They want us to start wearing masks again???

Gobbler Chaser

Really quick answers:

I shouldn't say always. I know better. But for practical purposes, nearly always is appropriate.

I don't know anything about N99 masks, sorry. My familiarity ends with N95 and KN95 - and I HATE masks, but wear what's most effective in a clinical setting of course. I'm glad I'm in academic medicine and not treating patients.

I haven't looked at how humidity influences transmission rates, but the detrimental effect of low humidity on our respiratory system might outweigh any benefits. I do not have any evidence to share, though, sorry. Interesting idea though. Low humidity might allow for faster evaporation...

Edited by knehrke

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

The moisture that the bug clings to is vapor/droplet that comes from the infected person- their cough, sneeze, etc.  It's not the moisture that's in the air on a muggy day.

I was asking a question to a reply questioning a quoted reply. I'm aware how it's transmitted.

• Like 1

I just read a recent review on viral transmission and relative humidity. Thank you for the question - I learned something new. It's not straightforward, and it's not intuitive either.

The bottom line from my brief reading of the review is that there's a balance between higher humidity preventing the aerosol particles from traveling through the air and a lower humidity resulting in inactivation of the virus. Some of this depends on the viral coat parameters, and there are anomalies that have yet to be explained, too. 

I guess this makes sense, if you think about sneezing into a pool or into a vacuum. There's a sweet spot, maybe 40-60% is a number I saw touted. 

25 minutes ago, knehrke said:

bottom line from my brief reading of the review is that there's a balance between higher humidity preventing the aerosol particles from traveling through the air and a lower humidity resulting in inactivation of the virus. Some of this depends on the viral coat parameters,

Ok , so humidity too high isn’t good for transmission because of air density maybe or what? And Too Low  Humidity isnt good either cuz there’s No vectors to cling to I guess. Something that Virgil said made a lot of sense , too- talking about virus particles JUST traveling when a host sneezes or coughs . I read before somewhere that it doesn’t persist in the air for long anyway so to transmit , someone has to cough or sneeze within fairly close proximity to someone .

• Like 1

Ben Shapiro: Until We Stand Up for Our Freedom, the COVID Panic Will Only Continue.

We have hit the goalposts; every adult now has the capacity to protect himself. There are no other realistic goalposts: Zero COVID-19 cases was never a realistic goal.

When is the job of government done?

https://www.westernjournal.com/ben-shapiro-stand-freedom-covid-panic-will-continue/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=westernjournalism&utm_content=2021-08-04&utm_campaign=manualpost&fbclid=IwAR05GhYVYYF6a5Q7_SMFy0R0liZ1QDk8yDOHl3dMioX5w75KinQqSoBhc5s

• Like 3

On 8/1/2021 at 7:53 PM, New York Hillbilly said:

With the recent flood of people crossing the border, then being bussed throughout out the country, I think it is a legitimate and important question to be asking. 

Again, with the fear of Covid being espoused by the current administration, wouldn't to knowingly then allow, or rather encourage a source of Covid to enter the United States be an assault against our country?

For those who express serious concern for their children's safety, are you not pissed that your children may well be being deliberately placed in harms way? 

Exactly!!!!   IF you are so concerned about covid... and it's spread... Then you should be Pissed that Biden is busing non vaxxed illegals across the Country! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Eric J said:

Exactly!!!!   IF you are so concerned about covid... and it's spread... Then you should be Pissed that Biden is busing non vaxxed illegals across the Country! 

OK, great.  Now what?  Continue to choose not to protect yourself in protest of the immigration fiasco?  If you're concerned about that issue, all the more reason to protect yourself and your loved ones.  Isn't that the one of the reasons that we all want to own firearms- to protect ourselves against crimes when the police can't protect us?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, virgil said:

OK, great.  Now what?  Continue to choose not to protect yourself in protest of the immigration fiasco?  If you're concerned about that issue, all the more reason to protect yourself and your loved ones.  Isn't that the one of the reasons that we all want to own firearms- to protect ourselves against crimes when the police can't protect us?

Hey hey,don't mix up these issues,they are clearly something entirely different...:rofl:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, virgil said:

No - continue to call out the Biden administration for its incredibly imprudent policies managing our southern border . It is hypocritical to assail citizens , yet allow that to continue , especially when considering it could so easily be rectified . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

No - continue to call out the Biden administration for its incredibly imprudent policies managing our southern border . It is hypocritical to assail citizens , yet allow that to continue , especially when considering it could so easily be rectified . 

I just saw a news article shaming the bikers for going to sturgis this year.  I think what its come to is a good majority of the people in favor of restrictions and mandates are  jealous of the people who arnt scared and started enjoying their life again.

• Like 4

I guess it could be. But I'm headed to Alaska tomorrow for two weeks, and the majority of my colleagues simply said, "Have fun, be safe". So yeah, there's definitely still fear out there, but there's also a bunch of folks who are willing to weigh the evidence and act rationally. IMHO, I see no reason the bikers shouldn't have fun. I bet helmets are better than masks lol...

But I'm with you in the media trying to stir the pot. Constantly.

• Like 3

We continue to figure out ways to extend social and physical inconveniences and our citizens while at the same time mass-importing covid through our southern borders and distributing the non-citizen carriers throughout the states. Does that make sense to anyone here?

• Like 5

If you understand the motive it does.  Keep the virus in crises mode, while importing more illegals to vote after you give them amnesty, and demand all the same crazy voting changes for 2022 that allowed the cheating in 2020.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Can’t we do both?

9 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Hey thanks! Now I know what to get a whole lot of people for Christmas this year! Plastic bags and some zip ties!

...plus duct tape, for when you absolutely, positively need that perfect seal...

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Can’t we do both?

Let’s secure the border first - the way it appears , the vaccines efficacy is more and more In  Question Im Terms of its  Efficacy for protecting against delta anyway.  I just spoke to a woman down here in SC who’s Hubby got COVID , is sick and is FULLY VACCINATED . These cases are more than just merely anecdotal . I don’t think it protects that well against delta - period . But I DO BELIEVE that protecting the border is a national imperative and should be  Taken care of IMMEDIATELY, with or sans COVID . Doesn’t make sense and is very dangerous. BIDEN IS WRONG  HERE. END OF STORY . 

6 hours ago, knehrke said:

I guess it could be. But I'm headed to Alaska tomorrow for two weeks, and the majority of my colleagues simply said, "Have fun, be safe". So yeah, there's definitely still fear out there, but there's also a bunch of folks who are willing to weigh the evidence and act rationally. IMHO, I see no reason the bikers shouldn't have fun. I bet helmets are better than masks lol...

But I'm with you in the media trying to stir the pot. Constantly.

I'll extend the same message. Have fun in Alaska! I hope to return to my home there sometime soon.