Monopod, bipod or tripod in ground blind

luberhill

Buddy uses a mono because he says the others take up too much room ..
Ive never used any … thoughts ?
Mono....I use a cheap one from Walmart and love it. Leave it there all season. Was just thinking I need to pick a few more up for our other soft sided hub blinds.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I always use a monopod in a tree stand or blind or sitting on the ground/stool. With crossbow-I use a tripod with a pig saddle or a primos tripod and their gun holding adapter to hold the damn thing until I'm ready to use it. When ready to use cross bow to shoot I either free hand hold it or use a mono pod.

Just now, Nytracker said:

I prefer a bipod... tripod doesn't leave alot of room for the feet between the blind wall and feet. Never used a monopod but I can't see where it would be better than a bipod or a tripod . Love my trigger sticks bipod in  tall and short. 

Prob no difference but I like the mono - less weight to carry - i'm gettin old....lol

I have the mono, bi, and tri, Primo's Trigger Sticks. Love them all! I use the tripod most in my ground blinds. It adapts to uneven ground quite nicely. I keep the odd leg between my feet. Plenty of room to move my feet and legs around. For gun, I have the front of the rifle resting on the tripod, with the butt of the stock either resting in my lap, or tucked to my shoulder. Pointed in the direction deer are most likely to come from. It is very sturdy, and comfortable, and I'm ready to shoot almost instantly. Also, my hands are free to follow the Live From The Woods thread!

• Like 2

I have a mono and don't care for it. I tried it a few years back when sighting in and found that there was too much play from left to right, along with forward and back. It didn't do much at all to anchor the gun when I had it shouldered. I could get it out again and give it another go, but with most of the shooting I do now I wouldn't need it. My ground blinds have built in shooting rails. If I'm still hunting, I just prop the gun against a tree. I may move to soft sided ground blinds in the future, and if I do, having some sort of shooting stick would probably come into play.

I prefer a Bi-pod . It's more stable than a Mono-pod . If I put the two feet together on the bi-pod , it can be used like a mono-pod . My son bought me a Caldwell Tri-pod thing that I have never used and is still in the box . It takes up too much room and is too bulky .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I prefer a Bi-pod . It's more stable than a Mono-pod . If I put the two feet together on the bi-pod , it can be used like a mono-pod . My son bought me a Caldwell Tri-pod thing that I have never used and is still in the box . It takes up too much room and is too bulky .

In the blind that tripod is a god send, ready to use for the moment when its needed.

When using a ground blind, I tie a thin rope or parachute cord in the ceiling on opposite sides of the window opening. I let the rope sag to the middle of the height of the window. This creates a gun sling or hammock that I rest the forearm of the gun on. Very stable and you can rotate the muzzle for different shot angles. No fumbling for mono pods or other sticks and no clanging of sticks making noise.  Nothing in the way of your feet also. Deadly. When done hunting, just roll it up and stick it in your pocket. No weight.

Edited by catskillkid

I have a couple monopods. The only thing I didn't like about them was while in a hang on, I always needed to make sure the bottom of the stick didn't slip in between the platform rungs. I came across an attachment that Primos makes for the bottom of the stick, to give it a wider base.

Amazon.com : Primos Hunting Monopod Trigger Stick Treestand Attachment : Hunting And Shooting Equipment : Sports & Outdoors