Possible new world record 8 point

erussell

The deer was taken in Illinois and the guy shot it on his own land. He said he had trail cam pics of the deer, knew it was out there, had seen it in the early gun season but couldn't get a good shot. He killed it on 12/1/2011 in the late deer season. Congratulations to him!

Long time for a deer that big to stay under wraps!! 2 plus months?? I dont know about you guys but with all of todays high teck phones and what not you would think there would be kill site pics(probably 100 plus if it was me) of some kind. You know how we are. Man i took so many pics of my 128 inch in the woods this year that i had to delete some off my phone as it was maxed out. Lets hope this is legit, Man that makes the statement a buck of a life time sound SO true!!!!!

You would think that the groups (D&DH, Petersens and the like ) would have HOPEFULLY done their do diligence before hanging pics of the guy & his buck.

As far as the pictures, I would have shot 6-10 rolls of print film(grin) in the field, on the front lawn, at the filling station, hanging from the hook etc. There'd be PLENTY of posted pics on the web within moments of reaching civilazation.

Like others have said, I hope its legit..

If not, lets string him up by his onions.......................................

Long time for a deer that big to stay under wraps!! 2 plus months?? I dont know about you guys but with all of todays high teck phones and what not you would think there would be kill site pics(probably 100 plus if it was me) of some kind. You know how we are. Man i took so many pics of my 128 inch in the woods this year that i had to delete some off my phone as it was maxed out. Lets hope this is legit, Man that makes the statement a buck of a life time sound SO true!!!!!

They can stay under wraps pretty well. I know of a couple of monsters shot this past season, right here in NY that most people will never hear about or see. Some people are very private about that stuff.

They can stay under wraps pretty well. I know of a couple of monsters shot this past season, right here in NY that most people will never hear about or see. Some people are very private about that stuff.

I hear that. I know of a few in the 150 to 160 that have been shot over the last few yrs that were just cut off and thrown in a basement. Some guys are really protective of thier hunting area. They get to see the rack and thats good enough for them. I know when I shoot my bucks, It must look suspicious. I try to sneak them out and get them in the back of the car as quickly as possible.Or ill be patrolling more than hunting. I shot the big 8 on my hill one time and he was to heavy for me to lift into the trunk by myself. So I asked a neighbor to help me. It turned into a 3 ring circus with about 10 vehicles parked on the side of the road to look at it. Next time ill back it up against bank and drag it into the trunk. Turned into more of a pain in the neck because the back side of the property butts up against stateland and people would come into the property that way. Just easier to keep it quiet.

Yep. Ill most likely be keeping my good cam pics to myself this year. Shared them with some other guys that hunt the farm last year and they hunted the piss out of the area. I still saw most of the bucks I was after, but I feel I should have seen them more. Ill be only showing the pics after I kill the deer from here on out. Lesson learned.

• Like 2

what would a world record spike be? 2 16" tines, or like 20"+ tines?

Ha then we had a or close to a world record here one year....thin tines came up 4inches then went 2inches past ears on either side and over his nose and nearly touched infront...not a tine growing up from either "beam" as it were..seen him a year later with three 2-3 inch tines on each side and rack was just as wide...reminded me of a skinny long horned steer...well that's what came to mind....

I agree with yas on some wanting to keep the deer to themselves and not go public but as we can see this is not the case with this fella. Mabey there are more pics out there somewhere but just weird with no woods pics or with weapon taken with. Everybody is different i guess and if its not legit it will come out sooner or later..... It always does!!!!

Love hate relationship there. Glad to see he is sharing the news of a world-class buck. He's going to regret it in following years as his land may never likely be so lightly hunted ever again. Even if he prevents trespassing...stands will be ringed around the property line.

If I ever shot a buck like that, I honestly think I'd call Art Hirsch (Reg. 8 biologist)...have him and the ECO come out and look the kill site over, give me info on the deer, and then I'd shut the heck up. I trust my taxi enough to keep it under wraps, but it'd be a very straightforward conversation.

Yep. Ill most likely be keeping my good cam pics to myself this year. Shared them with some other guys that hunt the farm last year and they hunted the piss out of the area. I still saw most of the bucks I was after, but I feel I should have seen them more. Ill be only showing the pics after I kill the deer from here on out. Lesson learned.

Learned that one a long time ago. Alot of people are lazy and dont want to do the work to get the deer. If they hear you running your mouth about a deer you saw they are going to take full advantage of it. I see a nice one I might share it on here, but I dont tell another soul, not even my father. I wont even devulge the doe groups I see anymore. Before you know it there will be 30 guys tracking through the woods filling there doe tags. My usuall response anymore when asked where I shot a certain deer is " in the woods " :P

Edited by erussell