Hunting Shows Making Me Cringe!!

Cabin Fever

The following disclaimer to the ladies that are forum members:

Please note that "Doc" is not entering into the latest turn of this topic. I have nothing to do with it, and (as Tim the Toolman used to say) "I have no opinion" on the subject of lady hunter hosts. ;)

Wow, the world MUST be coming to an end.  Doc actually has NO opinion on something.  :D  I think it's all a ploy to get on the good side with any women that might be on this site.  He's probably figuring that in his advancing years he might get lucky one more time before he departs for the final happy hunting grounds!    8)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's really just unrealistic what everyone is doing these days.  There is a lot to it and you never see the work that goes into it.  I'm going to put together a document of all the advice everyone had and hand it out to my guys and tell them this is what you need to keep in mind while your filming this year.

Build a story, whether positive or negative, just build a story that people can relate to.

It's really just unrealistic what everyone is doing these days.  There is a lot to it and you never see the work that goes into it.  I'm going to put together a document of all the advice everyone had and hand it out to my guys and tell them this is what you need to keep in mind while your filming this year.

Build a story, whether positive or negative, just build a story that people can relate to.

Actually, Jim Shockey put on a couple of episodes of The Professionals that actually turned the cameras around to chronicle some of the behind-the-scenes effort and activity, and it was quite impressive. And I have no doubt that every episode is a logistical nightmare, and a ton of editing and hours of just plain work. Those thoughts are kind of what Shockey implied when he said that producing hunting shows is not about recreation but is just plain work. More work than anyone not in the business can imagine. He really didn't paint a very enviable picture of the hunting show industry. He convinced me that I wouldn't want anything to do with it. :)

If your videos are truly unique, creative, inventive and contain an episode here and there that gets outside the actual hunt and deals with some of the peripheral activities that are behind the scenes of the hunt, I'll be looking forward to seeing some of them. If they turn out to be simply a rehash of a decade's worth of old deer hunting shows, I'll pass. It's very easy on my end as the consumer. It's been getting very easy to hit the channel selector when I start seeing one of the boring shows begin to fire up....lol.

Doc

they are ok once an awhile but they realy do not hunt like we do in new york we could be on stand all day and not see any thing when you see them on tv they are hunting where the deer are use to people being there they also feed them and bait them thats not like us going up the mountain to hunt.

they are ok once an awhile but they realy do not hunt like we do in new york we could be on stand all day and not see any thing when you see them on tv they are hunting where the deer are use to people being there they also feed them and bait them thats not like us going up the mountain to hunt.

I dont think thats necessarily true. Those guys could be out there hunting for a week or two or even more, you just see a few minutes worth of film when they either saw or shot a deer. When I hunt my area, a day doenst usually go by without a sighting or two. Now if I get a shot, thats a different story. Once in a while I go without seeing anything, but not that often.

On the show, a segment was about how a 100", 2 1/2+ year old deer in an area that has hunting pressure and human intrusions is as much a trophy to hunters as a 170" buck from remote areas in Iowa farmlands or Saskatchewan woods. The 100" buck becomes smart very fast and thus elusive. They rightfully stated that the 100" buck was a trophy that any hunter in those areas should be proud of. The title was "100" Booner".

You need to watch the show & discussion to get the full impact of the comparision.

On the show, a segment was about how a 100", 2 1/2+ year old deer in an area that has hunting pressure and human intrusions is as much a trophy to hunters as a 170" buck from remote areas in Iowa farmlands or Saskatchewan woods. The 100" buck becomes smart very fast and thus elusive. They rightfully stated that the 100" buck was a trophy that any hunter in those areas should be proud of. The title was "100" Booner".

You need to watch the show & discussion to get the full impact of the comparision.

I saw the show also, Charlie Alsheimer (sp) brought up some interesting points. I especially liked the point he made regarding highly pressured deer on Public Land, in short the dumb bucks get killed while the bigger boys hunker down.

Hey  Doc no disclaimers needed as far as I'm concerned!...If they can't get woman hunters on these shows that look like real woman hunters they shouldn't be there! I can tell ya in my younger years ...many less grey in hair and material in my clothes ::( ....I still didn't look so hot at 4am ...having showered in no scent ... several layers of camo ...bandanna holding hair and hunting boots on...headed out the door ....then after the shot ...up to my elbows in blood from gutting the deer  and then dragging it out...I never had to have some guy walk me through  the woods to my stand and tell me when and what to shoot....good god what a joke...........

• 2 weeks later...

Saw another one today that pi---d me off. This goober shoots a bear out of a stand with a muzzleloader over bait. It drops and start rolling around bawling out with the most pittifull sound you ever heard. This went on for about 30 seconds before the bear let out one last wimper and expired. The whole time he's laughing his stupid head off and giving high fives to the camera man. They even put a a disclaimer at the bottom of the screen that he was not laughing at the bear but he was excited he had just shot the bear. The whole time im like man is PETA going to have a ball with this one, and Im glad my daughter wasn't here to see that. My daughter likes to watch hunting shows with me but I think after that stupid show she would have been bawling like a baby at this bear rolling around screaming at the top of his lungs. What a bunch of douche bags.

I'm kind of glad I did watch it though because now I know what kind of raucous a bear that is shot makes. I guess they call it a death bawl, which is the most awe full  sound I have ever heard. I was planning on shooting a bear this yr since I see them all the time and there is at least 8 different bear where I hunt but now thats out.  ;) I'm not against shooting them, just don't think its for me. Also what are there sponsers thinking? Do these companies actually screen what they are putting there name on?

I'm kind of glad I did watch it though because now I know what kind of raucous a bear that is shot makes. I guess they call it a death bawl, which is the most awe full  sound I have ever heard. I was planning on shooting a bear this yr since I see them all the time and there is at least 8 different bear where I hunt but now thats out.  ;)

I shot a bear about 20 years ago in Canada.  I tell you it was far from one of my most memorable hunting experiences.  I had an opportunity to shoot at a bear last year here in NY, but passed on the shot.  I have no desire taking another one.  A bear looks pretty eery once it is skinned also.  Very human like features.  Even the way it lays once it gets killed looks a bit creepy, with it's arms to his side, just as a human would have if he were laying dead on the ground.  Then people like to eat bear meat?  They can keep it!!  I'll stick to shooting and eating deer. 

Then people like to eat bear meat?  They can keep it!!  I'll stick to shooting and eating deer.

I always figured eating a bear is like eating somebody's dog, just a lot bigger ..... lol. It's just a mental thing with me based on absolutely no logic, but I have a hard time eating a carnivore. ::D  Somebody else can have my share.

Doc

Then people like to eat bear meat?  They can keep it!!  I'll stick to shooting and eating deer.

I always figured eating a bear is like eating somebody's dog, just a lot bigger ..... lol. It's just a mental thing with me based on absolutely no logic, but I have a hard time eating a carnivore. ::D  Somebody else can have my share.

Doc

I agree.  Any meat can be edible I guess, but I surely am not desperate enough to eat bear meat at this point when I have numerous other options. 

My friend who owns the land where I hunt was a bit ticked at me last year for not killing that bear.  He said that he knows a number of people who would have gladly taken and eaten that meat.  I told him if they want bear meat they can go out and shoot it themselves.  I honestly have no interest shooting any more bears.  I don't want the meat nor will I spend $1000 or more to make a rug out of it, so why should I shoot it?  Let the beast live on!