Likely lower germination rate but who cares.  Plant a bit higher rare. 

they had some throw and grow i am going to try frost seeding in some of the existing trails and see if it takes.  New to planting for this year for food plots.  We are going to til a spot or two and will put in some mixes there for small kill plots.  But have a couple trails that grow some grasses and going to try throwing in some clover mixes on it.  Like this one  IMG_20201017_154252950.jpg

Some TSC will have wheats and ryes, often in mixes. You'll see it in the large mix bags (40-50lbs) from Mossy Oak/Gamekeeper and then some of the other smaller options. No monoculture.

We've had mixed results with some leftover seeds this year. Unless you're really hurting, I don't see the value. The storage variables are big factor as alot of them will be two seasons from harvest to planting. Brassicas and some clovers have done well for us but not soybeans and some of the grasses.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Unless you know a farmer, they seem tough to find in small quantities without paying expensive shipping,, at least for me.    Maybe a local seed shop.  Our local agway carries very little but it’s geared towards suburban homes, not farming.  

If you need any for next season , I know a farmer ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phantom said:

I used it just ran a rake over it I mowed it once a month so it would not go to seed and keep weeds down it did well

• Like 1