Holiday Season

wolc123

On 12/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, wolc123 said:

Not legally, per the DEC, because you can take up to (6) antlerless bucks in many DMU’s (assuming you get (2) transferred and (2) “extra” dmp’s in addition to your first (2)), but the maximum bag limit of bucks carrying antlers remains just (2) in most DMU’s throughout the December 26 - January 1st Holiday ML season.

You can legally kill (8) shed bucks, during the Holiday and the normal late ML season (ended Tuesday) if you have those (6) dmp’s , because both of your buck tags may also be used for antlerless deer during those seasons.

Correction (unable to edit and fix it in prior post).  The true maximum bag limit of shed bucks in many wny DMU’s during the Holiday season is 9.

To bag all 9 of them, between tomorrow and a January 1, you would need to still have your regular season “antlered” tag which is also good for a antlerless buck during the late and holiday ml seasons, your bow/ml either/or and antlerless only tags, your (2) first draw dmp’s, your (2) “extra” dmp’s, and (2) transferred dmp’s.

I only have 4 tags left (I did not receive any transferred dmp’s) , and just one is good for a buck with antlers.  If I see one of those on my first (8) Holiday hunts, he is going to need at least 4 points on a side to get that tag.  

One 3” spike will be enough for me to use it on my first two hunts of next year, which will also be my last two hunts, of this year’s Holiday season.  I will be very thankful to just see one deer thru that.  Being able to assist one or more into “deer Heaven” - mankind’s food supply, would be very nice bonus.

The Christmas morning / birthday festivities are winding down now, turkey’s in the oven, and it’s time for me to pack my wife’s mini-van for tomorrow’s “opening-day” hunts.  

The weather forecast looks good with nearly ideal meat-handling temperatures, no rain or snow, and moderate winds.

One thing that I am not certain of, is if a bear could be legally taken during the Holiday season.  I don’t expect to see any here in wmu 9F, but the warm weather seems to be keeping them out in other zones.  My mother in law just sent me pictures of fresh tracks in the snow last week up in wmu 6c. 

121865E4-16FA-479F-A497-11E5CB044A4F.thumb.jpeg.0a91822584a854c886739e0a8aa2e177.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Correction (unable to edit and fix it in prior post).  The true maximum bag limit of shed bucks in many wny DMU’s during the Holiday season is 9.
To bag all 9 of them, between tomorrow and a January 1, you would need to still have your regular season “antlered” tag which is also good for a antlerless buck during the late and holiday ml seasons, your bow/ml either/or and antlerless only tags, your (2) first draw dmp’s, your (2) “extra” dmp’s, and (2) transferred dmp’s.
I only have 4 tags left (I did not receive any transferred dmp’s) , and just one is good for a buck with antlers.  If I see one of those on my first (8) Holiday hunts, he is going to need at least 4 points on a side to get that tag.  

One 3” spike will be enough for me to use it on my first two hunts of next year, which will also be my last two hunts, of this year’s Holiday season.  I will be very thankful to just see one deer thru that.  Being able to assist one or more into “deer Heaven” - mankind’s food supply, would be very nice bonus.
The Christmas morning / birthday festivities are winding down now, turkey’s in the oven, and it’s time for me to pack my wife’s mini-van for tomorrow’s “opening-day” hunts.  
The weather forecast looks good with nearly ideal meat-handling temperatures, no rain or snow, and moderate winds.
One thing that I am not certain of, is if a bear could be legally taken during the Holiday season.  I don’t expect to see any here in wmu 9F, but the warm weather seems to be keeping them out in other zones.  My mother in law just sent me pictures of fresh tracks in the snow last week up in wmu 6c. 
121865E4-16FA-479F-A497-11E5CB044A4F.thumb.jpeg.0a91822584a854c886739e0a8aa2e177.jpeg

I’ve met maybe the most forum members of anyone on this forum. I aspire to meet you someday! Merry Xmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’ve met maybe the most forum members of anyone on this forum. I aspire to meet you someday! Merry Xmas!

Merry Christmas to you and your family also.  I will probably be down-state a few more times, over the next 3-1/2 years, so there should be time for that.

