Finally, something that actually makes sense

Doc

Finally, someone has actually used their noggin to come up with a real-deal youth hunting and fishing recruitment program ...... something that is more than simply window dressing. I ran across an article in New York Outdoor News that described introduced bills "that would require the state Department of Environmental Conservation to develop an education program for grades 9 thru 12 regarding types of fish that can be caught, game sought and other information necessary for implementing an education program" (in NYS schools)

"High school students around NYS could be learning about the state's hunting and fishing opportunities in school if a group of state legislators has their way".

Apparently the idea was spawned from annual events held in the Hoosick Falls Central School District where each spring they hold a conservation awareness day that focuses on hunting, fishing and conservation issues, where students hear and see presentations from DEC employees and others that are involved in sporting activities and conservation. It sounds like this legislation is trying to formalize a piece of highschool curriculum that runs along the same lines.

Those with good memories will recall that on several times I commented that the DEC should be more involved with our schools. Well it looks like some others have come to that conclusion as well. This is something that truly has the potential for adding significant numbers of new hunters and fishermen and may be able to bring back the "cool factor" for outdoor activities.

For those that wish to support this piece of legislation, the bill IDs are A4345, and S4933. I'm pretty pumped about this action, and just maybe, it has restored a little of my confidence in some of our legislators....lol.

Great idea if they can implement it state wide... That would have my support for sure. Great tool for outdoors introdution especially for suburban kids who might miss out. I would hope field trips would be required and essential. Wow I want to go back to school now, lol. Many hurdles to jump over for that to take effect, perhaps too many.

Yeah, it's certainly not a done deal, and even if it does get implemented into law, it is still optional participation by each school. However, where this is adopted, there is no doubt that a whole lot of kids will get an indoctrination that is currently completely unavailable. To have this sort of thing going on in the school environment is exactly what is needed to build aceptance once again of hunting and fishing (they didn't mention anything about trapping) among children. We have been completely missing in the battle to win the hearts and minds of youngsters in schools, while the other side has been very well represented. I see this as not only an opportunity to add significant numbers to the hunting ranks, but also to create a lifetime aire of social acceptance among those that don't actually become hunters and fishermen.

These are the kinds of ideas that are needed by pro-hunting legislators and outdoor organizations as well as the DEC. This is the kind of thing that will really make a difference and is something that deserves our support.

• Like 1

Here's the justification for these bills, A4933 anyways;

"In addition to creating a healthier lifestyle and providing insight

into the cultural significance of an area and its activities,

providing education in the classroom will also lead to place hunting,

fishing and outdoor recreation in a positive light."

Basically a bill with all the window dressings promoting conservation & education, but for fighting obesity as its' main goal.

Great idea, but for all the wrong reasons. Too bad the already over-extended DEC got dragged into this project.

Maybe it would ignite a spark in the classroom, but they'd still need the mentor outside of the classroom.

Think there exists any mentoring system for HS youths that are addicted to sugar or Xbox?

Here's the justification for these bills, A4933 anyways;

"In addition to creating a healthier lifestyle and providing insight

into the cultural significance of an area and its activities,

providing education in the classroom will also lead to place hunting,

fishing and outdoor recreation in a positive light."

Basically a bill with all the window dressings promoting conservation & education, but for fighting obesity as its' main goal.

Great idea, but for all the wrong reasons. Too bad the already over-extended DEC got dragged into this project.

Maybe it would ignite a spark in the classroom, but they'd still need the mentor outside of the classroom.

Think there exists any mentoring system for HS youths that are addicted to sugar or Xbox?

It's true. There is more than one reason why this is a good bill and deserves support. And I'll admit that it is increasingly rare to find an intelligent pro-conservation program that has additional side benefits. I see that as yet another huge aid in justifying and selling the program to reluctant school systems. That's not a bad thing ..... lol.

You see these bills as benificial and I see them as putting a silk hat on a pig.

Guess this is how opinions are formed.

One thing I don't understand is your overall logic.

You'd recruit, educate & promote youths into oudoor activities, i.e.; hunting, fishing, etc.

Then you'd expose them to cold, snow & the "orange masses" for thier virgin hunt.

Makes HO-HOs and Grand Theft Auto all the more inviting......

You see these bills as benificial and I see them as putting a silk hat on a pig.

Guess this is how opinions are formed.

One thing I don't understand is your overall logic.

You'd recruit, educate & promote youths into oudoor activities, i.e.; hunting, fishing, etc.

Then you'd expose them to cold, snow & the "orange masses" for thier virgin hunt.

Makes HO-HOs and Grand Theft Auto all the more inviting......

I think you are failing to recognize that the big problem with youth recruitment today is that the sales team for hunting, fishing and outdoor activities is being replaced by the sales team for anti-hunting in our schools. It's a new approach to promoting hunting that is designed to change attitudes. This is the first time I have seen the government actually do something to reverse that and you find something evil in that? I'm afraid I don't understand. Where is the "down-side"? Yes, I expect some severe opposition from the animal rights crowd, but I never expected it would be coming from the ranks of hunters.

