They want us to start wearing masks again???

Gobbler Chaser

Talking about ladder stands. I bought 2 to put on our new property last year and never did. Now , we sold the land and I will have to find another place..lol

Or you can give the ladder stands to your good friend the chef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Or you can give the ladder stands to your good friend the chef

Ha.ha... Wait. I'm not positive I do... jk.. If you promise to set it up in a good spot , and let me hunt out of it 2 times, you are on.

Ha.ha... Wait. I'm not positive I do... jk.. If you promise to set it up in a good spot , and let me hunt out of it 2 times, you are on.

Hahah how far are you from rockland county I’d actually consider that deal

1 minute ago, Chef said:

Hahah how far are you from rockland county I’d actually consider that deal

Just checked.. dammit! Says 5 hrs 45minutes.. You have me thinking though. I do have a handful of stands I rarely use. Maybe I should be lending them out around the state..hmmm?

2 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

When is the trip? I'm envious! 

DIY trip . We have a cabin rented for a week in the White River national forest. 2 of us . We can use SxS right from cabin. Plan is to drive on these rds /trails as far as we can and then hike from there. We are going to be equipped to overnight as well.  I'm picturing us finding a spot we would rather stay the night then hike back out.. We have talked about it for years. Decided at 50 we better get on it..lol

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Chef said:

Nice, I also built two ladder stands that need to get put out. I have a 3rd still in the box but not sure what I’m doing there yet. All I know for sure is i already put in for October 1st off

Please follow the directions this time ...

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

DIY trip . We have a cabin rented for a week in the White River national forest. 2 of us . We can use SxS right from cabin. Plan is to drive on these rds /trails as far as we can and then hike from there. We are going to be equipped to overnight as well.  I'm picturing us finding a spot we would rather stay the night then hike back out.. We have talked about it for years. Decided at 50 we better get on it..lol

That sounds so cool! Wishing you safe travels and best of luck out there!!

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Nice, I also built two ladder stands that need to get put out. I have a 3rd still in the box but not sure what I’m doing there yet. All I know for sure is i already put in for October 1st off

I put up a new ladder stand last year. Want to buy one more this year, for a spot I found scouting post season. 

Got a couple Reveal Cams on my bench awaiting batteries. Hope to get them up to the farm this weekend.

• Like 1

Just now, grampy said:

That sounds so cool! Wishing you safe travels and best of luck out there!!

Thanks. One of the reasons I wanted to go mid September was that it is the middle of the rut. Once I hear one bugle in the wild my trip is worth it , regardless of what happens next.. Neither one of us has a set schedule to return.  It may be that we have to stay an extra week or so to eat enough pounds of elk to be able to carry it all out.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not interested in getting sucked into this stupid ass political conversation, but I do have some input on full cal.  50  bullets that are Colorado legal...

IF they are still in business, try  NoExcuses  460 grain conicals....  Colorado legal ( less than 1"  long at .50 cal)  easy loading and very accurate  in my TC Hawken .50 cal....

I may have a few left that I would mail you if you want to  PM  me...Worked great on my  2004 Colorado bull..Never saw a more perfect mushroom in my life..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'm not interested in getting sucked into this stupid ass political conversation, but I do have some input on full cal.  50  bullets that are Colorado legal...

IF they are still in business, try  NoExcuses  460 grain conicals....  Colorado legal ( less than 1"  long at .50 cal)  easy loading and very accurate  in my TC Hawken .50 cal....

I may have a few left that I would mail you if you want to  PM  me...Worked great on my  2004 Colorado bull..Never saw a more perfect mushroom in my life..

Thank you for the offer! 

That is great news.. I ordered that exact bullet today as well as the thor in 300 gr (I think). I will find something that works.

How much powder?

I have already spent more money on bullets than I have since owning my muzzleoader ~20 years ago..

Edited by ncountry

11 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Won't break my heart to make this an elk hunting thread.......

D27207F0-6372-4CB0-9D4D-D128277EF852.jpeg

E011AB35-8969-42E2-8E35-6F7573CC60D0.jpeg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 4

My vintage Hawken shot lights out with 80 grains  of 3F 777....  With  a tang mounted peep sight I could shoot  2-3 inch groups at 100 from the bench.. Dropped like a rock beyond  125 yards or so, but with a little Kentucky windage I could still hit a 20 pound propane tank at 175...Ended up killing my 6x6 bull at about 15 yards...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My vintage Hawken shot lights out with 80 grains  of 3F 777....  With  a tang mounted peep sight I could shoot  2-3 inch groups at 100 from the bench.. Dropped like a rock beyond  125 yards or so, but with a little Kentucky windage I could still hit a 20 pound propane tank at 175...Ended up killing my 6x6 bull at about 15 yards...

I also ordered a peep sight today..;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Oh, and what part of Colorado did you hunt?

Unit 76, near Creede...Rented a cabin on a ranch  and drove about 5 minutes to National Forest Land....I never saw another ML hunter, only a couple of bowhunters..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

Beside , it's all DTs idea. He needs a new hunting coat..

All I did was mention if this thread gets a few more pages I'll allow myself to drop some cash on a new coat. Little did I know getting the hunting crew on board would derail the thread this much. I did make a mental note on that though.

Some interesting info on muzzle loaders in this thread now. I kept and keep going back and forth on one. I've decided to let it simmer another year and see if I want one of those or to upgrade my bow. I'll most likely end up getting a new bow because the only time I would use a ML is for one week up north ( 5 days tops depending on weather ), and I don't mind using the bow up there so...........

• Like 2

I put up a new ladder stand last year. Want to buy one more this year, for a spot I found scouting post season. 
Got a couple Reveal Cams on my bench awaiting batteries. Hope to get them up to the farm this weekend.

Great minds think alike….

• Like 1