What Does Being A Hunter Mean To You?

Deerthug

What Does Being A Hunter Mean To You?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What Does Being A Hunter Mean To You?

• If it's brown it's down
    • It's all about the size of the rack (Trophy)
    • I hunt to fill my freezer and feed my family
    • Passing on our knowledge and experiences of hunting to our youth
    • Spending time with family and friends

Since we are just about done with Spring Turkey season, I figured I'd start a thread where we can all answer the question:

What does being a hunter mean to you? I'll start:

To me being a Hunter means being safe, ethical, respectful and responsible while participating in all aspects of hunting. But most importantly it means passing on good ethics and knowledge of hunting on to our youth so that they too can become ethical and responsible hunters.

• Like 2

To me, hunting means spending time with family and friends. I look foward to walking through the woods with my children pointing out deer sign, watching them reel in their first smallmouth, and pointing out different types of birds that land by our bird feeder.

I really enjoy the whole process of hunting from scouting, putting in food plots and hanging stands. I look forward to the ride upstate, stopping at the Stone Castle Inn for dinner, and getting the trailer ready for the weekend. I really enjoy the stories after the hunt and spending time with friends and family!!

• Like 1

For me personaly it is about enjoying nature and all it has to offer. Comradery amongst friends and respect for other hunters is highly valued. Safety is a factor I rule with a iron fist at our camp site and will not tolerate complacency. This is instilled on all hunters new and old and because of that fact, ONE hunter will not return next year... This safety is not just for the weapon, it is making sure we all come out of the woods safe and return home to our families so we can do it again next year. I instill fear in all hunters who enter the ADK where we hunt for every year someone gets lost and some never make it out, knowing your limitations is key!!! Two guys in my camp never go past 50 yards off any trail...

Killing a deer is just the means to the end that I will not sacrafice on just any deer. Being that I go for mature deer I am considered by many a trophy hunter, yet age is more importiant than the rack to me. Most deer I go after are at least 2 1/2 or older. I am asked by many why I do not hunt on LI, I explain for me it is not the same as stalking the vast woods of the ADK or the open woods of the Catskills. The deer have huge racks on LI and many trophies come from Suffolk county yet the hunting is just not the same as the Catskills or many other NY hunting area's. Lyme disease scared me! I can not say I will never hunt LI as the short ride and thrill of hunting so close to home is tempting me this year!!!

The more friends that go the better the fun. My family is not realy into hunting except one brother wich will only hunt the Catskills so our time together is limited but cherished... Sharing stories and knowledge with all hunters young and old is a part of hunting I will always enjoy! Just because I am older or have more experence than someone does not mean I can not learn from them! All hunters get to have thier own experiences and no two are exactly the same!

Soon my best friend will bring up his son and two years after his brother. I hope to instill our passion for life, nature, the thrill of the hunting and the outdoors on them so they can appreciate all it has to offer!!! I just hope he gets his 1st deer before they do!!!!!!!!!! I pushed 2 doe into him last year yet the bucks were not around... :search:

• Like 1

Its all about respecting the land and animals and taking only what you eat. For me its a way of life, saves money, and makes a person who they are and tests ones physical and mental fitness, not everyone can do what we do, sit in the woods in rain, snow or shine for hours on end, make the cleanest and most humain shot possible. As much as hunting is phyiscal it is as much mental, the hunt doesnt stop at the kill, it carrys on in memories, and follows through with tracking, cleaning, and sometimes making a mount for visual memories. Again, as i was raised, its a way of life, a way to get to know who YOU are as a person, while sitting out in the woods you have alot of time to think about things.

• Like 2

Note: This is written as my own reflection and in no means am I questioning other people's reasoning behind why they hunt.

For me, there isn't one reason why I hunt because I honestly have not found a single reason to why I hunt. There are a few possible reasons but let's be realistic, if you were trying to explain yourself with any single one of these reasons, they can counter your reason easily.

1. I WANT TO BE OUT THERE IN THE WOODS. Okay...but I can get that from hiking and camping.

2. I WANT TO EXPERIENCE NATURE. I can shoot nature with a camera more easily than I can with a rifle or bow.

3. I HUNT FOR FOOD. Let's get serious. It's not like if I don't come home with enough game, me and my family won't make it through the winter. Heck, with my novice skills, game meat makes such a insignificant part of my diet.

4. I WANT TO GET CLOSER TO MY FOOD SOURCE AND GET MY HANDS DIRTY. SO why don't you grow your own vegatables or raise your own livestock? Don't have the room or the means? Instead of going to the supermarket, you can go to a livestock market and purchase your chicken there.

5. I LIKE THE CHALLENGE OF SHOOTING A TARGET. I could do that at a warm and dry shooting range. Why take a life if all I want to do is hit a target?

