TICS!

njg0621

Here is some more on the subject

Lyme Disease Surge Predicted for the Northeastern U.S.

Boom-and-bust acorn crops and a decline in mice leave humans vulnerable to infected ticks

Millbrook, NY – The northeastern U.S. should prepare for a surge in Lyme disease this spring. And we can blame fluctuations in acorns and mouse populations, not the mild winter. So reports Dr. Richard S. Ostfeld, a disease ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, NY.

What do acorns have to do with illness? Acorn crops vary from year-to-year, with boom-and-bust cycles influencing the winter survival and breeding success of white-footed mice. These small mammals pack a one-two punch: they are preferred hosts for black-legged ticks and they are very effective at transmitting Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.

“We had a boom in acorns, followed by a boom in mice. And now, on the heels of one of the smallest acorn crops we’ve ever seen, the mouse population is crashing,” Ostfeld explains. Adding, “This spring, there will be a lot of Borrelia burgdorferi-infected black-legged ticks in our forests looking for a blood meal. And instead of finding a white-footed mouse, they are going to find other mammals—like us.”

For more than two decades, Ostfeld, Cary Institute forest ecologist Dr. Charles D. Canham, and their research team have been investigating connections among acorn abundance, white-footed mice, black-legged ticks, and Lyme disease. In 2010, acorn crops were the heaviest recorded at their Millbrook-based research site. And in 2011, mouse populations followed suit, peaking in the summer months. The scarcity of acorns in the fall of 2011 set up a perfect storm for human Lyme disease risk.

Black-legged ticks take three bloodmeals—as larvae, as nymphs, and as adults. Larval ticks that fed on 2011’s booming mouse population will soon be in need of a nymphal meal. These tiny ticks—as small as poppy seeds—are very effective at transmitting Lyme to people. The last time Ostfeld’s research site experienced a heavy acorn crop (2006) followed by a sparse acorn crop (2007), nymphal black-legged ticks reached a 20-year high.

The May-July nymph season will be dangerous, and Ostfeld urges people to be aware when outdoors. Unlike white-footed mice, who can be infected with Lyme with minimal cost, the disease is debilitating to humans. Left undiagnosed, it can cause chronic fatigue, joint pain, and neurological problems. It is the most prevalent vector-borne illness in the U.S., with the majority of cases occurring in the Northeast.

Ostfeld says that mild winter weather does not cause a rise in tick populations, although it can change tick behavior. Adult ticks, which are slightly larger than a sesame seed, are normally dormant in winter but can seek a host whenever temperatures rise several degrees above freezing. The warm winter of 2011-2012 induced earlier than normal activity. While adult ticks can transmit Lyme, they are responsible for a small fraction of tick-borne disease, with spring-summer nymphs posing more of a human health threat.

Past research by Ostfeld and colleagues has highlighted the role that intact forest habitat and animal diversity play in buffering Lyme disease risks. He is currently working with health departments in impacted areas to educate citizens and physicians about the impending surge in Lyme disease.

Not sure if this is true for all??? When I go into the woods here on the island I usually come out covered in tics and chigga bites. However, when I'm upstate, I can work all day and be totally fine. Anybody experience the same???

Used to be that way, years ago. They're becoming more and more common upstate.

Hmmmmm.. I have spent most of my life outdoors and had exactly ONE tick inbedded in me, which happened after handling a fox pelt..

I have removed a fair number from dogs and cats over the years, mostly large wood ticks.

Perhaps I have just been lucky.. I have also hunted spring gobblers in Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Maine and Ontario and never picked up a tick..

Maybe I just don't taste good...

Not sure if this is true for all??? When I go into the woods here on the island I usually come out covered in tics and chigga bites. However, when I'm upstate, I can work all day and be totally fine. Anybody experience the same???

I used to agree with you. When I lived in Orange County ticks could carry you away. Up until this year up here in the Oneonta area I would see little to no ticks but that is changing. I dug one out of my back the other day after running my dog & had two more this past fall not to count the ones I have found crawling on me. I would consider myself a high risk candidate as the majority of my time is spent outside with work or daily training with my dog. i have heard a lot of people complaining lately in this area. Start checking yourself a little better in the upstate area's.

Hmmmmm.. I have spent most of my life outdoors and had exactly ONE tick inbedded in me, which happened after handling a fox pelt..

I have removed a fair number from dogs and cats over the years, mostly large wood ticks.

Perhaps I have just been lucky.. I have also hunted spring gobblers in Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Maine and Ontario and never picked up a tick..

Maybe I just don't taste good...

You arent alone, Ive never had one on me, and I spend a ton of time outdoors.

yes upstate in years past you could roll around in the leaves and never see a tick, in 15 deer butchered in the past 10 years i had only seen a tick 2 times, this year my 1 deer had over 10 ticks come off it

Spray baby spray. I usually don't walk in the woods in Suffolk ,Orange or Rockland counties without treating my clothes first anymore. I'm trying something new this year. Recently I bought a quart of 10% Permithrin on line for about $22. Makes about 5 gallons @ a 19:1 ratio to bring it down to .5%. So far it seems to be working. Went up for a walk last weekend without picking up a single tick.

I got bit on Sunday that is the first one I have ever had on me. I have been hunting for 32 years this one got on me riding my 4 wheeler. Dr. gave me Doxycycline for 15 days. He told me he had a 42 yr old woman die from Lyme disease in 2006. Be careful and see your Dr. if bitten.

Edited by coyoteman

When stationed at Camp LeJeune many many years ago , we had to fight the ticks , chiggers and sand fleas . At that time when you had a tick on you , you put a red hot cigarette on it's butt to get it to back out . That's a no no now .

Not sure if it's not a healthy thing to do or considered animal cruelty ! :girlcrazy:

• Like 1

When stationed at Camp LeJeune many many years ago , we had to fight the ticks , chiggers and sand fleas . At that time when you had a tick on you , you put a red hot cigarette on it's butt to get it to back out . That's a no no now .

Not sure if it's not a healthy thing to do or considered animal cruelty ! :girlcrazy:

Yeah PETA may start a movement LOL!

• Like 2

BEST STUFF KNOWN TO MAN!

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_hpc_1

I have hunted in the central and northern part of the state for close to 30 years and did not see a tick for the first 20. The past 5 years or so they have been getting worse each year. I used to not even see them on the deer. The buck I got last year in bow had 40 or 50 on it just that I saw. I have also pulled a couple out of the dog and one out of me in the past two years and catch a few crawlin on me.

I took the advise of a friend and got the Sawyers. My son and I were out for 4 hours reposting my property Sunday and did not have one crawling on us.

They are nasty little buggers and it is suprising how many people actually have Lyme, I have run into quite a few.

I typically find one or two dog ticks crawling on my pants while out deer hunting - and it's no big deal just crush them and that's it. I've only had two or three that actually bit me - two were deer ticks and the last one was between the fingers. I just pulled them out and kept an eye out for the bulls-eye bruise which I never got (although last Dr. said I should go on antibiotics as a precaution next time).

Even though, I'm not looking forward to this year - especially for my two boys.

Hmmmmm.. I have spent most of my life outdoors and had exactly ONE tick inbedded in me,

You know I have said that exact same phase for over 40 years.

Now all of a sudden I am picking up ticks in places that I never dreamed of. I never used to think about ticks in Madison County but now I have to be careful everytime I go out. I picked up ticks on several occasions the first week of the past southern tier gun season.

Edited by RangerClay