Do deer go completely nocturnal during late season?

Northcountryman

12 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

As the days shorten and the sun sets earlier, deer too begin to move earlier in the day.

Circadian rhythms (think of it as an intrinsic biological clocks in cells where gene expression and other cellular activities go up and down) cycle outside of external input. Specific circuits in the eye detect changes in ambient light and entrain (synchronize) these biological rhythms to light and dark cycles. You can see that dear activity (prominent in the evening peak) increases earlier as the seasons proceed from summer-fall-winter. This is consistent with the sun setting earlier through the seasonal progression.  

Capture.PNG

Yes, but why is the summer curves peak nearly identical with winter when sunst is delayed a few hours?  It seems as though its more time dependent . doesmt it? Actually, maybe daily savings might come into play here as well, right?

16 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Yes, but why is the summer curves peak nearly identical with winter when sunst is delayed a few hours?  It seems as though its more time dependent . doesmt it? Actually, maybe daily savings might come into play here as well, right?

I think my yellow highlighter is making the purple trace look orange.

6 hours ago, jperch said:

Oh yeah, opening morning sounded like a war zone back then.  At the end of opening day the highway (390 or maybe 15 back then?) was stuffed with deer hunters in trucks driving home to Rochester.

I remember many years as a kid watching what was essentially a parade of trucks headed south the night before opening day and early opening morning. I also remember being part of that parade my first few years of hunting. We would get to state land like Rattlesnake Hill, HiTor, Keeney Swamp, etc and there would be hunters all over the place. For years we would take campers and generators to Coyle Hill and camp there for a week, and there were tons of folks doing the same. You just don’t have that stuff anymore. 

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am loving the changes they made this year and have been able to capitalize on three of them: 1) early antlerless season 2) early ML antlerless reopened in Adirondacks 3) extra half hour before and after     Daylight.  

So, I wish to offer you a sincere “thank you” if your complaints helped contribute to those positive changes which have contributed greatly towards my own sending of 3 deer to Heaven so far this year.  Hopefully, I will get to send at least one more there during the upcoming Holiday ML season.

Another big Thankyou to my friends with the Northern Erie Snowseekers for doing what they have to make sure that special season takes place.

May you all have the merriest of Christmasses , and thanks so much for your contributions to those three early gifts which the Good Lord had already blessed our family with.

1DD86EE9-903C-40C9-A622-4B994DC6B576.jpeg

Oh look.  Pic number 114 of 80 inch antlers from a meat hunter. I would be more impressed if he had a big set of nuts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Oh look.  Pic number 114 of 80 inch antlers from a meat hunter. I would be more impressed if he had a big set of nuts. 

What about the two broken off points on the right and the extra sticker on the left.  He’d be lucky to net 70 points as a typical.  Thanks for your generosity.

2A32A885-B34D-4CF7-86F6-4CD04F3A2E1C.jpeg

D36B26D2-1944-4312-9C09-44E4137C4F4C.jpeg

5 hours ago, Trial153 said:

Notice another curious feature of the graph: the only major seasonallly dependent variance in deer movement appears to occur in the afternoon/ dusk time period. As VH stated, it shifts left from summer to winter as  sunset time gets earlier;  But the sunrise time window of movement pattern stays faily consistent, regardless of time of year.  I wonder whats up with that I wonder?

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

They are trophy hunters and that’s what they do.   I am thankful that God made me a meat hunter and I can’t think of any state that treats my kind better than NY.

My advice to the complainers would be : pack your bags and move, if you don’t love it leave it.

Im with you there. Just bagged a nice meat doe on Sunday. Plan on doing a couple nice sits right after Christmas

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly!!!!   Not much there worthy of all that publicity. 

Picture #117 shows the only measurement on that buck that matters much to me:

Merry Christmas FSW.  Are you heading down to Letchworth after to try for your southern target ?  If so, I hope you get him. 

A4B610CB-8508-4011-B445-2CFA5D9CE56F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Notice another curious feature of the graph: the only major seasonallly dependent variance in deer movement appears to occur in the afternoon/ dusk time period. As VH stated, it shifts left from summer to winter as  sunset time gets earlier;  But the sunrise time window of movement pattern stays faily consistent, regardless of time of year.  I wonder whats up with that I wonder?

Maybe this explains it a little: https://www.gaisma.com/en/location/raleigh-north-carolina.html

18 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I remember many years as a kid watching what was essentially a parade of trucks headed south the night before opening day and early opening morning. I also remember being part of that parade my first few years of hunting. We would get to state land like Rattlesnake Hill, HiTor, Keeney Swamp, etc and there would be hunters all over the place. For years we would take campers and generators to Coyle Hill and camp there for a week, and there were tons of folks doing the same. You just don’t have that stuff anymore. 

You need to come to Missouri - you'll get that experience there for sure, but without any of the BS (at least not at that level). Opening week of Missouri is very much like I remember it as a younger kid and adult. It's unreal. the most fun week every year now.

• Like 1

You need to come to Missouri - you'll get that experience there for sure, but without any of the BS (at least not at that level). Opening week of Missouri is very much like I remember it as a younger kid and adult. It's unreal. the most fun week every year now.

How long is the gun Season? 14 days?

4 hours ago, phade said:

I’d love to go. If you and David want company next year, let me know. 

I think in large part deer do what they normally do, when they normally do it. Whether the sun is shinning or not due to what season it is doesn't really matter to them.

See a lot of deer in the late afternoons and evenings in the summer? Sure, but in December it would have been dark four and a half hours ago.