6. I WANT TO BE A SURVIVALIST/OUTDOORSMAN. But yet, I'm not sitting around trying to weave baskets out of vines or trying to start a fire with two sticks.

7. I WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY. Oddly, I go hunting to get away from friends and family and destress. Sure, every once in a while I go out into the woods with friends and family and enjoy their company but it if I really want to spend time with friends and family, I organize a trip of some sort or I drive over to their place and have dinner. Besides, the only other person in my family who hunts is my brother and when we go together, we never talk. Our entire communication consists of eye contact, nods, and hand signals.

So why do I hunt? While the seven reasons I just gave are not enough of a valid reasons individually but when combined, it gives me all the reasons I need. I go hunting because of all those reasons and I can't think of a better activity that I can do that will give me the joy, the relaxation, the feeling of appreciation, and the feeling of accomplishment as I do when I go hunting.

PS: Note that I do not list trophy hunting as any of the reasons why I go hunting.

PPS: Survivalist/Outdoorsman. I have a friend who is an investment banker. He once told me that if he had one regret is that he picked a career that offers no real skill of value. If all hell breaks loose and SHTF, a mechanic can fix cars. Doctors can heal people. Since all he can do is manage money and in a post-apocalyptic world money has no value, he would essentially be useless.

• Like 2

I Hunt alone, no family or kids to pass what knowledge i believe i have or experiences on or my hunting stories to. hunting to me is just getting out and enjoying nature and in turn maybe getting meat to bring home

The reasons change with time & circumstances. These days it's mostly to TRY filling the freezer (doesn't always work out that way). As a kid it was because it was something new and I felt cool carrying a gun and hanging out with the older guys. In my 20s it was about chasing trophies and going to camp and having some cold ones. In my 30s it was a luxury, since I worked 24/7, and any time away from this routine was a joy. In my 40s it was making up for lost time, hunting species I had never hunted before (because I was finally a little ahead of the game financially), and trying to pass my passion along to the kids. As I'm pushing 50, I'm still trying to get my kids involved (2 steps forward, 1 step back), and as I find better spots to fish and hunt and become more in tune with it all, seems like we're eating fish or deer/geese/turkey more nights than not.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

The reasons change with time & circumstances. These days it's mostly to TRY filling the freezer (doesn't always work out that way). As a kid it was because it was something new and I felt cool carrying a gun and hanging out with the older guys. In my 20s it was about chasing trophies and going to camp and having some cold ones. In my 30s it was a luxury, since I worked 24/7, and any time away from this routine was a joy. In my 40s it was making up for lost time, hunting species I had never hunted before (because I was finally a little ahead of the game financially), and trying to pass my passion along to the kids. As I'm pushing 50, I'm still trying to get my kids involved (2 steps forward, 1 step back), and as I find better spots to fish and hunt and become more in tune with it all, seems like we're eating fish or deer/geese/turkey more nights than not.

Uncle Nicki - I like your timeline. It sure sounds like mine! In 1966 I purchased my first rifle a Rem 700 BDL 30-06, went hunting with my dad and shot my first deer in 1967. I was 17 then and over the years I have learned much from those that exemplified the true hunter. I passed the hunting exam in German and learned so much about the history of hunting from my mentor. I did shoot a nice Roebuck there. Then in Spain, although there was no hunting course, I did hunt mostly small game. The story goes on into Nebraska, Florida and now back in New York. The excitement for me is the HUNT...not the shooting. I also take great pleasure in mentoring beginning hunters no matter what their age is. Hell, I am 62 and still learning new things. LOL So, for me the HUNT is over when I pull the trigger and am successful. By the way, that 30-06 I bought was given to my son who now uses it. I am now using MY dad's gun, a Rem 700 BDL in .308 that he purchased new in 1963. One of the first .308's that Rem produced.

• Like 1

I picked the last 3 answers . Although, they do not explain all my reason to hunt. Early in the season(archery) I am not near so selective. Normally the 1st buck and or large doe that gives me an easy shot. After that I settle in for the season and wait for an 8 point or better. I can and have come close to sitting all season without harvesting an animal. I love the peace and quiet of the woods. It's the only time quiet enough to hear the ringing in my ears lol (that part sucks).

I can and have come close to sitting all season without harvesting an animal. I love the peace and quiet of the woods. It's the only time quiet enough to hear the ringing in my ears lol (that part sucks).

That was me last year. Didn't take anything but I still enjoyed the peace and quiet of the woods especially listening to the woods waking up in the morning.

I Hunt alone, no family or kids to pass what knowledge i believe i have or experiences on or my hunting stories to.