Lite beer from Miller is my go-to at joints that don’t carry Genny.  My wife couldn’t find a Genny scarf.  

I like the journal section, on the forum here, and yours is a good one.  I aim to start one of my own in 22, hopefully with a Holiday ML deer on January 1.

It looks like bear can not be taken during the “Holiday Deer Season”, because that’s what they call it on the DEC website. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Merry Christmas to you and your family also.  I will probably be down-state a few more times, over the next 3-1/2 years, so there should be time for that.

Lite beer from Miller is my go-to at joints that don’t carry Genny.  My wife couldn’t find a Genny scarf.  

I like the journal section, on the forum here, and yours is a good one.  I aim to start one of my own in 22, hopefully with a Holiday ML deer on January 1.
It looks like bear can not be taken during the “Holiday Deer Season”, because that’s what they call it on the DEC website. 

awesome. Keep us posted! If it’s the spring, maybe we can do a striper night in Tarrytown.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

Had a successful holiday hunt this am with my father. I walked, he sat. I got this buck about 930 am. Nice way to spend the day off after Christmas 

20211226_104418.jpg

Congrats on the beautiful buck.  I would like to get a deer in the back of my dad’s Ranger yet today, but so far it has just been my chainsaw.  I heard someone say those work as a deer call, but none have shown up for me yet this afternoon.   There are now trails cleared to this stand in multiple directions, so one would have an easy walk in.  

It is kind of cool, watching the Bills game on my phone up in the stand, anyhow.  

I am giving it until it is too dark to see thru my Redfield.  Usually, that has been about 20 minutes past sunset.

1EAB50AF-FC97-4A70-B816-95BDD828BD4F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Congrats on the beautiful buck.  I would like to get a deer in the back of my dad’s Ranger yet today, but so far it has just been my chainsaw.  I heard someone say those work as a deer call, but none have shown up for me yet this afternoon.   There are now trails cleared to this stand in multiple directions, so one would have an easy walk in.  

It is kind of cool, watching the Bills game on my phone up in the stand, anyhow.  

I am giving it until it is too dark to see thru my Redfield.  Usually, that has been about 20 minutes past sunset.

1EAB50AF-FC97-4A70-B816-95BDD828BD4F.jpeg

Thank you, I got the deer skinned and went back out. Did not see anything this evening but was better than sitting on the couch. Good luck to you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Lucky said:

Thank you, I got the deer skinned and went back out. Did not see anything this evening but was better than sitting on the couch. Good luck to you

I didn’t see anything tonight either, not even at squirrel.   I think I will hunt here at my parent’s place (se corner of wmu 9F) again on Thursday.

I am going to mix it up a bit then, and try my field edge stand, behind their house, in the morning (they haven’t seen any deer out there on the clover in the afternoons in a few weeks), and my trailer park stand, on the opposite corner of the woods, in the evening.

There is lots of oaks back on that corner and I saw a lot of squirrel activity back there this morning.  Hopefully, some deer will show up foraging for hidden acorns in the late afternoon.  Most all of the corn around that area had been harvested.

Tomorrow, I am hitting a couple of standing corn plots at home (20 miles away on the nw corner of wmu 9F). I will let the wind decide which one I hit in the morning, and hit the other in the evening.   I kicked a big deer out of one of those last Saturday at 3:00 pm, but couldn’t tell if it was a buck or  a doe.  

I know they are hiding in the corn by day, and I am hoping they come out of it for at shot, sometime in legal light.  Usually ,they start doing that by late ml season.  It has been tough this year,  because it has been so warm.  

Edited by wolc123

I only got out for a couple hours this morning, but it was nice hunting deer after Christmas. I wish the rain yesterday hadn't nuked the snow from Friday, that would have been better.

Edited by DirtTime
My keboard has a mind of it's own lately.

One more day of work for me, then I am planning to hit it hard the last (3) days of the Holiday season.  I saw (2) deer my last time out on yesterday, and I hope I can get a shot at one over my last (6) hunts.   

My powder and primer supply is much better now than it was yesterday (thanks Larry).  I did better shopping than I have hunting, so far thru this Holiday season.  I should be good for at least 2 more years, at the rate that I have been going thru it. 

Edited by wolc123