Anyone seeing fawns yet?

wooly

Not having any luck here yet. To make matters worse, this doesn't help none. Must have got popped within the last 2 days because it wasn't there my last time through.

I reckon it'll be any day now for a few of the lucky ones to hit the ground running. I've found one set of tracks so far but that's it. Looking forward to getting some more pics of them this year.

CSC_0305_filtered.jpg

I almost stepped on one Wednesday evening when I took my 4 wheeler over to camp. I walked back to check out the sugar beet plot and there was a doe running around. She left came back and left again. Anyway I walked the edge of the plot and went to leave. When I turned around about 3 feet from me, there was the fawn laying there in the grass. It never moved a muscle. I took a couple pics with the phone cam, which sucks, and left. I would guess maybe 2 weeks old or so.

That might be a good one for the DEC. to take a look at.They like to get a good look at the fawn (s). As far as the little ones, been seeing tracks since the 10th of May. Seeing fawns on the move quite often, some are fair size already. Yesterday, saw a huge doe with 2.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

wooly-

Any thoughts on cause of death?

Relative to your question, Yes, I have seen a doe with one fawn crossing the road in front of us.

Definately roadkilled Doc. It was only feet off the shoulder of the road. Actually the 3'rd one in 2 weeks to get popped right at the deer x-ing sign here.

Good to hear they're starting to drop around some of you guys. I thought for sure I would have seen one by now as much time I've spent looking.

Had a few doe on the trail cam really fat must be dropping this week. My brother-in-law was coming into Ithaca Saturday morning and pulled off the road and put on his blinkers. He said he saw the smallest fawn he has ever seen. About the size of a poodle that could hardly walk. He waited until it cleared the road.

Friends of mine have pictures taken with ones they found, in hay feild at their farms. Havent seen any myself yet. Last month or so my dad said there was a doe in the middle of the road and just splattered, and a fawn was hanging out of her stomach where she got run over. I didnt belive it so he took me, and sure as sh*t there was a fawn, not fully developed, didnt have much for hooves or much of ears laying out of her. This was probably a quarter mile down the road from the GMU school in Gilbertsville/Mount Uptin.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Orange county in the Monroe area. and this past week I have seen about 5 around my area with the adult. also I have seen many less fortunate fawns (roadkill) 3 that were fresh. I drive the same roads every morning and each day there is a new one in th emiddle of the road.