Whitetail Deer Hunting Tips?

Kobe222

Does anyone have any great bowhunting tips to consider when Hunting Whitetail from treestands?

What are some good tactics to get whitetail close to the area?
How high should I place my stand in the tree in order to not have to worry about the wind and my scent?
How long should I wait after taking a shot on a deer in order to begin tracking?

Any suggestions to these questions and other helpful tips?

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.
Scout scout scout!!! That’s going to help you hone in on the travel routes to and from food and beds. Once you find the active runs, time to find an appropriate tree.I’m usually 15-25’ up depending on the cover and tree but even at 25’ wind direction is still critical to consider. If I see the deer drop I still wait 15 minutes before I start climbing down so never really head out until 30 minutes minimum. If the hit is questionable I wait 1 hour until I even check the hit site and arrow and then read the sign to figure out how to proceed.

Where you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best advice I have is that the learning and the chess game are as much fun as actually getting a deer. Be sure to enjoy it all. 

Don't worry about height on a stand. Finding a spot that you can blend in and use each stand during the right wind direction is far more important.

Use lighted nocks for your arrows. Huge help on knowing where the shot hit.  

Waiting on a shot deer all depends on shot placement.  I usually wait a minimum of a half an hour before I even look at the arrow.  If there is blood everywhere and I feel I had a heart or double lung I will start to look.  But a stomach shot need to wait 8+ hours if you can. 

Trail cams are so much fun and great for scouting even if you only have one to start. 

Enjoy it all. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

You dont get the deer to come to your stand ,you put your stand where the deer are . The best advice for shooting from a treestand is to draw like you're shooting on the ground and then bend at the waist ,once you get the feel of how it should feel you can draw pointing down . Alot of people over do it with waiting in the stand after the shot ,I get down right away and go to the hit location and start the investigation. 

• Like 1

1st scout  scout scouting  you ahould.positoon stand  so shot will be 5 to 13 yards  to expected shot...Height is what your comfortable with, movement is a bigger enemy than anything else. ,  if deer doesn't drop in sight wait at.least an hour . A good hit deer drop.fast.

• Like 1

Bow hunted for well over 35 years this is my opinion put in every hour you can be as still as possible don’t play with your phone I would say for hight 15 feet max angle gets harder higher up set up 30 yards down wind of trails you know does use if you are after bucks use a grunt tube and large bleat can every half hour or so 

• 2 weeks later...

Dont worry so much about height as wind direction. Be still. Leave the cell phone on silent in your pocket. the two seconds spent glancing at it is probably the two seconds you missed the flash of a tail...

Be patient. TV shows /etc. give a VERY unrealistic perception of hunting. Sure, there are some productive spots where you might see several deer a sitting, but way more often you may spend days without. Learn patience, be observant. Enjoy the goal. 

Practice from your stand. 

"Good enough" shooting usually isnt...and results in wounded deer. Hold yourself to a high standard (not for a wall hanger deer, but for your ethics).

Use the wind. Make sure it never blows towards the suspected direction of deer coming at you. 
before that even you must find the deer. You wanna know how to find em now? If you know the land more or less don’t waste time scouting where there are. That will change. Scout forward. Where they are going.  
The oak trees are heavy with mast. Learn your preferred food sources. White oaks are preferred over blacks but even whites have a preference order. Learn them. Look up into trees and see which trees (in preference order) have nuts. You’ll know where to go come season. As one good source is depleted you’ll know where to check for the rest. 
Watch trees for fresh clippings. Squirrels will go up and cut pieces off to throw down. An actively used tree is all green around it. When one is shot the ground is brown. 
Check all food sources. If you have bean understand the difference in green, yellow, brown. Know corn stage differences and how they relate to usage. 
Also in places where food is abundant and bedding is scarce, focus on routes to and from bedding. The places bedding is abundant food is scarce key in on the food. These concentrate deer. Water in a drought caused equal concentrations obviously. 
Keep your mind open and think where the deer are going come fall. It’s gonna change from now. 

1 hour ago, phade said:

Poster is first time post, listed location as Samoa, and references deer here in NY as Whitetail deer....

Seems sus, as the kids tell me.

You would expect someone with no post counts to ask question about Deer  hunting if they're new . The location thing I could see as a cover up . At least he wasnt trying to sell us dick pills like the other one time post guys every morning LOL

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

You would expect someone with no post counts to ask question about Deer  hunting if they're new . The location thing I could see as a cover up . At least he wasnt trying to sell us dick pills like the other one time post guys every morning LOL

Posted 12 days ago, too. 

It's weird IMO, esp the reference to whitetail deer - whitetail reference seem like a midwest thing where mulies are. East coat people just normally say...deer. It's like someone on here saying I'm from New York, New York vs saying I'm from the city. Whatevs, I guess.

• Like 2