And yes they will be exposed and prepped for what hunting really is instead of trying to paint some phony rosey picture of what hunting is not. Chances are pretty good that young hunters introduced in an honest, good faith, fashion will be hunters that are not shocked back out of hunting because of trumped up bogus expectations. To me, that's pretty straight-forward logic.

• Like 1

Its a great idea, but really should be introduced before high school. 5ht or 6th grade at least. It could be a good PART of the solution, along with opening up more opportunities to the younger people. /

/Funny how some people see something as the solution when it doesnt have any real effect on their hunting season. True colors shining through....

Its a great idea, but really should be introduced before high school. 5ht or 6th grade at least. It could be a good PART of the solution, along with opening up more opportunities to the younger people. /

/Funny how some people see something as the solution when it doesnt have any real effect on their hunting season. True colors shining through....

My gosh, are you still all upset about the fact that I don't agree with your opinion on the other thread. Get over it and understand that not everybody has to agree with you. That really doesn't make me your enemy so don't be taking it so personal. Frankly, I get behind solutions that are something more than just "feel-good" exercises. Check it out. I find it is a much more useful and productive attitude.

Great idea but should be implemented prior to required testing grades. No school is going to add material to the limited student time in high school when it is not tested as part of graduation requirements. They are already stripping non-tested curriculum from the students as is.

My gosh, are you still all upset about the fact that I don't agree with your opinion on the other thread. Get over it and understand that not everybody has to agree with you. That really doesn't make me your enemy so don't be taking it so personal. Frankly, I get behind solutions that are something more than just "feel-good" exercises. Check it out. I find it is a much more useful and productive attitude.

A little full of ourselves arent we? Who says I was even referring to you with my comment, but if the shoe fits....

Paint the picture how ever you want. My main point would be that with all the eco friendly people who hate hunters and promote any anti hunting/fishing stuff. This is a actual real world thing that can be done to entice people into the outdoors and hunting/fishing. Will this transform our younger generation, NO. Yet it will introduce them to the outdoors and what hunting and fishing is really about. Not don't kill a animal because it is wrong which is spread throughout our school systems here on LI... The anti's have a monopoly down here you have no clue if you think otherwise, one of the reasons I doubt this will take effect, just too much resistance from the left wing...

PS: I doubt I will ever be affected by a youth hunt or any youth program, I just oppose one's that don't work in my oppinion. If that makes you think i want the woods all to my self fine be that as it may, you are entitiled to think thats my view, called an opinion...

This is a real solution not some sugar coated unrealistic hunt, and again I doubt this would ever affect me. A youth hunt would not affect me. I oppose what is not realistic. This is a real viable solution that would work for the entire state, not a few lucky kids that get a early season hunt. Again we need this to introduce people and educate them about the outdoors and in the proccess hopefully gain some recognition and acceptablitly from the border line people.

We have enough jerks out thier doing bad things, poaching, spotlighting, jacking, riding with loaded weapons, thrill hunts. This would shed good light on conservation and ethical hunting/fishing. In so far as exposing kids to the orange army, yea, you do not have to take a kid out opening day of rifle for deer as his 1st hunt. Any ethical hunter/mentor would take the kid out many times before he was intoduced to big game hunting opening day IMHO...

I am shocked at the resistance here, finally a proposal that would have a positive impact on our young and yet we find and point out the negative. Nothing is perfect yet this is the best proposal to help the young get healthy, be knowlegeable about the outdoors and or possibly become a hunter/fisherman/woman...

• Like 1

NFA, doesnt it make sense that the DEC would be trying to introduce multiple pieces to the solution rather than hang their hat on just one?

BTW, I wasnt directing my comment at you either lol. I agree with what you said in the other thread about lowering the age restrictions being a better way of doing it than a youth hunt. I just dont think we should throw the youth hunt idea out the window.

• Like 1

A little full of ourselves arent we? Who says I was even referring to you with my comment, but if the shoe fits....

I've kind of gotten used to your random sniping, and I think after your comments in the other (similar) thread, you are being a bit obvious and probably not as clever as you might think at camoflaging a mean spirited, snide and incorrect comment.

lol wny since I blocked him he needs a new person to try to boost his ego.

What is your problem. Don't you think it is rather strange that you creep around stalking every post I make. I think that is rather weird and unusual behavior. Kind of creepy if you ask me.

• 7 months later...

I don't believe that mr. Bloomburg would allow it. I hate that piece of poop!

Man, you hit the nail on the head with that. This kind of program would really benefit inner city kids and there families, but he'd rather worry about what size Regular Coke they can buy.

The man is a total arse.

(and for my spanish speaking amigos, "El hombre es un culo total.") :yes:

all this is well intentioned but the local school boards run the show,unless there are

a lot of hunting,shooting,fishing &trapping minded people there will be no blood sportsallowed,some schools have these type of activity's,they are done as elective after school projects and tought by volunteers,support from DEC is given but on a limited basis,remember in some schools the kid just points their finger or draw a picture of a gun and they are suspended