Popped the Bile Sac

heavuser

First Time Poster

First Time Hunter

First Deer

Broke the Bile Sac while gutting the whitetail. After gutting the animal I poured a pot full of cold in the stomach cavity to wash out the mess. The people around me are telling me the meet is ruined, yet I cannot find anything online to confirm that. Thoughts? Did I just <insert colorful language here> my first kill?

Edited by heavuser

I don't even know what the bile sac is, deer do not have a gallbladder as far as I know.  They certainly have a bladder and sometimes it is full or urine.  Just rinse inside and wipe down if you can, it will be fine.   I do this every time there is evidence of punctured stomach or intestines.  Make sure to completely remove the anus/rectum, that is the one tricky issue if you have never done it before.  Congratulations!

8 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

Tenderloins and the rump can take on damage, my understanding is it'll have a scorched/tough/darkened appearance.

If butchering yourself, just be picky and trim it back to the nice red meat.

I was going to drop this one off at the butcher next week. The next one I harvest I plan on butchering myself.

7 minutes ago, luberhill said:

I doubt it ,, I’m sure this has happened before

True, it's just really hard to find info on this for some reason. I have quickly learned to remove the liver once the gut sac has been *removed from the deer first...

6 minutes ago, XGX7PM said:

Congratulations on the harvest and welcome to the forum.

Thank, the adrenaline rush was nothing like anything I have experienced before. I am addicted. 

5 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Kinda adds a nice spice to it imo 

:whistle:

4 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

If you dont feel comfortable, avoid the tenderloins. 

https://springcreekoutdoors.com/blog/facts-about-deer-that-you-may-not-have-known/

I just want to make sure I'm not going to make my wife or I sick.

Thanks for the link, reading up now.

1 hour ago, heavuser said:

I was going to drop this one off at the butcher next week. The next one I harvest I plan on butchering myself.

True, it's just really hard to find info on this for some reason. I have quickly learned to remove the liver once the gut sac has been *removed from the deer first...

Thank, the adrenaline rush was nothing like anything I have experienced before. I am addicted. 

:whistle:

I just want to make sure I'm not going to make my wife or I sick.

Thanks for the link, reading up now.

Have your wife try it first , wait a day, If she’s ok then you can eat it,

No sense both of you taking a chance :)

Just eat it, if it tastes off don’t but I’m sure it’s fine

Edited by luberhill

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

Have your wife try it first , wait a day, If she’s ok then you can eat it,

No sense both of you taking a chance :)

Just eat it, if it tastes off don’t but I’m sure it’s fine

And if she's not okay then I'm dead, lol.

22 minutes ago, Lucky118 said:

Pretty sure I've  exploded quite a few bile sacks with bullets and I'm  not dead yet so your good lol

Thanks everyone, I feel much better now. I learned a lot during this process and I look forward to gettn back out asap to fill up the rest of my tags!

20211127_183450.jpg

Shot her right in the spine, dropped like a sack of rocks.

Edited by heavuser

Yea congrats and welcome to the forum. Whenever stomach contents, bile, or anything similar comes into contact with meat it should be rinsed ASAP and patted dry. It's edible but not the same and tastes not a good. For that reason I typically trim off outer portion of tenderloins, hind quarters, and don't take the rib meat between ribs exposed to the inner cavity.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...