I'm in the same boat. B)

This quote works for me;

"To sum up, one does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted....." Jose Ortega

But this does too;

"Use enough gun...." Ruark

I enjoy sitting outside and watching the woods come alive in the wee early hours of the morning. I enjoy spending time with my friends and I look forward to passing my knowledge down to my son and watch him grow into a responsible hunter.I seleced all options to vote for, although. the option "if its brown its down" That one can make me look immature and irresponsible so let me explain real quick. I enjoy a mature buck, who doesnt, but I also enjoy taking mature doe. I try my best and pick out the biggest (most mature) deer of the herd. if i have that chance. Even though many people will take a fawn, I let them pass and give them a chance to grow, learn, and reproduce. So I do not just shoot anything that may be infront of me. We ALL get excited when any size or sex deer walk in front of us Sizeing them up to try and determine the age and decide to let them pass or shoot defines you as a person and hunter.. Happy hunting!!.

Every reason I read is good and makes great sense to me. I would like to add that we the stewards of hunting need to pass on the traditions we have so much learned and enjoyed. More and more I read that the number of hunting licenses sold in NY State is on the downward slope. Maybe one can "Adopt a Hunter" in our communities. What do you think about that?

• Like 1

I don't see many brown and down guys here. We know your out thier!!! While many of us "older" hunters go after more mature deer as our passion, the brown and down crowd is a huge part of what is needed in population control!!! Area's with high population of people and deer require hunters with this mentality to keep the herd in check... Do not feel this is wrong... If every one of us said I will let that one go and wait for a better or more desireable deer we would be overrun and hunting as part of populaton control would be over... I have no objection to brown and down as hunting is to each his own. (As long as the animal is utilized.) We have a guy who post about whacking doe all the time, sure most know who I am talking about... People like him are needed to keep populations under control and have just as much repect from me as the guy who passes multiple deer for that one special buck.

We are all an elite group, not because we own guns or because we hunt but because we appreciate all that nature has to offer and accept the fact that meat comes from animals and are willing to go through the entire process from seeing our prey to eating... And that is what makes hunters so special... IMO

Hunters will always be the best stewarts as we are part of nature instead of just VIEWING nature and that is a concept the PETA types will never understand! :hunter-smiley-face:

I find the biggest enjoyment from mentoring a young or old first time hunter and seeing the joy in their eyes when they harvest something.

I agree with Bubba. At this point in my hunting life I enjoy mentoring young hunters and seeing someone new harvest their first deer.

My answer would be none of the above... hunting is all about experiencing the outdoors and the glory of nature... killing a deer is simply a bonus for me... I would still hunt if I never killed a deer... it wasn't always that way maybe, but my appreciation for all the things God has given me has given me a new perspective on how lucky I am to be able to experience all the great things that the outdoors has to offer. I can't imagine life without it.

• Like 2

I love being out in the fall woods. The smells and sounds excite me. The expectation of seeing a deer fills me with nervous anticipation. Taking a deer is a heart pounding thrill with out compare. I enjoy sharing my sucess and failures with my family and friends and hearing of theirs. I enjoy the serenity of just sitting in the tree stand. It is the simple enjoyment of life that keeps me coming back.

• Like 1

I love being out in the fall woods. The smells and sounds excite me. The expectation of seeing a deer fills me with nervous anticipation. Taking a deer is a heart pounding thrill with out compare. I enjoy sharing my sucess and failures with my family and friends and hearing of theirs. I enjoy the serenity of just sitting in the tree stand. It is the simple enjoyment of life that keeps me coming back.

There we go.....Phillyguns is on the money.

For me; none of your polling options!

Simply love to be outdoors, in a stand during the fall months & enjoying nature.

If I see squirrels, turkeys or deer - it's an unanticipated bonus. Icing on the cake.

Per chance I get an opportunity to shoot a deer, sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

Love watching the animals, listening for twigs snapping or the slightest of movement in the brush.

When I was working, hunting was an escape from the day-to-day stresses.

Sort of a mind cleansing or rejuvenation process.

Now that I'm retired it's more of a reflecting therapy.

Hunting is freedom....

When I am in the woods, I am free from all of my responsibilities, if only for a few hours, or perhaps for a few days..

I enjoy all of the experience...I do a lot of birdwatching.. When I'm hunting deer or turkeys I enjoy the squirrels and other critters...

I enjoy not having to interact with other people.. Being in the woods alone can be very theraputic...

I have never been a trophy hunter, but I am quite selective... I don't shoot jakes, I don't shoot fawns.. When duck hunting I try to pick out the drakes..

I could care less about trophies at this stage in my life..

I don't feel I need game meat, but all of my adult life I have had 2 or 3 deer a year plus a few dozen squirrels and rabbits and a few game birds, and I would truly miss it if I could no longer have it.. I also eat a lot of fish that I catch, and I would miss that also..

• Like 3