Self Defence

Kelty

Does anyone take a firearm into the woods with them when working alone out of hunting season? I saw a video of a single coyote actually stalking a hiker and eventually coming in close to snap at him, had there been two or three he would have been in trouble. I feel secure taking a rifle with me as I work alone, also the question could you shoot a coyote or bear legaly in self defence?

If I had a permit for a handgun, I'd definitely take one when scouting. I'm planning on scouting this weekend deep into the Adirondacks and the only thing that concerns me is stumbling across a mother bear with curious cubs. I always feel better taking bear pepper spray at the very least. I do not intend to be that rare case that ends up on the news and then PETA types have a celebration at my funeral cause they found out I was scouting to hunt next season.

Coyotes, nah, I went through so much hell to hunt them and never saw one that I might just try to grab and kill one with a knife if I see one lol.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

I seldom spend time in the woods without a firearm . If I am working I usually carry a handgun. If I am hiking I usually sling a centerfire rifle.... I favor one of my milsurp rifles, because the weight of the rifle increases the value of the workout... I have hiked many hundreds of miles with a Garand M1 or a military Mauser slung over my shoulder or across my back. The chamber is empty but the magazine is loaded in case I encounter something that needs to be shot.

Would I shoot a coyote or bear in self defense..?.. HELL yes...!!...

But I suspect that I am more likely to need the firearm for defense against two legged varmints , or perhaps a domestic dog...

Yeah, Steve, but what about those PUMACOUGARS that the state released from thier black stealth helicopters..?..

They are EVERYWHERE, hanging from tree limbs, hissing and spitting and SCREAMING LIKE A WOMAN..!!..

And of course, there are those deadly saber toothed cottontails.. :fie: ....

Carrying a rifle out of season? Doesn't cops stop you and ask questions? Might think you're a poacher. I think I can handle a couple of coyotes with a big knife. Sure I'll have a couple of bites on me but I'll also have a decent rug and a great story to tell.

Carrying a rifle out of season? Doesn't cops stop you and ask questions? Might think you're a poacher. I think I can handle a couple of coyotes with a big knife. Sure I'll have a couple of bites on me but I'll also have a decent rug and a great story to tell.

If your walking down the street in NY city I would hope they would. :D Everywhere else outside of a city they arent going to bother you. Do it all the time. As far as coyotes go, everyone I have met in the woods went the other way like thier tail was on fire. Bears on the other hand like to follow me around and piss me off while im hunting.

Edited by erussell

As well as a lovely series of nasty rabies shots ..... lol.

Actually, Elmo, in the hundreds of hours I have spent hiking around Steuben County, often on public roads ( albeit secondary roads like town and county roads) I was only questioned once about carrying a rifle.

I was walking with my two dogs along a county road with my Garand slung on my shoulder. A car came down the road , slowed and pulled to a stop. The driver was one of my neighbors from a few miles up the road, a retired state trooper..

He said " Is that an M-1 ?"....I replied that indeed it was...

Then he said " Is it serial number XXXXXXXX ?" I looked and said "Nope"...

Then he said " Well, is it serial number XXXXXXXO ? ".

He still remembers the serial numbers of the two rifles that he was issued in the Army in the late 1950s...

Welcome to Mayberry, Elmo.... :bye: .....

I guess I'm still not use to it. It's strange that I feel uncomfortable when I'm carrying and people stare. I guess I don't like the unwanted attention. It doesn't even register when I see someone else carrying.

I did a camp/hunt in Vermont and all the other campers/hikers I bumped into kept staring at me like I had a third eye. I also had a trooper stop to compliment me on my shotgun which I had leaning against my car as I was putting on my pack (I gave my Mossberg the tactical look). The whole time I was thinking..."Okay...why is this dude staring at my gun?".

I never carry a gun when hiking,lots of bears and coyotes in my area. My biggest concern are peoples dogs. I had 2 Rottweiller mix looking dogs one day come at me, by the time I figured I should climb a tree they were on me. Thank god they were both friendly and only wanted to be petted. If I had a gun with me I definately would of probably shot.

when we are at our land (Bolivar, NY) we do NOT go into the woods to do anything, walk, work, ride, ANYTHING without some sort of firearm. I generally carry a short barrel Mossy 500 with 3" slugs on the stock and 3" 00 buck in the tube, and my father generally always has his .40 S&W Glock on him where ever he goes period.

I will say this though.........we do NOT carry on our land for protection form animals or people. We carry as there is a ZERO population of any type of small game with the exception of squirrels. My parents also have a very small dog that goes with them whenever they are at the cabin. We carry for teh event that we are walking the trails, riding, or even doing work on the property and one of the many coyotes we have (on camera) happens to walk by or we walk up on one by dumb luck. Besides the coyotes that we are haing issues with, we also have an OVER population of porqupines that we are trying to get rid of and stop them from destroying all of our trees.

We have little to zero worries of a human or even a bear for that matter trying to attack us while we are there. Yes, we have had our share of trespassers on our property, but we take the higher road with them and let the law handle those idiots so they can suffer by paying fines and having their criminal records all screwed up

I guess I'm still not use to it. It's strange that I feel uncomfortable when I'm carrying and people stare. I guess I don't like the unwanted attention. It doesn't even register when I see someone else carrying.

I did a camp/hunt in Vermont and all the other campers/hikers I bumped into kept staring at me like I had a third eye. I also had a trooper stop to compliment me on my shotgun which I had leaning against my car as I was putting on my pack (I gave my Mossberg the tactical look). The whole time I was thinking..."Okay...why is this dude staring at my gun?".

I know what you mean Elmo. Might be cause we are from NYC (Bronx/Queens). We have a paranoid feeling of having a gun and being stopped by cops. Although when I am upstate I still have that paranoid feeling like I'm not supposed to have it unless hunting. Definitely not worried about Coyotes...damn those ghosts. I welcome a pack to descend upon me and ill climb a tree to record it all lol. then ill have a video worth watching!

I know what you mean Elmo. Might be cause we are from NYC (Bronx/Queens). We have a paranoid feeling of having a gun and being stopped by cops. Although when I am upstate I still have that paranoid feeling like I'm not supposed to have it unless hunting. Definitely not worried about Coyotes...damn those ghosts. I welcome a pack to descend upon me and ill climb a tree to record it all lol. then ill have a video worth watching!

Yeah...definitely the New Yorker in me. Spending my youth on Webster Ave, Inwood, and Washington Heights is probably why I think I can take on a couple of coyotes with nothing more than a nail clipper. Sure I'll get rabies but ain't going down like that. :spiteful:

• Like 1